MAW valves Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

MAW valves

Postby MikeMason » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:07 pm

I've been pondering the idea of maw valves for my wisemann. They don't really exist. I spoke to Martin Wilk this week at itec. I played the 2155 bloke had with maw and an older pt6p with maw at Martin's booth. Both great players with easy slurring,especially the pt6p which had the easiest ascending slurs I've experienced. I went and tried a stock pt6p which had all the usual "bumps" in the slurring. I decided to go ahead and measurements were made for a set of valves. I already like my wisemann and didn't find anything I would really trade it for(yamayork not withstanding,though it had bumps in its slurring too,and I believe it could benefit from a set of maws too). I'm hoping the maws will give me those slurs and the easier response they are known for. I'm sending the horn to him in July and will report back :D
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Wisemann 900c with original heavyweight bayamo
Yamaha yfb621 with original heavyweight manatuska
MikeMason
5 valves
5 valves

Re: MAW valves

Postby thevillagetuba » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:36 pm

I go to school with a guy that has put a set of MAW valves into his Wisemann (his casings were actually a close fit and just needed the valves to be lapped in which is not how I have heard the fit for anyother Wisemann but he was lucky) and they greatly improved how his horn played without a doubt. I have them in my PT6P and love them for all of the reasons that you mentioned plus they really opened up the horn across the entire range. Similar observations were made of the Wisemann with the MAW valves, so hopefully you will see the same! :tuba:
Robert S. Pratt, CPT
MM Tuba Perf. - Wright State University
BM Tuba Perf. - Towson University
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Postby MikeMason » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:43 pm

Martin tried them,but too much wiggle for mine.
Pensacola Symphony
MikeMason
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Peach » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:00 am

I thought an option was to send Martin W your valves and he will convert them. Is that the case?
I can see some folk would want to keep their original valves also...
Peach
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Postby MikeMason » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:21 am

He seemed to prefer the idea of making a new set. Possibly thinking of future sales to other wisemann owners? Fine by me either way. I would submit,though on limited evidence, that the change these valves make in a horn is that something special people are looking for when they upgrade to a premium or hand made model of a horn,without actually buying a new horn. We'll see...
Pensacola Symphony
MikeMason
5 valves
5 valves

Postby hubert » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:31 am

I have just installed oversized MAW valves in my Wisemann and am very satisfied.
The standard diameter of the MAW valves is 27 mm. The valves of my Wisemann 28,88mm. I ordered oversized MAW valves from Meinlschmidt in Germany, measuring 28,90 mm. I had to wait a few weeks longer than for standard valves, but last week they were sent to me. After a bit of handlapping the valves fit perfectly. Costs were about the same as for standard valves. Delivery was perfect, with nylon guides included.
Hubert (The Netherlands)
hubert
bugler
bugler

Postby Ken Crawford » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:53 am

Wow, your valves are huge. Mine measure 28.7274mm.
Last edited by Ken Crawford on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:34 am

Your Wisemann diameter measurements are likely accurate, but I've never seen any Wisemann pistons that are anywhere close to a mm larger in diameter than pistons which fit B&S/M-W tubas. I've only observed a few (less than .010"...single digits) thousandths of an inch difference...

...not that (per typical of my many of my posts :oops: ) this concerns me in the least.

For there to be even a full millimeter difference in diameter, there would have to be 1/25th of an inch of difference, and that's epic. The nearly two mm difference, mentioned above, is well over 1/16th of an inch ! :shock:

Though a bit leaky and a little bit loose, I've played Wisemann 900 tubas with MAW pistons temporarily set in them. They were slightly leaky, but playable. "Over 16th of an inch too loose" would not be playable at all.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Ken Crawford » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:59 am

28.702mm is the standard maw diameter.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:45 pm

...and B&S/M-W spare replacement pistons that I have in stock here measure precisely the same.
I'm just stating that Wisemann piston diameters are only .00X" larger than that… maybe even less than 5/1000" larger, and certainly not over 1/16" larger.
bloke

Postby hubert » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:45 pm

I am very sorry. Ken and Bloke are fully right about the standard diameter of B&S/MW valves. Even without drinking :twisted: I went totally wrong, when typing 27 mm!!
Very sorry again,
Hubert
hubert
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:14 pm

...the only real point (numbers aside) being that Wisemann and B&S/M-W pistons are NEARLY THE SAME diameter.

Anderson (were someone to buy some used MAW pistons in the USA) could easily build up ("plate" and "true") a standard MAW set with copper and nickel to fit Wisemann casings, and no, they have no problem plating over stainless steel.
bloke

Postby Peach » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:55 pm

For those in the know (or just those who like to guess!), are many Symphony pros getting into MAW valves or not so much? Just wondering!
Peach
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:58 pm

Peach wrote:For those in the know (or just those who like to guess!), are many Symphony pros getting into MAW valves or not so much? Just wondering!

They seem to help some tubas and others (perhaps...??) not so much. I'm pretty sure that Martin still has a test set to send out.
In the past, the test set was an early version - so "just as heavy as B&S pistons" (vs. the lightweight type that he now sells). They either help (or not) just as well, but (again) are heavier than those which (if someone chooses to buy) he will ship "new".

Ask HIM, though, to make sure that my post - here - isn't full of beans.
bloke

Postby Daniel C. Oberloh » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:20 pm

Bloke,

I have not had success rebuilding (plating and resizing) stainless pistons. Have you done this with success?

Dan'l
Daniel C. Oberloh
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:24 pm

yes...

My method is patented and guarded, but I can reveal part of it:

I place them in a box, and send them to Anderson.
bloke

Postby Frank Ortega » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:19 am

I'm surprised that these haven't caught on with the King 2341 or Conn 5XJ crowds. They vastly improve those models.
My BBb Martin Renowned is of similar size with the same .687 valve set plays almost as big as my Mammoth with the Maw valves.
Frank Ortega
Band Director
Saddle Brook MS/HS
The Bloomfield Civic Band
Music Director/Conductor
Bon Temps Brass
Frank Ortega
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Voisi1ev » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Frank Ortega wrote:I'm surprised that these haven't caught on with the King 2341 or Conn 5XJ crowds. They vastly improve those models.
My BBb Martin Renowned is of similar size with the same .687 valve set plays almost as big as my Mammoth with the Maw valves.

I've thought about it for my 52J. I like it, but not sure I love it enough to spend a couple Gs on it rather than save for a different horn that I might prefer over an improved version of my own.
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Postby Frank Ortega » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:02 pm

Have you been able to try a set? I know Martin had an Eastman with MAW valves to try out at last years' army conference.
It's similar, but I think it would be more dramatic on your 56J.
Frank Ortega
Band Director
Saddle Brook MS/HS
The Bloomfield Civic Band
Music Director/Conductor
Bon Temps Brass
Frank Ortega
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Sousaswag » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Are MAW valves significantly lighter than the MW/B&S big valves?
VMI 3302 BBb
Besson 'New Standard' 968 euphonium
Sousaswag
bugler
bugler

Next

Return to TubeNet