Wick Wireless Pick-Up/Tuner Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Wick Wireless Pick-Up/Tuner

Postby LCH3 » Tue May 03, 2016 10:24 am

Greetings,

This is a report on my use of the Wick Wireless Pick-Up and Tuner being offered by Bloke (see Sponsors section for his product announcement.) I am using same with my Korg tuner – not included with the package.

The Wick device has a receiver that plugs into the tuner and a transmitter that clips onto the instrument – anywhere on the instrument. When the receiver is plugged in, the built-in mic deactivates and the source becomes the transmitted signal.

For practice time, it is great to work on note accuracy without concern for the impact of low/high ceiling, overall room size or ambient noise. I have also used it during band rehearsal. It is not that effective for fast pieces, like marches, because the notes are moving too fast. In non-fast music (not necessarily slow, just not real fast) it helps to show slight adjustments I need to make during actual playing to improve note accuracy. While the pros may have these adjustments in their heads as second-nature, this device will help me as an amateur to develop that second-nature skill with notes.

I think the Wick device is a helpful tool for not a lot of money. I like it.

Thanks.
Larry Haake
Chesterfield, VA
LCH3
bugler
bugler

Re: Wick Wireless Pick-Up/Tuner

Postby bloke » Tue May 03, 2016 11:05 am

I'm glad you like it Larry.

I'm making a fortune off those things. :lol:

As might have been notice in the "For Sale" forum, I'm selling ($5 or so) my old WIRED device that did the same thing.

The PROBLEM with the WIRED one was this: After a while, I would FORGET that it was hooked up and would lean back or stand up. When I did that, (yup) the wire would pull the tuner off the stand and it would crash against the tuba. :(

dumb :arrow: bloke "yup"
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby PaulMaybery » Tue May 03, 2016 11:12 am

Yes. A good tool. Had mine a month or so.
A couple of pros and cons.

CONS:
The physical item: seems to pop open and drop the battery all to often. PITA crawling around on the floor trying to find them. Solution a small piece of tape.

Batteries really do not last that long. One of mine went last evening while warming up for a rehearsal. Need to carry spares and extra tape.

The electronics - whatever: It is somewhat slow in response. So as the OP mentioned, it is not that great for fast notes.

PROS:
The idea of having a dedicated transmission, of just your tuba, is a definite plus.
I find it helpful in the orchestra during warmups, when everyone is noodling. I can get a good perspective of my notes and where they are fitting in with relation to A = 440.
In Minnesota, in the dark months, horns get pretty cold when transporting them to a gig. It takes the guesswork out of how long it actually takes to warm up to where the pitch is accurate.
Once we actually start playing, I put it away and concentrate on the music. If I can't play in tune with my own ear, I'm in deep weeds.

Plugs into most tuners.

Questions:
I wonder how long it will actually last.
A little clip-on mic a couple of years back,lasted about 2 months and then just died. Same with some ear buds I had for my cell phone. I'll use it, wait, and see.

Worth it?
IMHO - Yes - but I did get it for $25 on sale. Not sure if I would have paid full price.
But I do use it and have learned a few things, so that is good. :tuba: :D

Thanks for the post and reminding us about this little gem.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Tue May 03, 2016 11:24 am

:arrow: http://www.deniswick.com/all-products/item/tuner-accessories/wireless-pick-up-and-tuner

I'm not going to sell them that cheap ($25 is about $1 over cost :( ), but I'm not even going to mark them up $10 over cost. (me: $33)
"List" is $52, and yeah, that's way too much to pay.

The reason I decided to carry them is because I was having trouble finding them in stock anywhere, and (with Stephen Wick having shown his to me at Midwest) I wanted one for myself...so I'm now a "Wick dealer" fwiw...

So far, the battery compartments on mine are tight (but I haven't dropped them on the floor yet - like I eventually do with most stuff I own)...and I just shut it off when I'm through with it. The RED light sorta reminds me to do that. I'm pretty sure (??) that I noticed that (once, when I didn't shut it off), it shut itself off.

Mrs. bloke keeps those Jefferson-nickel-size wafer batteries in the pantry (fit other things we own), but so far I haven't had to visit the pantry.

:arrow: Again, I've used a WIRED (similar) device for years (in the back of the orchestra...particularly if/when things started to seem "screwy"...i.e. "trying to figure out what the h3ll was going on...and to keep the bass trombone noise from overriding MY noise), and I've ALSO used the same WIRED device at "elephant rooms" (testing new models of tubas...where the tiny mic built-in to the tuner would have otherwise picked up all of the other "elephants"). WireLESS is MUCH better.
bloke

Solves a problem Re: Wick Wireless Pick-Up/Tuner

Postby tokuno » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:19 pm

http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=71759&hilit=wireless+wick"%20%20target="_blank

Bloke still had (has?) the Denis Wick wireless pickups in stock, and mine arrived last week.

I hadn't known whether this type of device existed, but after tussling with the wire (always tangled around everything) and the umpteenth time (slow learner) of forgetting to unclip the wired pickup before spinning my horn to empty it (tuner crash, battery scatter, and on two occasions the pickup snapped off my horn and burst apart upon hitting the floor), google brought me to bloke's write-up.

I used it at a performance this past weekend, and am delighted with my wireless freedom.
My son wanted a quick check, too, and it was great to just pass the clip down to him and spin the stand a few degrees so he could see.

Same as Paul's post, I put a preventive tape strip across the battery compartment to keep it shut under duress (same as on my other active gear like bike lights and range cups, but this cover, if unsecured, seems especially likely to pop when I eventually drop it), and slipped a couple spare cr2032s into my case.

The power-indicating LEDs are bright, and I might mask 'em with tape or nail polish.

The response time varies more with the tuner than the pickup (especially noticeable because I recently knelt on my go-to during a backstage flurry and I've been using a backup old Korg ca-30 - very slow response).

Assuming it holds up under normal use/care, I'll be very happy with the wireless; definitely a "would buy again".

Soap Box:
It was available for a few bucks less (plus free shipping) elsewhere, but:
a) I follow the policy of supporting the vendor who educates me (especially in those cases when they're covering the costs to stock a product that I can see/touch/try)
b) I appreciate Bloke (he probably loses more in time than he makes in nominal (if any) profit, but most retailers like to rotate stock - so it perhaps helps him that way).
If you're interested, I recommend that you contact Joe/Bloke and support his business.

Thank you to Joe and the other posters who shared their experiences with the wireless pickup.
tokuno
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:43 pm

If you have a Tractor Supply store anywhere near you, in their "import crap junk bins" (which they place directly in your walking path at the front of the store next to the cash registers) they usually offer a huge "card" (at least as large as a piece of typing paper) with a WHOLE BUNCH of wafer batteries vacuum-packed on it.

ALL of the "nickel-size" batteries on the "card" (which is only SOME of the batteries, but - still - quite a few of them) are the correct voltage for these Wick gadgets.
Here's the thing though: Some of them (simply) will poop out sooner, and some of them will last longer. (analogy: Think of "old-fashioned" vs. "alkaline or nickel cadmium")

I'm pretty sure that Tractor Supply sells that "card-o-batteries" for only about $5. With a glob of those nickel-sized wafer batteries mounted on that card, this is WAY CHEAPER than buying them at Walgreen's. ...and hey, a bunch of the other batteries will work in your crappy Harbor Freight digital calipers. :|
bloke

Postby bloke » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:47 pm

yeah...
I buy them directly from Wick...and I have seen prices a couple of bucks lower.
I dunno if Wick plays games with dealers' pricing, if some retailers are using them as a website draw (unlikely, it seems to me), or what.
Anyway...if you want one or more, I got 'em. :|
bloke

Postby nworbekim » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:22 am

do cellular signals cause interference with the wireless tuner/clip?
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
nworbekim
4 valves
4 valves

Location: I bought a farm in southern Kentucky near Lake Cumberland

Postby bloke » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:32 pm

nworbekim wrote:do cellular signals cause interference with the wireless tuner/clip?

' haven't heard of such...??
I've messed with mine at home around three phones, and on the stand at rehearsals around 70 or (incl. staff, muckety-mucks, etc.) 80 people with consistent good performance.
bloke

Postby bloke » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:39 pm

Here's one of those cards of wafer batteries from Tractor Supply.
The price printed on the card is $5.99, but I'm pretty sure that ours always charges a buck less for these cards.
With the batteries being this cheap, the "battery issue" (at least, to me) becomes somewhat moot.

bloke

Postby nworbekim » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:02 am

bloke wrote:
nworbekim wrote:do cellular signals cause interference with the wireless tuner/clip?

' haven't heard of such...??
I've messed with mine at home around three phones, and on the stand at rehearsals around 70 or (incl. staff, muckety-mucks, etc.) 80 people with consistent good performance.

i bought a Korg Wi-tune WR-01 a couple of years ago with the clip for brass and sax. at first, it was wonderful, it worked perfectly on both brass and saxes... but it suddenly stopped. i went through a bunch of batteries thinking that was the problem, but it wasn't. then one night i left my phone in the car and it worked! i began experimenting with that and i really don't have any scientific proof, my evidence is strictly trial and error but the cellular signals seem to scramble it and cause the clip/tuner to lose connection. if i turned my phone off, i was ok UNLESS there were others around me with phones on.

i've read reviews from others that complain about the korg stopping after a few months, but noone else has connected it to the phone, so i may be lost at sea on that one... maybe not. it may not be the exact frequencies, it may just be that the phones being so close over power the receiver of the tuner, kind of like the way the old CB's used to kill the television signals before cable tv and it cannot hear the clip.

when they first appeared on the market, they were over $100 but i saw them closed out at about $20. i figured that was the reason.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
nworbekim
4 valves
4 valves

Postby tokuno » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:16 am

I overlapped my iPhone and the tuner/wireless module on my music stand with a Youtube video streaming under these two conditions:
a) cellular service disabled (signal via wireless home net 2.4GHz)
b) wireless disabled (signal via Verizon mobile)
No discernible difference in tuner performance; wireless device worked fine.

I didn't think to initiate a phone call instead of just data streaming, but I'll try that, too.
tokuno
3 valves
3 valves

Postby nworbekim » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:50 am

sounds good to me... where can i get one?
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
nworbekim
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:09 pm

nworbekim wrote:sounds good to me... where can i get one?

Wick Wireless Pick-Up and Tuner being offered by Bloke
bloke

Postby Three Valves » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:12 pm

bloke wrote:

Can I buy it on line from your web-site. :roll:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:34 pm

Three Valves wrote:
bloke wrote:

Can I buy it on line from your web-site. :roll:

You gripe about that, ~yet~ you're communicating with me - nearly - in real time, and cannot seem to figure out a way (~if~ it is that you actually would like to buy one...??) a way to ask me to send one to you.

You could pay me now or later...It's not as if I wouldn't trust anyone here for the money...and - ~were~ it that someone ~actually~ needed to defraud me out of something this inexpensive - they need it more than I do anyway. :lol:

:arrow: My credit card processing company can also email you a secure link to pay (you know..."online" and stuff).

bloke " ' tell you guys wut: I'll bring 'em to Ft. Myer, sell 'em without having to charge any postage, and/or give one away with each complete Sellmansberger mouthpiece purchase." :shock: 8)
bloke

Postby Three Valves » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:47 pm

HA!!

I just said that for the benefit of those who are unfamiliar with your business model. :tuba:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:10 pm

Three Valves wrote:HA!!

I just said that for the benefit of those who are unfamiliar with your business model. :tuba:

HEY ! :wink:
bloke

Postby tokuno » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:59 am

Update: As expected, active phone call (phone adjacent to the tuner) had no evident effect on the wireless pickup's performance.

tokuno wrote:

I overlapped my iPhone and the tuner/wireless module on my music stand with a Youtube video streaming under these two conditions:
a) cellular service disabled (signal via wireless home net 2.4GHz)
b) wireless disabled (signal via Verizon mobile)
No discernible difference in tuner performance; wireless device worked fine.

I didn't think to initiate a phone call instead of just data streaming, but I'll try that, too.
tokuno
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Voisi1ev » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:41 pm

Would this work with a phone or tablet, assuming you need a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inc adapter.
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Next

Return to TubeNet