imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

A trigger kit

Post by imperialbari »

I don't know about Besson parts.

The trigger on my YEP641 is made by a German company:

https://shop.ekle.de/musiktreffpunkt/sh ... m=JWTRIG-S

I had it mounted by Lars Jonasson, the owner of I. K. Gottfried in Copenhagen.

The JW trigger works very well, but I have to out two reservations:

The paddle broke off its lever arm through the mounting process, because it had not been silver soldered by the provider. Lars Jonasson remedied that.

I didn't like the action of the spring provided. But then I don't like the spring action of most bass trombone triggers. I find them too spongy.

The remedy for euph as well as bassbones has been to use textile type elastic bands originally intended to keep divers underwear in place or to make blouse sleeves sit tight around wrists.

I mount these bands, so that they apply their forces almost in the directions of the ideal vectors for the circular movement of the lever arm. In mathematical sense one might say, that the rubber band always represents a chord of that circular movement.

A tangential power would be better, but then that is, what almost comes into action, when the trigger is close to its normal position. That gives a quick and precise return also from small trigger corrections. Something the original spring is not very good at.

Found a scan of an advertisement for the JW trigger kit on my hard-disk. It has just been uploaded to my galleries:

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/yo ... sement.jpg

Klaus
euphdude
bugler
bugler

Post by euphdude »

While at the TUSAB-TEC this past January, I played the new model Meinl 451T (the T is for trigger). It is the stock 451 with the trigger and it doesn't have the gold accents or different bell design that the 551 had. I liked it. David Fedderly told me that they could do the conversion (requires a different tuning slide as well) for around $300.