Beginner Euphonium Poll

The bulk of the musical talk

If you taught beginner euphonium, on what mouthpiece would you start your students?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:35 am

Total votes: 0

Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

I think the 6 1/2 is a good place to start. Once the beginner gets a feel for it... and you the teacher sees what he/she can do range wise... you can move up or down (most likely larger in size if the student is practicing)

Just my opinion. I started on 6 1/2 myself and now use a Doug Elliott set up.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
jameseuph642
bugler
bugler

Post by jameseuph642 »

I think the 6 1/2 AL or Yamaha 48 is great for a young student.
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

age and size are a factor

Post by ken k »

It all depends on the age of the player. Many elementary age kids will have better success with a smaller mouthpeice than a 6 1/2. King used to make a mouthpiece that they sold with their "baritones" back in the 60's and 70's I think it was a 13M. What a great mouhtpiece, small rim like a 12 or 7 but with a deeper more v shaped cup. Great mouthpiece to start kids on and it gave those old bell front baris and great sound. Another good one is a Bach 7, but you don't find them around too much. It has a deper cup than the 7C. HS beginners would be fine with a 6 1/2.
ken k
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

No age specified

Post by Matt G »

I have worked with a few kids at an early age. I recommend the 12C or equivalent. Mainly because it corresponds with a smaller embouchure better and has a tighter throat for backpressure which can help young'ns. Depending on their performance and progression, they may change after a short period of time or stay with the 12C for a while.
pg
bugler
bugler

Re: No age specified

Post by pg »

Matthew Gilchrest wrote:I have worked with a few kids at an early age. I recommend the 12C or equivalent. Mainly because it corresponds with a smaller embouchure better and has a tighter throat for backpressure which can help young'ns. Depending on their performance and progression, they may change after a short period of time or stay with the 12C for a while.
Agreed. I like the 12C for ease of tone production in young players. The 6.5 is a great middle school and early hs mp but not until they're big enough or are otherwise ready.

--paul;
The Impaler
3 valves
3 valves

Post by The Impaler »

If possible I would start all my beginners on a 5G. I feel that half the reason so many young players have small sounds and don't use a lot of air is that they don't have to to produce a buzz on the smaller mouthpieces like the 6 1/2AL. I mean, we all assume that you start small and gradually progress to larger mouthpieces as you can handle them. What if you started with a bigger mouthpiece and taught them to play (buzz) with a big sound using tons of air, and then gave them something smaller to play on that suited them better. I only ask this because when I started buzzing a tuba mouthpiece in the mornings (and later started playing tuba), my euhonium sound really opened up and became much, much easier to play.
Cale Self

Assistant Professor of Music
Acting Director of Bands & Instructor of Low Brass
University of West Georgia
Carrollton, GA
dave
bugler
bugler

Post by dave »

For a younger student, a Bach 7 is a good choice. 6 1/2 AL would be appropriate for 8th grade, but too large for younger students.
The Impaler
3 valves
3 valves

Post by The Impaler »

Awwwww, Smooches.......

You're making me blush!!!! :oops:

That's okay, I love you too sweetie..........

BTW, Sly is already planning on going out to reunion week at Share-a-man's place this summer, and if it's the first week (6-12 I think), I think I'm going to go as well..........any plans?????
Cale Self

Assistant Professor of Music
Acting Director of Bands & Instructor of Low Brass
University of West Georgia
Carrollton, GA