Tuba on Fire

The bulk of the musical talk
sybrandon
lurker
lurker

Tuba on Fire

Post by sybrandon »

Hi Everyone,
A friend of mine (not a tuba player) sent me this picture by Rene Magritte called "The Discovery of Fire." I had never seen it so I looked it up. Magritte compared this to the caveman's first discovery of fire. He said in a 1938 lecture, "The Ladder of Fire" (which is the first painting containing a burning tuba) afforded me the privilege of being acquainted with the feeling experienced by the first men who produced a flame by rubbing together two pieces of stone." He follows this up with his 1936 "The Discovery of Fire." The discovery is more apparent here; the paper can burn, the chair can burn, but the tuba cannot burn- making the burning tuba an impossible object. Perhaps this should have been named the Tuba Player's Nightmare or the Tuba Teacher's Hope. Certainly a mysterious and startling image. The fire is shown here with great effect against the dark background. What Magritte is trying to do is make you think what the real nature of fire is- normally a tuba cannot catch on fire and burn. By associating fire with an object that cannot burn, he tries to reveal the true nature of fire. I wonder why he chose a tuba? Interesting nonetheless.
Sy Brandon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sy Brandon, Arizona Centennial Composer
Thor Johnson Memorial Commission winner for 2018
2023 winner of ITEA Tuba and Piano Composition Competition
https://sybrandon.com/
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Tuba on Fire

Post by edsel585960 »

Rene Magritte was probably a trumpet player. :lol:
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

The tuba is the "hottest" instrument there is.
Hubert
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

That's not flame, it's woven orangish hair like a certain political candidate... :shock: :D
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?