Survey: Best TUBAmobile

The bulk of the musical talk

What kind of vehicle do you use for tuba transport?

Sedan
32%
SUV
42%
Mini Van
12%
Truck
14%

Total votes: 107

Davy
bugler
bugler

Re: Survey: Best TUBAmobile

Post by Davy »

Pontiac Vibe, partly because it's my only option, but I did choose it for space (and MPG) purposes. I've fit 2 4/4 size CC tubas and a Bass trombone, and 3 music stands, with 2 passengers & myself (also a fan and user of the manual transmission).
Gnagey-Phone CC
Edwards B-454 Bass Trombone
Shires Q-30 Tenor trombone
King 3B Trombone
Fender P Bass
Ibanez SRH-505 Bass

Army Musician

"Don't play what's there; play what's not there".
-Miles Davis
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

my B&H Eb fits neatly in the front passenger seat of my Miata!!!!

so does my Dr. Seussaphone, but my helicon I have to put the top down....

kk
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Tubajug wrote:
We have looked a Ford Flex, but I guess they don't come in an eight seat configuration. We're planning for down the road when we have all of our kids in the car. Options are limited for 8-seat vehicles it seems.

On topic though, my King 2341/Holton frankentuba fits in the trunk of my Ford Taurus (in gig bag), but I usually drive with it in the backseat, but can put it in the trunk if I need to lock it up.
The Flex has a third-row seat and will carry as many people as any minivan. Whether it will carry 8 depends on the sizes of the passengers. The third-row seat is intended for two adults, but I have certainly carried 8 adults in my Flex.

Rick "thinking you need a full-size van" Denney
Rev Rob
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Rev Rob »

An Accord Coupe 2012 - 5 speed manual transmission - works for me. I can put my King 1241, intact in the trunk, along with a big canvas bag which contains music, portable Manhasset music stand, and tuba accoutrements. I do have a case (body and bell) for the King, I have yet to find out how it would fit in my trunk. I can take another person if they play something smaller than a trombone or are a vocalist.
Beginning again to be a tuba player.
1291 King Double B flat with detachable bell.
"The hills are alive, with the sound of (tuba) music."
alfredr
3 valves
3 valves

Post by alfredr »

Wandering around the subject of what fits into what, but with an eventual goal of getting to tubas.

Years ago before kids were as grown up, our daughter had a Nissan Altima. For her and three of her closest friends.

Our son ended up with the Buick LeSabre. For him and three of his closest tubas.

Our Dodge MaxiVan once carried 8 adults and 14 children, no tubas. Third world, not enough seatbelts, obviously. (This was before we started into the tuba world.)

Dodge 1500 Ram van would take the family to TubaChristmas. Two euphoniums, one tuba, three players, two observers. Sometimes more. I wanted to have enough to be able to pull off at exits and commit random acts of TubaChristmas but never had three other players who would be able to cover me (I would be the weak link in there) and wanted to do it.

We don't still have any of those vehicles, except the son still has the Buick.

The euph player son is marrying into a family of (former) tuba players and they apparently have never played a TubaChristmas.

A tubamobile may be in our future again.
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Post by oedipoes »

My Rudy 4/4 BBb in its gig bag fits in the trunk of my Honda Jazz.
My Conn 36K sousa as well (no gig bag).

Don't need anything bigger!
Rivercity Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Rivercity Tuba »

Corvette C-6 ZO6. Carries two tubas and zero to sixty in 3.8 seconds. 30 mpg at 70 miles per hour.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I've owned a Kia 'Rondo' and a Chevy 'Blazer' since 2007. Both are large to serve all of my tuba and sousaphone needs.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Dan Schultz wrote:I've owned a Kia 'Rondo' and a Chevy 'Blazer' since 2007. Both are large to serve all of my tuba and sousaphone needs.
+1 on the Kia Rondo. Damn you Kia for not giving the USA the new model.

My last 2 cars were a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT and a 2016 Kia Soul. Both can easily carry multiple instruments with the rear seats folded down. The Soul is much more forgiving for tuba sized drivers. :wink:
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Three Valves wrote:I realize wagons are nearly extinct but my 2002 VW Passat is still kicking and haulin' ***!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
tubapix
bugler
bugler

Post by tubapix »

2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD - hauls every horn I own plus a 20' equipment trailer, plus room in the bed for toolbox and whatever else might fit there plus... :). Bed is not secure but everything else is and I get very little argument on the road ;)
1989 Yamaha YBB 641 (4R)
1938 King 1236 Symphony Eb (4P) w/Monster Bell
1927 Buescher Eb Tuba
1940 Pan American 58C Eb Alto Horn
Rev Rob
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Rev Rob »

The two words which will never be used by a tuba player regarding the car they drive: I will be bringing my tuba to band practice in my Porsche.
Beginning again to be a tuba player.
1291 King Double B flat with detachable bell.
"The hills are alive, with the sound of (tuba) music."
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

Maybe so BUT, the horn player in the quintet back in Chicago would sometimes drive his. I always got shotgun with the tuba between my legs.
Free to tuba: good home
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

Community bands in western Tennessee are much cooler than they are in north Alabama. If I get there with a tuba, a mouthpiece, a pencil, and a music folder, I'm doing better than some. (Better than I do myself, some weeks.) Remembering to get the lumbar support cushion off my driver's side car seat to sit on so my fat butt doesn't hurt quite as much after an hour on the edge of a folding metal chair is a bonus.
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

Thread necro (seems to be alright to do here?)

Thought I'd add I made a car sales person's career today (she is retiring Monday) by lugging my horn in its case around the lot to makes sure it fit into the truck I want to acquire. As a heads up, a Conn 52J in its regular case doesn't fit through the back door of an extended cab 2017 Silverado, go for the crew cab!
paulver

Post by paulver »

2012 Toyota Tundra, quad cab with eight foot bed. Plenty of room inside or out!!!!!!
David A. Goldfarb
bugler
bugler

Post by David A. Goldfarb »

No problem getting the Martin Mammoth in 2 hard cases, non-folding convertible hand truck/cart, Reunion Blues double bass/tenor trombone case, and bag with stands and accessories in my 2012 Nissan Versa hatchback with the back seats down. I also have the fitted trunk organizer that stays in the car all the time and makes for one continuous flat surface with the back seats.
twitter: @GoldfarbTbone
1958 BBb Martin "Mammoth"
& a handful of 'bones
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Post by Gus_Pratt »

SousaWarrior9 wrote:
MartyNeilan wrote:How come station wagon is not on the list? Similar handling, performance, and economy to a comparable sedan with only a minor penalty in each, but double the space.
Agreed. My 1991 Chevy Caprice Wagon can hold three fully assembled sousaphones in the back with space to spare. Although it doesn't fare well in the gas mileage department.
I am also agreed. I own a 2010 Cadillac CTS wagon. I bought it to haul my circa 1815 pedal harp in. I have recently got back into buying tubas and was easily able to fit two 1240 King Tubas with their cases in the back of it. Plus it is a gorgeous wagon.
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

It seems to me that anything with a hatchback is the way to go. I currently own a 2006 Accord Coupe that I bought new. It is a pain getting tuba and sousaphone stuff in and out of the trunk. I didn't think of that when I bought it. My son's 56J won't even fit in my trunk. The 20 in. bell won't clear the opening. I'm thinking that within the next year or so, I might opt for the new version of the Civic hatchback.
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

Looking back at the OP, I've come to realize how convenient it is to have seats that fold into the floor as on the Caravan. In the past few years they have been down continually. It also saves storage place in the garage when they just fold into the floor of the van.
Also, the low lip on the floor inside the rear hatch is also a perk, in that things slide in and out pretty easily.

I remember, my car just before the minivan was a Sebring convertible. A fun mid-life crisis car, but I would need to lower the roof to get the tuba in the back seat. Forget about the trunk, it was too small.

Life is good with the mini-van.

Also since I park in a secure garage, and rarely visit urban neighborhoods where one would park on the street, the van is where I store my tubas/cases. Only the horns come into the house when I need them. The cases stay in the van, and they do have wheels to get in and out of the gig. So, I've not used a gig back lately. Tubas then tend to stay dent free.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)