Survey: Best TUBAmobile

The bulk of the musical talk

What kind of vehicle do you use for tuba transport?

Sedan
32%
SUV
42%
Mini Van
12%
Truck
14%

Total votes: 107

Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Survey: Best TUBAmobile

Post by Z-Tuba Dude »

Hey Guys & Gals,

What make/model of vehicle do you tuba guys/gals drive? What tuba transportation thought process (if any) led you to select that vehicle?

I am contemplating the purchase of a new vehicle, but am dismayed by the incredible shrinking trunk space in newer vehicles! :shock:
I currently drive an old 2005 Toyota Camry, which has great trunk space (although, even in that trunk, I can't fit my 20" bell tuba). I like having the ability to lock the horn in the trunk.

On the issue of security...does anyone know what kind of vehicles people were using, in the cases when horns have been stolen?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Survey: Best TUBAmobile

Post by Three Valves »

I realize wagons are nearly extinct but my 2002 VW Passat is still kicking and haulin' ***!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I used to have a GMC Yukon XL Denali. It would hold two tubas and two euphoniums, all in cases, and the four players to use them. It was a big vehicle and due to government-enforced shrinking of parking spaces became a real problem to park.

I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee and I can haul two tubas in cases and two players.
pittbassdaddy
bugler
bugler

Post by pittbassdaddy »

Cadillac Fleetwood 8)
The trunk fits a 5/4 in a hard case, music stand, lawn chairs for outdoor concerts, stroller for the baby, full size spare tire and a toolbox. Can also comfortably haul my family of 5.
Ulli
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ulli »

My tuba and me poise in a Citroen C5 with hydropneumatic suspension along the road. :D
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

+1 Fleetwood. "And the bass is bumpin from the back of my Fleetwood!"

My mom still drives the Mazda 6 wagon she chose specifically because it fit two tubas in the trunk. She was going to get something else, and the lid didn't quite close. No sale!
sousaphone68
4 valves
4 valves

Post by sousaphone68 »

When I don't have to leave my tuba in the car I use a Volvo V70.
For days when I have to leave it unattended I use my Ford Transit Connect van it has no windows in the cargo area and a bench seat for 3 in the front.
Cant carry a tune but I can carry a tuba.
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

It's a good bet if you can get a big horn behind the seat and under a cover. Under a cover is a big deal in an urban environment. I like a smaller horn for just this reason.
MORE AIR
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Ford Flex for me, which would have to be classified as a station wagon.

I tend to catch bell edges on door jambs with sedans. Plus, it's nice to be able to transport more than just my wife when carrying the tuba.

Rick "20.5 mpg average for the last 153,000 miles" Denney
Jay Bertolet
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Jay Bertolet »

Ford Expedition. Have you seen how people drive down here?!?!?!?!?
My opinion for what it's worth...

Principal Tuba - Miami Symphony, Kravis Pops
Tuba/Euphonium Instructor - Florida International University,
Broward College, Miami Summer Music Festival
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

bloke wrote:Most any tuba in a bag will fit in most any car.

I vote "best gas mileage" and "manual shift" ...
+1

A coupe is not on the list. My Honda Civic LX Coupe will hold a 19" bell in a bag in the trunk and has done so today, to say nothing of the back seat which has been known to hold a 6/4 Conn with a 22" bell.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

How come station wagon is not on the list? Similar handling, performance, and economy to a comparable sedan with only a minor penalty in each, but double the space.
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

MartyNeilan wrote:How come station wagon is not on the list? Similar handling, performance, and economy to a comparable sedan with only a minor penalty in each, but double the space.
Agreed. My 1991 Chevy Caprice Wagon can hold three fully assembled sousaphones in the back with space to spare. Although it doesn't fare well in the gas mileage department.
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Post by David Richoux »

I have transported myself and my tuba/Sousaphone/helicon/whatever in a wide variety of cars and small trucks - I even "test fit" my usual gig horns in the trunk or back area of any car that I buy. Right now I am using a Fiat 500L and it does pretty well, my previous Honda Fit had a huge cargo area with the rear seat folded down.
With the rise of car break-ins in my area, I am thinking a sedan with a large trunk may be the way to go when I choose my next vehicle. Station Wagons and Minivans have the problem of not being able to totally hide the instrument from view...

heh - just saw a Honda Fit ad with a guy taking a Double Bass (in a case) out of one!
Last edited by David Richoux on Mon May 23, 2016 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dubby
bugler
bugler

Post by Dubby »

I can fit two tubas - my Frankenhorn and a Yamaha 641 - two bass bones, and a euph with two people in my 2011 Kia Soul. Both bones are in hard cases, euph is in a hard case, and tubas are in gig bags. Plenty of room.
binlove
bugler
bugler

Post by binlove »

My 2016 Honda Accord can fit two tubas in the trunk (I do this with an Alex 163 and Miraphone Firebird), leaving room for up to five people or 3 additional horns in the cabin (if you sit them up like people). I suppose something like this might be true of many full-size sedans, but I was pretty surprised!
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

Dodge Grand Caravan. Holds my whole raft (CC BAT, F, Cimbasso, Bass Bone, euph and tuba mutes) if it needs to, plus stands and a hand cart for dragging the BAT. On long trips, if I need to take a cat nap or short overnight, it is also my little hotel. (foam mattress, sleeping bag and pillow) Very practical. Good mileage (around 30 mph) Plenty of room for other junk like the library box, suitcase and travel stuff.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Something to think about besides will your horn/case fit in the car - can you limit its movement due to sudden impact.
Last edited by tofu on Wed May 25, 2016 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

I drive a Toyota Venza, which is basically a tall Camry station wagon with about 6" of extra interior width. I can get my Conn Monster Eb, a big 2X10 bass combo amp, 2 basses, accessory case, a folding hand truck, a trombone, stands for the basses & trombone, and music stands with a little room left over and without having to stack anything. I still have room for a euphonium or another trombone. I could easily carry 4 tubas plus my tiny Fillmore Eb if I had that many.

It's not a huge vehicle, but it's really roomy for the size. It's a shame they were discontinued after 2015.
Last edited by GC on Sat May 28, 2016 3:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Rick Denney wrote:Ford Flex for me, which would have to be classified as a station wagon.
That is one nifty set of wheels!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.