Any Sousa Band Historians out there?

The bulk of the musical talk
Mike Finn
3 valves
3 valves

Any Sousa Band Historians out there?

Post by Mike Finn »

Just thought I’d share this, I thought it was kind of neat. I met a gentleman whose father, George Hookham, was in Sousa’s band in the early 1920’s. I asked him if he still had the tuba, but of course that’s long gone. He does still have his father’s old mouthpiece, and some really big photos. (I might be able to get a scan of them, if they are of any interest.) The mouthpiece is an H. N. White Co. 26. (Yup, a pre-King 26.) He actually let me borrow it, and I had a good time tooting out some classic Sousa bass lines on it. Of course the first thing I played was Six Bits, but I also hacked my way through the Stars and Stripes piccolo solo, among others.
Anyways, I was pretty excited to meet and talk to this guy, and he was pretty suprised to meet someone who was interested in tuba mouthpieces! :D

MF
KarlMarx
bugler
bugler

Re: Any Sousa Band Historians out there?

Post by KarlMarx »

Mike Finn wrote: He does still have his father’s old mouthpiece, and some really big photos. (I might be able to get a scan of them, if they are of any interest.)
These scans won't be of ANY interest, they will be of MAJOR interest!

High resolution please!

Carolus Marximus Geschichtophilicus
Tom Holtz
Push Button Make Sound
Push Button Make Sound

Post by Tom Holtz »

If you get scans of Sousa Band pictures from back then, could you see to it that the Marine Band library gets a copy? Our chief librarian, MGySgt Mike Ressler, is the man to talk to about Sousa history.

Drop a line to USMBLIB@mbw.usmc.mil if you have scans you're willing to send. I don't think this address will accept attachments, but one of the librarians will get right back to you about it.

Many thanks.

BVD Press
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by BVD Press »

During Grad. School, I worked with Sousa historian Paul Bielrey for a few years. I was fortunate enough to take a trip out to the University of Illinois to visit the SABRE library (http://lrs.ed.uiuc.edu/students/r-rosas/souscoll.htm). What an amazing source for band music. Not sure if it is a standard policy, or something Paul had worked out, but we had the freedom to handle any and all of the Sousa manuscripts in the library! Tons of Sousa autographs on the manuscripts. Unfortunately many were trimmed off when the library was looking for a way to store the music.

If you can post the pictures, that would be great.

Not sure when it will be available, but there will be a new book about the Sousa Band coming out shortly (not sure what shortly means exactly). This will be from Paul Bierley as well. My wife worked on the section that lists Sousa programs from his various tours. When it comes out, I will put a post up.

The US COast Guard Band will be doing a Sousa re-enactment conecrt in the next few months, Not sure when?
Mike Finn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Mike Finn »

I'll see him again on Monday, and will ask him if I can either borrow the pictures, or if he would get them scanned in for me. I haven't seen them myself yet, but I think there's at least a photo of his father with John Kuhn, and a program from one of their concerts somewhere, if I understood him correctly. I will be happy to pass these on to anyone who is interested.
Just a little info about George Hookham that I got from our conversation: He was born in 1887, at age 15 he joined the British Army and served in India, not sure when he came to America but he played in Sousa's band ca. 1919-1922. He also played bass, and gigged in clubs in and around the Chicago area.
I'll let you know as soon as I get some pics, or more info.
Mike