Megatone Mouth Pieces

The bulk of the musical talk
Tuba5547
lurker
lurker

Megatone Mouth Pieces

Post by Tuba5547 »

I have been using a Bach 18 mouthpiece for over 30 years. I just purchased a new Cerveny BBb 4 valve tuba, and I have been looking at several "new" types of mouth pieces. I like the write ups on the megatone mouthpieces, but am confused in the cup size numbers. With the old Bach numbers, the higher the number, the deeper the cup; but I read where a 7 cup is the deepest, and the 24AW is the smallest. I would like a mouthpiece that will give me a deep,beautiful tone on this new tuba. Suggestions / clarification, Thanks!!
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Megatone Mouth Pieces

Post by Donn »

I think you may misremember how the Bach numbers work. Smaller numbers have always been larger mouthpieces - think of it as a gauge, which usually go that way, like wire gauge or shotgun gauge or whatever.

I've never seen a Megatone in person, but I think the story is that they are about the same size as the corresponding classic Bach mouthpiece, but have a larger throat and maybe a different backbore. Some people like them, some don't.

Congrats on the Cerveny. It might be worth the money to try a few things, because no one can really say how a mouthpiece will work out for you. My suggestion will be the Faxx HB, because I think it's pretty good, it's distinctively different from your 18, and it's less than $60.
gregsundt
Undecided
Undecided

Post by gregsundt »

Don't be afraid to stay with the 18. Especially after 30 years, you might be hard-pressed to find anything you like better. Mouthpieces are always more or less a trade-off, but there is a reason the Bach 18 has been so widely copied over the years. FWIW, I played the CC version of your new tuba with a Bach 18 until I traded for bigger equipment. I still think it's a good combination for all-around work, and I still use the 18 as often as my bigger Helleberg-style piece.

No opinion on the Megatone, but I do like the 18M with a bigger throat and backbore.
"The only problem with that tuba is, it does everything you tell it to!" - Robert LeBlanc
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

Never seen a tuba megatone. A bach 18 variant I like is King 18: seems a lil deeper. It's not heavyweight, more like a minimal blank actually.

Hellebergs work really well on that kind of tuba. I guess because they are so lightweight, they don't need much mouthpiece help to brighten the tone if desired.