Greyhound lost my tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
tubamarc8891
bugler
bugler

Greyhound lost my tuba

Post by tubamarc8891 »

I feel that I should let you all know about this since a lot of folks on this board use Greyhound.

Last October I agreed to trade my St. Petersburg 209L 5v CC prototype for a sousaphone with a gentleman in Chicago and decided to ship it via Greyhound. After shipping I checked the tracking number but it didn't work. I didn't think much of it because I had heard from multiple people that their tracking is very mediocre. A few weeks later I received a message from the person I traded with saying that the tuba hadn't arrived yet. After a few calls to Greyhound I was told that the tuba was in St. Louis (a lie) and was going to be arriving in Chicago soon. After a couple days, still no tuba. Called again and was told the tuba was scanned at the Chicago warehouse and would be sent to the local station soon. So I called the Chicago warehouse to verify this and was told that they did not have a package and no such package was scanned. At this point I started getting nervous and tried to file a claim with Greyhound. I was told that the tuba wouldn't be considered lost until 40 days (if I remember correctly) after the ship date so I had to wait to file it. In the meantime, My dad volunteered to go down to the main Greyhound office here in Phoenix and talk to a manager. She basically told my Dad that the package was never scanned ANYWHERE and that any of the Greyhound employees who were telling me it was had lied to me. After the tuba was officially considered lost we filed a claim and Greyhound offered to compensate me...wait for it... $100. We contacted my cousin who is a lawyer but he said we couldn't do much because of the fine print in the shipping agreement. Luckily I had the instrument insured and was able to pay my trade partner for his instrument.

As you can imagine, I will never use Greyhound again nor would I recommend them to anyone.
U.S. Army Band “Pershing’s Own”
Wessex Chicago Presence CC
Eastman 866 F
Paul Evans
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Greyhound lost my tuba

Post by Paul Evans »

Never ship via Greyhound unless you are sure of your instrument insurance. Many years ago now Greyhound lost the 2165 that I was shipping cross country (Tacoma to Rochester). My home owners insurance musical instrument rider did NOT cover this loss. I still don't have a decent CC tuba. After much haggling (I was dealing directly with Greyhound's VP of Package Express) I was finally offered the most they EVER offer: $1000.00. Hard lesson learned. A lot of people ship tubas regularly via Greyhound. Just be sure that you are able to accept a complete loss, or that your instrument insurance covers shipping.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I will never ship with Greyhound unless there is some sort of insurance in place that gives full replacement value in the event of loss (like I have through Clarion, but I'm not sure if that covers shipping losses). Besides the fact that I would never survive weeks of wondering "where is my tuba?", I would *never* be able to explain it the situation to my wife and reassure her about it. :)

Their insurance model sounds like moving companies... where they pay you something like 25 cents per pound for losses (or something VERY low), which comes out to be just about nothing. At least they give you the option to purchase additional insurance and itemize your stuff!
pgym
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pgym »

bort wrote:I will never ship with Greyhound unless there is some sort of insurance in place that gives full replacement value in the event of loss (like I have through Clarion, but I'm not sure if that covers shipping losses).
Better not plan on shipping with UPS, FedEx, DHL, USPS, or other commercial carriers either then, because ALL of them state explicitly, in writing, in their Terms and Conditions of Carriage that they don't offer or sell insurance, and that the excess declared value coverage they offer is not insurance.

Don't take legal advice from a lawyer on the Internet. I'm a lawyer but I'm not your lawyer.
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

Even if there is a 1 in 1000 chance of Greyhound losing the tuba, I still would choose that over the other shipping alternatives.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

pgym wrote:
bort wrote:I will never ship with Greyhound unless there is some sort of insurance in place that gives full replacement value in the event of loss (like I have through Clarion, but I'm not sure if that covers shipping losses).
Better not plan on shipping with UPS, FedEx, DHL, USPS, or other commercial carriers either then, because ALL of them state explicitly, in writing, in their Terms and Conditions of Carriage that they don't offer or sell insurance, and that the excess declared value coverage they offer is not insurance.
Question -- does Clarion insurance (which seems to cover just about anything) cover shipping damage? I've read the paperwork and it doesn't specifically say one way or the other... and I don't want to call them and give them ideas (I know homeowners policies can ding you just for asking about stuff).
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I paid a grad student to be a "tuba taxi" for me to work my Neptune-for-Willson trade. The time before that, I met the other person in a Walmart parking lot. I'd do either of those again before I go with Greyhound.

I'm sure Greyhound works great for a lot of people, but personally, I'm just not going to use it.
pgym
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pgym »

bort wrote:Question -- does Clarion insurance (which seems to cover just about anything) cover shipping damage? I've read the paperwork and it doesn't specifically say one way or the other... and I don't want to call them and give them ideas (I know homeowners policies can ding you just for asking about stuff).
Paranoid much?

The ONLY way to get a definitive answer is to ASK CLARION.

Just because one (or more) of their underwriters in the past covered (or didn't cover) shipping in the past doesn't mean their current underwriter does (or doesn't). (No, Clarion is not an insurance company, they're an insurance broker. Clarion Insurance: NYS Disclosure)

And just because they currently do (or don't) cover shipping doesn't mean that they will (or won't) at the time you go to ship.

Don't take legal advice from a lawyer on the Internet. I'm a lawyer but I'm not your lawyer.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I'm curious... were these 'lost tubas' packed in boxes that concealed the contents?.... or just in cases that made them recognizable to a thief?
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

"You pays your money and you takes your chances."

No one is promised a risk-free life. So far, Greyhound has been the best bet. Not a flawless record, but a more acceptable risk than the alternatives, other things being, if not equal, then at least somewhat predictable. That could change. Until it does, I'm going to keep betting on it.

As bloke and the elephant have said from time to time, if you really want to make sure it isn't lost and isn't damaged, just go get it yourself (or something like that).
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

I've used all the carriers - Greyhound/Fed X/UPS and truck freight. I think you take your chances with all of them in some form or another. I fortunately have had success with all of them. I did once have a horn shipped to me from Dillons via LTL shipping 15 years ago where it ended up sitting out on a dock on a pallet somewhere for 10 days and nobody knew where it was or how it had gotten off loaded along the way. It did sustain a bit of damage, but Dillions made good on it. With Greyhound the chance of damage I believe is a lot lower, but the chance of being slow in final delivery or lost is higher. With the lack of reliable tracking the sense of anxiety is higher during shipping with the dog -especially when it doesn't show up right away.
Paul Evans
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Paul Evans »

Dan Schultz wrote:I'm curious... were these 'lost tubas' packed in boxes that concealed the contents?.... or just in cases that made them recognizable to a thief?
My horn was inside a Walt Johnson flight case. That added about $1200 to my loss.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

tofu wrote:With Greyhound the chance of damage I believe is a lot lower
Lower than with truck freight? I'm guessing that, context aside, you meant chance of damage is lower, than with UPS. Greyhound has damaged stuff.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Yep...with truck freight much of the risk comes with the "materials handling equipment" such as forklifts and the trucking / loading dock environment. I've got one almost complete set of Anvil timpani cases here at work that got run through by a forklift. Not one case, but three or four of them...each containing a timpani that costs more than all but the most expensive tubas. Somehow the forklift operator realized he'd stabbed the case(s) and stopped or threw it in reverse before piercing the drums themselves. You'd think that it would only happen once, but this guy hit 3 or 4 cases in a single shipment! So...trucking is not without its risks!
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

lost wrote:I wouldn't call it lost yet. Greyhound is very slow some routes. I'd give it another couple weeks....

All kidding aside, the unclaimed packages deemed lost go to texas somewhere. You should go there and see if it was ever delivered there.
There is actually a warehouse in Dallas where lost packages are sent. Give greyhound customer service a call and ask them to patch you in with Dallas. One thing that GH should have done was a trace-route, did they?

The tuba is somewhere.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
tubamarc8891
bugler
bugler

Post by tubamarc8891 »

mctuba1 wrote:
lost wrote:I wouldn't call it lost yet. Greyhound is very slow some routes. I'd give it another couple weeks....

All kidding aside, the unclaimed packages deemed lost go to texas somewhere. You should go there and see if it was ever delivered there.
There is actually a warehouse in Dallas where lost packages are sent. Give greyhound customer service a call and ask them to patch you in with Dallas. One thing that GH should have done was a trace-route, did they?

The tuba is somewhere.
That's what Greyhound told us to do. We called the warehouse weekly but it never turned up unfortunately.
U.S. Army Band “Pershing’s Own”
Wessex Chicago Presence CC
Eastman 866 F
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

Greyhound scares me now, even though I have shipped through them half a dozen times in the past.

It is most important that you ship to and from major cities only. For instance, if I lived in Muncie, Indiana I would have the tuba shipped to the main terminal in Indianapolis. The fewer stops it makes the less likely it is to disappear. Straight through is best, if you can arrange it.

Even with that, Theft Insurance is a problem. Security is a problem. Damage is a problem. I wouldn't be willing to use Greyhound now except on the most inexpensive tuba.

I guess, I'm with Elephant... I'd rather drive than take a chance.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
windmill
bugler
bugler

Post by windmill »

Just to put a positive note on it: recently I purchased a Mirafone 186 from a C'list Seller in Sacramento, CA. Of all the things that could have gone wrong, nothing did. No damage, no significant delays, of course there was really poor tracking but I was surprised to get a phone call when the tuba came in in White Plains, NY. I would trust Greyhound again.
Mirafone 188 2003
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Wade-
So are these horns for you? What did you get?
Mark

PS ...and I can vouch for Wade 1000% that he WILL travel...we did a horn trade years back and he drove from Mississippi to Buffalo and back!!!!!
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Maybe this could be adapted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-UoERHaSQg" target="_blank

For those who don't remember, this was the first one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo" target="_blank

and there's a third one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P45E0uGVyeg" target="_blank
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop