The bulk of the musical talk
TubaSteve
bugler
bugler

Re: Looking for BBb tuba recommendations

Post by TubaSteve »

Look at this website;

http://contemporacorner.com/other/" target="_blank" target="_blank

Lots of information on the Reynolds horns.

Steve

1958, 1959 Roth-Reynolds catalogs:

The new Reynolds Contempora Recording Bass adds symphonic richness to the foundation of either band or orchestra. Culminating years of extensive research and development, this new model has been immediately acclaimed by noted band directors and symphony players. The larger size of Reynolds Contempora provides practically unlimited possibilities of solid, rich tone ranging in dynamics from a full fortissimo to a faint whisper in all registers. Lightening-fast action of the valves together with easy response make possible the playing of the most difficult and intricate passages with great facility. The remarkable tone control of the Reynolds Contempora Basses is a result of many years of research to obtain just the right resistance in the air column. Of great importance to the audience during a performance is the breath-taking beauty in the greatness and gracefulness of Reynolds Contempora Recording Basses.

The Reynolds Contempora Tuba with its beautiful pipe organ tone creates a full, yet diffused, foundation for band or orchestra. Popular choice of famous symphony artists, the upright (European style) bell has many advantages. Basically the tuba possesses all of the marvelous playing characteristics of model 170 Reynolds Recording Bass for the body sections are identical. The long, graceful upright bell distributes widely the full, rich Reynolds tone and imparts a thrilling sonority which blends with either brass or strings. With the use of interchangeable bells, it is possible to alter the complete tonal color of either symphonic band or orchestra. Further, the conductor may select the ‘non-directional’ sound of the tuba or the comparatively ‘directional’ tones of the recording model. Reynolds Contempora Tubas are designed to rest safely on the bell in an inverted position.
MW-25, 2-Reynolds 170 (BBb Recording Bass), Reynolds 180 (EEb Recording Bass) , 2-Reynolds 140 Sousaphones, Holton 350, others.....
saxophyte
bugler
bugler

Post by saxophyte »

How about a Martin mammoth 3 valve recording bell $1100
bhkingtuba
lurker
lurker

Post by bhkingtuba »

There are great deals out there if you beat the bushes. In the last week I purchased a 70's King BBb model 1240 with recording bell and both cases for $500. Missing some lacquer, the mouthpiece and with a couple of small dents, but was recently overhauled. Plays well.

With some consistent searching and a little luck you should find what your looking for. I found mine on Facebook marketplace, give it a try.

I would recommend the BBb tuba, especially if you have played trumpet, cornet or baritone in the past, they have the same fingering.

my 2 cents FWIW...Good luck
sweaty
bugler
bugler

Post by sweaty »

saxophyte,

Are you selling a Martin mammoth 3 valve recording bell for $1100? If so, where are you and can you post photos?
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

There's a very slim possibility you might find him over in the "For Sale" section, where people post about stuff like that, hopefully with photos. But bear in mind, he wrote that years ago.
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

NCSUSousa wrote:You're not going to find a new BBb tuba for $1200.
A new Wessex TB330 BBb tuba is priced well under $1200. While it doesn’t possess as “hefty” a sound as some larger horns, its ruggedness and attractive price are reasons why it’s a very popular tuba for schools and individuals. It’ll do everything well that you would expect from a relatively compact 3-valve BBb, including privileged tones:

https://wessex-tubas.com/collections/tu ... dent-tb330

Like all Wessex tubas, it comes with a 14-Day Trial Period. If you’re not pleased with the horn, you can return it to Wessex within 14 days of your receipt of the tuba for a full refund of your purchase price minus return shipping (shipping to you is free).

Of course, you could take a shot at one of the used tubas listed in this thread. Some of them might serve your needs quite well.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
BrassedOn
bugler
bugler

Post by BrassedOn »

I concur with staying with King. If you find one with the detachable recording bell, you might find the upright bell down the road. If the 3 valve version still has the old style first valve tuning at the bottom only, that is a pretty standard operation to flip or add a tuning slide on the upper bow. I find the recording a back pain if standing, but plenty of people march or stroll with the King recording with a strap.

Nice pages for King horn pics:
http://www.hnwhite.com/Low%20Brass.htm#Symphony" target="_blank" target="_blank
https://marge.home.xs4all.nl/king_2340_ ... 6TbchNKj-Y" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
"Do less, better."
19xx? Blessing Sousaphone BBb
1970s King 3b Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision bass
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

sweaty wrote:saxophyte,

Are you selling a Martin mammoth 3 valve recording bell for $1100? If so, where are you and can you post photos?
The post is is from 2016, so if he's been trying to sell it all this time the price is probably down to about $150 or so.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Post by Davidus1 »

KiltieTuba wrote:
Joemac wrote:I guess I should have mentioned. I've no intention of buying new. The one I'm playing was bought for well under 1200.
So, why not find one of those?

Heck, you can find the 1240/2340 King (the three valve model of the 1241/2341) for cheap prices. Dig through the For Sale board and see what's around, check the auction sites too.
+1. You can find both the 3 and 4 valve models in good shape for your listed price. They are dependable, plenty of spare parts and they can take a beating. I don't think you can do much better. I don't disagree with the Olds 99 as a choice either but you could probably find a good King 4 valve for this. The Olds probably would end up being 3 valves. That may not matter.....best wishes in your search!
John 3:16

Mack Brass 200S BBb
Yamaha YSL-630 .525 Trombone
Conn 15I Euphonium
Mack Brass Euphonium