Schiller Frankfurt Elite 6 valve F

The bulk of the musical talk
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Schiller Frankfurt Elite 6 valve F

Post by eupho »

Has anyone played or purchased one of these tubas?
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Schiller Frankfurt Elite 6 valve F

Post by Ken Crawford »

An old unanswered thread, but others may wonder.

Driving home from the International Double Reed Society conference last week took my wife (bassoonist) and I through Stevens Point Wisconsin. I've known about Jim Laabs for awhile so I took the opportunity to drop in. It is a huge store, filled with every imaginable musical instrument, and some I hadn't ever imagined.

I asked to try the Schiller Frankfurt Elite 6 valve F tuba (PT16 clone) and the guy helping us disappeared into the basement for ten minutes or so and finally returned with the tuba in question. This example appears to have never been out of the case as it was still in its plastic wrap inside the case, and when revealed didn't have a smudge on it. I fired up my tuner and plugged in my Laskey 30F. My professional bassoonist wife commented that the instrument sounded "agile" which is a good thing for an F to be I suppose. I did find it easy playing, great intonation throughout the range and as even a response I've felt from any F tuba I've played, Including genuine PTs. It produced a nice big warm sound in every register and had no notes that seemed squirrely or otherwise awkward. The low C B and Bb were on par with other rotary Fs. One big plus for this Chinese PT16 clone was the use of genuine Minibal brand valve linkages. The linkages were silent and the valves felt smooth. The only negatives I can list are the "Schiller" name, which is a horrible name IMO, and one lacquer run that I noticed. I was assured that Jim Laabs provides a hassle free warranty process despite their less touted customer service credentials.

If you have a budget of $3500 and want a pretty darn good 6 valve F tuba, this could be the horn that makes all your dreams come true.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

How do you feel about it vs Berg?
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

MikeMason wrote:How do you feel about it vs Berg?
It is a larger instrument, and the valve linkages are nicer. It doesn't play any "better" or worse than the Berg I don't think, it is different, mostly due to size I'd say. If you put a gun to my head I'd probably choose the Schiller, for the linkages and my sound preference.