Age and Horn Weight

The bulk of the musical talk
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Re: Age and Horn Weight

Post by jperry1466 »

MaryAnn wrote:My father was a three packs a day unfiltered camel smoker. When the lung cancer data came out, he quit cold turkey. Actually that would indicate that I wasn't in a smoking household during all the time I said I was, because of when he quit. I do remember ashtrays full of butts though, and how bad they smelled to me. What I don't remember is any hoopla when he quit; he just did it. He didn't die of any smoking related disease. Neither did my mother, who was never able to quit having the very occasional cigarette when she was upset.
Seemed to me that almost every adult smoked when I was a kid in the 50s and 60s. My dad started smoking in the army but quit when my younger siblings came along. At age 7, I asked a chain-smoking uncle if I could have a "puff" of his cigarette. After I puked for an hour, I never had the urge to smoke ever again. My surgeries and long recoveries/rehabs, plus an annual problem with bronchitis depleted my lung capacity. Wish I had known 30 years ago that allergy shots would prevent the bronchitis episodes.

The most interesting smoker was my grandmother, who cooked a big farm breakfast of sourdough biscuits, eggs, and bacon. She would eat breakfast, clear away the dishes, and then get her morning cup of coffee and smoke her one cigarette of the day, a filtered Kool menthol.
sirtar
lurker
lurker

Post by sirtar »

I myself have entered a stage when my Cerveny 691 is getting heavy to carry. I carry the horn is a gig bag, it is parking the car and walking half a mile that is not easy. Many times the distance is close and have to wiggle into spaces. Love the sound of the horn. But now that I am in my 60’s, I have to give up the horn to continue.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I played violin in the Memphis symphony during about the 1971-72 season sometime. Were you a kid then?
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Here's my Jupiter/ Stofer CC sousaphone, but now with a King fiberglass bell. The bell arrived Friday. I painted it Friday afternoon and I used it for 2 gigs this past weekend The fiberglass bell made a big difference for aging me. It's 5 lbs. lighter than the Jupiter brass bell. The brass bell definitely sounds better - more overtones and brighter sounding. I feel likes it projects more too. The fiberglass bell is darker and maybe even a bit more dull sounding, but 5 lbs. less weight makes a difference. And on Sunday's gig, I had a mic in the bell. When it's miked, you probably can't tell which bell is on there. It's a great old man sousaphone.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

A brass Sousa with a glass bell makes more sense to me than a glass Sousa with a brass bell...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Post by eupho »

Would you consider the COOLWIND?
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I was actually somewhat tempted recently, just an impulse but buoyed by convincing reports that the tuba (the one I was looking at anyway) actually delivers a pretty big, convincing sound, like it was designed to appeal to active players. I didn't follow through, though. Though not terribly expensive, it's a lot for something that's going to deteriorate as fast as that. But if you need a new lightweight tuba but don't expect to need it for long, and don't mind that it's made in China, it looks like an option.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

PaulMaybery wrote:I feel your pain Terry.

Wheels. We need dem WHEELS.

There is a neat contraption called the upcart. It's designed with 3 sets of wheels to handle stairs.

http://www.amazon.com/UpCart-All-Terrai ... rds=upcart" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

I'm so close to ordering one. Even the small tubas present a problem when there is distance involved.

In the mean time I am using a handcart that I bought at ACE Hardware and I strap the Tuba in the gig bag to the tubing with a large Velcro Strap. It's not ideal but it does work.

Hi-
After reading this and seeing them at ITEC in Iowa, I ordered one of these (UpCart) for gigs where parking away from the venue is required.
I used it for the first time yesterday in Syracuse playing in the pickup orchestra for Weird Al Yankovic. A bunch of us road down together and the cart folds down very nice. When we got there, I opened up the cart, put the gig bag with horn on it, strapped on two bungee cords over bag and cart, and away we went. These carts are great. A few blocks away, and then inside the theater door and up stairs, no problems at all. After the gig, same thing, and going down stairs a snap with it, and back to vehicle. Being extremely hot and humid yesterday, this could have been a nightmare, but with the UpCart, a breeze. Doing his show again in a week and a half, and will use it again. HIGHLY recommended!

https://upcart.com/" target="_blank

Mark
Last edited by bisontuba on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LCH3
bugler
bugler

Post by LCH3 »

bisontuba wrote:
Hi-
After reading this and seeing them at ITEC in Iowa, I ordered one of these (UpCart) for gigs where parking away from the venue is required.
I used it for the first time yesterday in Syracuse playing in the pickup orchestra for Weird Al Yankovic. A bunch of us road down together and the cart folds down very nice. When we got there, I opened up the cart, put the gig bag with horn on it, strapped on two bungee cords over bag and cart, and away we went. These carts are great. A few blocks away, and then inside the theater door and up stairs, no problems at all. After the gig, same thing, a photo of theand going down stairs a snap with it, and back to vehicle. Being extremely hot and humid yesterday, this could have been a nightmare, but with the UpCart, a breeze. Doing his show again in a week and a half, and will use it again. HIGHLY recommended!

https://upcart.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Mark
Thanks, Mark. Which of the three models did you purchase and could you add a photo of the tuba on the cart?
Larry Haake
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
I bought mine not from them, but on Amazon. Mine is the 'original' model, good for 100 lbs. The basic model is fine for a tuba.
When I use it again, I will take a pic of the tuba in bag on it.
Mark