More About the Tiger

The bulk of the musical talk
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

More About the Tiger

Post by Art Hovey »

Folks, I have learned a few more things about my rotary Tiger tuba and have added to what I posted a while back:

http://galvanizedjazz.com/tuba/Tiger/Tiger.html

I still like it.

-Art-
tubasaz
bugler
bugler

Re: More About the Tiger

Post by tubasaz »

Really fine description of tuning/fixing a plastic tuba. Those valve linking mechanisms are one of the concerns that I am worried when talking about plastic tubas. I would be more interested a (plastic) tuba with front piston valves. The weight is that what interests me most. Is there any metal inside of (unmodified) lead pipe ?
Monzani BBb--Conn 20K--Benge 290--Soprano Sax
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

I have the same problem with my tiger. If I don't flip the valves on a daily basis they will stick. If you own one and need small parts here is the email of the factory. office@rheinsoundmusic.com" target="_blank. I have a box of extra finger paddles and rotor stops sent from factory because they tend to break easily. They are pretty good at trying to take care of customers.
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tylerferris1213 »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about you Tiger tuba repairs/modifications. Great job!
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Contrabass FF
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

There is no metal inside the plastic leadpipe.
There is a piston model with 4 valves. It appears to be an Allora clone. Rather small bore. It might be appropriate for a middle-school kid or perhaps as a travel tuba.
I would love to try one (or at least read someone's comments) but if I tried to purchase one right now that would create a major disturbance in the Force.
tubasaz
bugler
bugler

Post by tubasaz »

Just for looking I attaches here valves of my "mini-tuba" - plastic Tromba trumpet actually (also know by name Allora).
tromba_trpt.jpg
3valves.jpg
valvestromba.jpg
The valves seem to function nicely and they also seem not to stuck even after leaved the horn unplayed for many days (it is very new so a long-time experience is not yet available).

I would like to seem possibly a little same kind scaled to suit a tuba. Also inside the plastic looking leadpipe is actually a metal (pipe) where mouthpiece fits perfectly.

:idea: I couldn´t find a 4-valve plastic piston tuba mentioned - who might be the manufacturer / re-seller ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Monzani BBb--Conn 20K--Benge 290--Soprano Sax
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

It's a Tiger. Two of them were on Ebay recently. Try the Rheinsound website.
Woods
bugler
bugler

Post by Woods »

I want one soo bad. :tuba:
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72503" target="_blank" target="_blank Here's your chance.
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I especially love the picture of the imaginary hand with alien index finger. An excellent depiction of why I do not even try to play front action piston tubas.