MAW valves

The bulk of the musical talk
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Re: MAW valves

Post by Sousaswag »

Are MAW valves significantly lighter than the MW/B&S big valves?
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Re: MAW valves

Post by imperialbari »

Sorry for diverting the OP’s purpose of this thread:

I am too old to make significant investments in modifications of my instruments, which however doesn’t keep me from thinking in desirable projects.

I could imagine the MAW principle being of benefit for the valves of compensating instruments after the Blaikley system. The many ports of the 3 first pistons loosing the narrow lip of metal between the pairs of ports belonging to each passage very well might further the lack of rigid straightness reportedly happening with somecurrent MAW valves.

I have only kept the visual imagination from when I was good at 3D math 50 years ago (which was before personal computers and CAM/CAD applications). I could imagine the cylindric tubing used to make the pistons being strengthened by an inner structure of more than one piece of stiff metal.

The cross section of that structure could look like a cross, a triangle, or a square, each inside the circle given by the tubing used for the piston.

This structure would have to be cut through where necessary to allow for the airpath passages. These cuts should be as precise as the cuts through the piston main tube. The walls of the airpath passages should be soldered to the inner structure to support the wanted rigidity.

This of course would raise production costs. Another drawback of my suggestion would be the added weight. The weight of the inner structure could e minimized by careful selection of metal for the structure. Thickness of the sheet metal also could be optimized. Holes could be cut in the sheet metal in patternes not compromizing the rigidity of the combined structure.

Costly & cumbersome for sure, but I assume that pistons staying absolutely straight will improve the longevity of themselves as well as of their respective casings. Even these improved pistons will wear, but if basically straight they will be more likely making a replating worthwhile.

And then the said inner structure might be made out of a carbon fibre material that by help of CAD software has been made as porous as possible without compromizing its rigidity.

Klaus