Do you warm down?

The bulk of the musical talk
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Do you warm down?

Post by Peach »

Do you make a point of always warming down after playing, or only after a heavy session, or just never?
If you do, what do you do?

I find it matters more as I get a bit older and, in reality, practice less.
So I like to leave the chops in a really relaxed state after playing particularly a big session (usually 2.25hrs of brass band). I do that just by playing chromatic arpeggios down as low as possible into the pedal register.

Interested what others do...
Peach
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Do you warm down?

Post by arpthark »

I'm not sure I've ever understood the physiological basis of "warming down." Surely the best way to relax your chops is to just not play? If someone has any insight, please share.
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Post by marccromme »

Sure I warm down after a practice session - I go and kiss my wife. Very relaxing!
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs
southtubist
bugler
bugler

Post by southtubist »

I like to blast some pedals out as loud as possible. Preferably pedal C or lower. It's great, except for right after a concert or rehearsal. The conductor won't like it much. . .
MW 45k
Alexander 163CC 5v
Conn 72h, 1G
King 2280
Used to own: MW20 BBb(super old model) 1915 Conn Grand Orchestral BBb, small valve MW 2145
Used to borrow: Miraphone 190 CC, from IAA
southtubist
bugler
bugler

Post by southtubist »

bloke wrote:Doesn't this mess up your $/ ratio...??
Maybe. . . Fortunately I don't have any need to play for money any more.
MW 45k
Alexander 163CC 5v
Conn 72h, 1G
King 2280
Used to own: MW20 BBb(super old model) 1915 Conn Grand Orchestral BBb, small valve MW 2145
Used to borrow: Miraphone 190 CC, from IAA
Mark

Post by Mark »

tuben wrote:My warm down involves draining the tuba of water and then putting the tuba away.
My warm down consists of putting my tuba in it's case before any of the other "caring musicians" bash it while trying to get out of the rehearsal hall before everyone else.
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Peach »

bloke wrote:Doesn't this mess up your $/ ratio...??
Joe, when you get paid as much as me* it makes little difference.

*Readers can decide themselves whether I get paid almost nothing, absolutely nothing, OR a huge fee.
Peach
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

tuben wrote:
Peach wrote:Do you make a point of always warming down after playing, or only after a heavy session, or just never?
My warm down involves draining the tuba of water and then putting the tuba away.
+1. Don't warm UP either. I never could figure the benefit of wearing out my chops before the gig.

Play for a few hours every day. Just pick the darned thing up and blow!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
cambrook
pro musician
pro musician

Post by cambrook »

"I just stay hot!" - Dale Clevenger
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Generally my only warm down is emptying water out of tuba before putting back in case and heading home
cambrook
pro musician
pro musician

Post by cambrook »

After a big concert I find it very helpful to look after my embouchure,
by the application of cold beer to the top lip...
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

bloke wrote:Simply, he was having to play that solo with too much "I'm late trying to get to my rehearsal" adrenaline running through his veins...
So not to put too fine a point on it, but it sounds like a need not so much for the warm-up we would normally expect for that term, with some tuba playing exercise (in fact I think you implied he had been playing.) Rather it's a broader question of getting ready, mentally and physically, which is always something to take seriously when you have something challenging ahead.

And I wonder, if maybe a mental warm-down could have some benefits? I don't mean playing, or any conscious attention, just a few seconds of relatively idle time, giving your mind's background processing some time to finish up with the music stuff before you move on.

[ and in case anyone is wondering, I don't know about bloke, but sure, I live a perfect life with no challenges. ]
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Donn wrote:

[ and in case anyone is wondering, I don't know about bloke, but sure, I live a perfect life with no challenges. ]
I won't go that far but my life has far less DRAMA in it now than it did 25 years ago!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

cambrook wrote:After a big concert I find it very helpful to look after my embouchure,
by the application of cold beer to the top lip...
Exactly :)
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

ValveSlide wrote:

Well, yet more indication that "Donn" and "bloke," in fact, are the same person. Two sides of the same coin, if you will.

:lol:
I've never seen them shower together so they MUST be the same person. :shock:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Post by k001k47 »

I don't play anymore. But when I did, I always warmed down, or cooled off, after I played with copious amounts of adult beverages
mceuph
bugler
bugler

Post by mceuph »

"Don't warm UP either"

-Example #1 why I tell all of my students to never, ever go to Tubenet for serious playing advice.

"President Usama"

-Example #2 why I tell all of my students to never, ever go to Tubenet for serious playing advice.

"Whatever bs self-righteous responses this post elicits, which I will not be reading"

Example #3 why I tell all of my students to never, ever go to Tubenet for serious playing advice.

Sorry, I know a lot of you personally and many of you are great people and some close friends, but after reading these types of comments (many of them written and accepted as Gospel) over the years think it's best if I'm done here permanently. I'm sure that many of you will agree that I should be after this. Best of luck to all in your musical endeavors.
Martin Cochran
Columbus State University
University of Alabama-Birmingham
Adams Euphonium Artist
mceuph75@gmail.com" target="_blank
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

mceuph wrote:

-Example #1 why I tell all of my students to never, ever go to Tubenet for serious playing advice.
I get it, you tell them to come here for the robust and diverse conversation!!

:tuba:
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

bloke wrote: (I also can't help but wonder if - particularly at a small venue or church - if "brass players fiddling around and making non-performance noises on their instruments on stage" is somewhat annoying...EVEN - or particularly - IF the patrons or congregants are involved in conversation, as - let's face it, we who perform are in "show business". Think of this: Actors don't wander around onstage gesturing and shouting their lines prior to the performance of a play.)
Right on.

Once the house was open, Sousa would not allow a single note to be played by any of his musicians. He wanted the first sounds to be heard by his audience to be the first note of the first piece on the program. I suspect there was some showmanship involved with this policy, but the side benefit was courtesy to the audience.

I don't think his musicians suffered very much from this policy. Either get there early to warm up, or do it at home before you leave for the gig (as I usually do).
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

mceuph wrote:but after reading these types of comments (many of them written and accepted as Gospel) over the years
It's kind of a conundrum, though, isn't it? What to do with people who will accept stuff as Gospel? They sure shouldn't be reading Tubenet, but ... where can they find absolute truth that they can receive, safely despite this mental infirmity?