A Portrait of George (Gershwin)

The bulk of the musical talk
jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

A Portrait of George (Gershwin)

Post by jeopardymaster »

I'll be playing this Frank Proto piece real soon, and just got the part. Fairly straightforward except that there is a spot marked "Solo" in it that covers close to 3 octaves. I can't tell how fast, how exposed, or whether it is even a solo per se. I'm working it up - not too horribly bad except for this high a flat that I have to sit on, but for how long I can't tell. It's a note I can hit most of the time but can't do a whole lot with. The suspense is getting the better of me. Any experience on this piece out there? Have any of you folks played it?
Gnagey CC, VMI Neptune 4098 CC, Mirafone 184-5U CC and 56 Bb, Besson 983 EEb and euphonium, King marching baritone, Alexander 163 BBb, Conn 71H/112H bass trombone, Olds Recording tenor trombone.
jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

Re: A Portrait of George (Gershwin)

Post by jeopardymaster »

I played it. It's a solo, and meaner than cat dirt. At tempo (half note = 152) it is pretty ridiculous. Thank God Frank Proto played the concert - he told me he wrote the part for Mike for a recording session because Mike was uncomfortable improvising. (Someone else said Mike asked for something difficult, but that it took a LOT of takes.) I suck but there were only 2 chords so I went for it, going back and forth between what was written and stuff that wasn't. They let me do it in the concert, so I guess it didn't suck TOO bad. Word to the wise: if you ever see the part in front of you, Frank says it's OK to play something else. Great piece of music, by the way.
Gnagey CC, VMI Neptune 4098 CC, Mirafone 184-5U CC and 56 Bb, Besson 983 EEb and euphonium, King marching baritone, Alexander 163 BBb, Conn 71H/112H bass trombone, Olds Recording tenor trombone.