Stolen Miraphone 188

The bulk of the musical talk
ssilvamusic
lurker
lurker

Stolen Miraphone 188

Post by ssilvamusic »

I posted awhile back but nothing has turned up so I wanted to check again...my Miraphone 188 CC tuba was stolen out of my car in Riverside,CA back in January. If you have purchased or you know someone who has purchased a Miraphone 188 CC tuba sometime since January 2016 can you please check the serial #? The serial # on my horn is 9036854. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Stolen Miraphone 188

Post by bort »

I really hope you get it back... And really hope you had it insured!
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

I hope you recover the horn best of luck in getting it back.
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

bloke wrote:If someone unwittingly bought this from the thief, "needs" it, and doesn't feel as though they can "afford" to hand it back to its owner, realize that the owner "needs" it as well.

OK...a compromise consideration:
- Save up $1200 as quickly as you POSSIBLY can.
- Buy a used jimbophone CC.
- Give the 188 back to it's rightful owner.
Not to mention it's a criminal offence. Though each state has its own laws and terminology, all states, and the federal government, criminalize the receipt of stolen property. It's also IMHO morally bankrupt. And don't think you are smart enough to get away with it. It's amazing how many times people get tripped up years later by some little goofy thing. These things have serial #'s, the tuba community is small and folks will recognize a 188. Take it in for even a small repair and a reputable shop may spot it. Play it in a concert etc. and it may be spotted. It's one thing to innocently buy a stolen item and it's a whole nuther thing to hang on to it after you've bought it and discovered it's stolen or to buy it having an idea it might be hot.
ssilvamusic
lurker
lurker

Post by ssilvamusic »

bloke wrote:If someone unwittingly bought this from the thief, "needs" it, and doesn't feel as though they can "afford" to hand it back to its owner, realize that the owner "needs" it as well.

OK...a compromise consideration:
- Save up $1200 as quickly as you POSSIBLY can.
- Buy a used jimbophone CC.
- Give the 188 back to it's rightful owner.

This. Yes. It feels like a part of me is missing.
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

I hope you filed a police report because if a pawn shop bought the instrument, they are 100% responsible for returning the equipment. it also helps if the person who tries to insure the instrument cannot because that serial number is reported as stolen.

I'm sure you did.
--farah chisham
ssilvamusic
lurker
lurker

Post by ssilvamusic »

FarahShazam wrote:I hope you filed a police report because if a pawn shop bought the instrument, they are 100% responsible for returning the equipment. it also helps if the person who tries to insure the instrument cannot because that serial number is reported as stolen.

I'm sure you did.

Yes, police report is filed. I didn't know that about the insurance (I didn't have it insured) so that helps a lot!
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Post by BopEuph »

I'd love to piggyback off of this about my Willson 2900, serial W2177, stolen about five years ago. Still no sign of it.

Insurance has already paid out on it, but that horn was a special one. Still to this day, one of the best horns I've played, and agreed on by Robert Pendergast and Ryan Black. Brian Bowman even said he liked it better than his at the time.
Nick