How to write for Euphonium?

The bulk of the musical talk
Anterux
pro musician
pro musician

How to write for Euphonium?

Post by Anterux »

I'm composing a piece for Euphonium solo.

In US what is the usual way to write for Euphonium?

Bb trebble cleff or C Bass Cleff? (or other? or both?)

thank you.
Bob Mosso
bugler
bugler

Re: How to write for Euphonium?

Post by Bob Mosso »

I would say both. Seems to be a 50-50 split here in the US.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

I agree, both. It's a real pain to produce two additional parts when writing tuba-euphonium quartet music, but some folks simply refuse to learn the other guy's notation.

Just don't write it in C tenor clef and you'll be okay.
Charlie Goodman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Charlie Goodman »

If you're using Finale or Sibelius, doing both wouldn't be a problem, so I'd suggest just writing it they way you're most comfortable and then also make a transposed version.
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

Real euphonium players play in bass clef. Those who play in treble clef are either in a "British (style) Brass Band" or converted trumpet players. :wink:

Seriously, I think the right answer is both.
Bob Mosso
bugler
bugler

Post by Bob Mosso »

On a related note.

If anyone needs a Bb TC euph part for Sousa's Library of Congress March let me know, I just finished transposing it from the BC euphonium part.

Bob
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Chuck(G) wrote:I agree, both. It's a real pain to produce two additional parts when writing tuba-euphonium quartet music, but some folks simply refuse to learn the other guy's notation.

Well, uh, if it's C tenor clef you can just ignore the clef and read it as if it were treble clef, and change the key signature in your head.

MA, who always has to point stuff out
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

Chuck(G) wrote:I agree, both. It's a real pain to produce two additional parts when writing tuba-euphonium quartet music, but some folks simply refuse to learn the other guy's notation.

I'd vote for tenor clef. That way both BC and TC reader are on equal fiooting, having to learn a new clef:)

Seriously, though. Both are very common, so most U.S. works have both T.C and B.C versions. If you're wrioting for a quartet, I expect the players could read both, or at least learn if needed. This isn't a H.S. band peice after all.

Which clef also depends on the range. I see lot's of trombone quartet/quintet works where 3 and (or 5) are in B.C. while 1 and 2 are tenor clef. If it mostly above the staff, use tenor for readability.

As a side note, I'd love to see tuba parts in a new clef that moves everything up. Contra bass clef doesn't go far enough, on one line). But not an ovtave transposition either. I guess we could all just read (Bb ? ) treble clef, and ignore the octave differences, like Drum Corps (what has a transposition to G as well).
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

MaryAnn wrote: Well, uh, if it's C tenor clef you can just ignore the clef and read it as if it were treble clef, and change the key signature in your head.

MA, who always has to point stuff out
Come again? If the 2nd line(down) is a C in tenor, and the second space if a C in treble, how does that work? Do you mean Bb treble clef (ala trumpet)? I ask because I was just playing jazz stuff written in C treble clef. A real mess, since I keep thinking Bb T.C :(
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

Ignore the tenor clef and substitute the treble clef -- along with a new key signature having two fewer flats, or two more sharps. The notes are read just as usual for a treble clef instrument -- say trumpet, T-Sax or Baritone-TC, (which is transposed for Bb instr). A written second line 'F' is now read as the treble clef second line 'G'. Even the octave will be correct!

Sorry... boworred this from a tenor sax site

As you mentioned, the second line down is concert "C". For that note, a treble clef instrument would read that as "D", which would be the correct pitch.
Last edited by Rick F on Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

Rick F wrote:The notes are read just as usual for a treble clef instrument -- say trumpet, T-Sax or Baritone-TC, (which is transposed for Bb instr). A written second line 'F' is now read as the treble clef second line 'G'. Even the octave will be correct!
So no instrument plays concert pitch treble clef (normally)?

Strings (violin, guitar, banjo) and piano (is that a string instrument?) are concert pitches right?

I suspect it's just as easy (maybe easier) to learn the new clef instead of trying to remember different key changes (especially accidentals). And when references to note are mad buy other players/conductor they'll say "F" as written, not "G" since they are reading the pitch correctly.

And it only helps if you are used to reading Bb treble clef parts.
Ames0325
bugler
bugler

Post by Ames0325 »

So no instrument plays concert pitch treble clef (normally)?

Strings (violin, guitar, banjo) and piano (is that a string instrument?) are concert pitches right?

I suspect it's just as easy (maybe easier) to learn the new clef instead of trying to remember different key changes (especially accidentals). And when references to note are mad buy other players/conductor they'll say "F" as written, not "G" since they are reading the pitch correctly.

And it only helps if you are used to reading Bb treble clef parts.
I think flutes and oboes play concert pitch treble clef.
I think it is probably easier to learn a new clef than try to remember all the transpositions. I learned viola a few years to help my miniscule HS orch. ( I hardly ever playit now.) Having never played violin it was a hard enough task to begin with if I had had to transpose either treble or bass clef at the same time while I was just learning I probably would have given up in frustration after the first few weeks. And I generally don't give up that easily.

Amy
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

ThomasDodd wrote:And it only helps if you are used to reading Bb treble clef parts.
Yes, I guess that' true.
Anterux
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Anterux »

Is Banjo in concert pitch? doesn't it sound one octave lower like guitar?
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

You mean there's a pitch to that 'twang' sound? :roll:
Anterux
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Anterux »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Anterux wrote:Is Banjo in concert pitch? doesn't it sound one octave lower like guitar?
It souinds as written--sort of. There's a peculiar system of chord notation where the player plays the same key chord as written, but distributes the notes among the strings as he sees fit.

Mandolin is in concert pitch, as is C trumpet, harp, dulcimer and soprano flute (other flutes are transposing). High range on the cello is sometimes written in nontransposing treble clef.