Need Advice for Drum and Buglehorn Marching Band

The bulk of the musical talk
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Step 1: Don't call them a marching band.

Step 2: Just go and play for 'em. It'll be obvious that you're new to the drum corps thing, and they want to see what they have to start with.

Follow the staff's directions and pay attention to what the veterans say. Arrive with an open mind, and apply whatever marching & playing skills you already have (and discard the techniques that don't apply to what they're doing).
Tom Holtz
Push Button Make Sound
Push Button Make Sound

Post by Tom Holtz »

Leland wrote:Step 1: Don't call them a marching band.
Read the above about fifty times.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

Pippen
bugler
bugler

Post by Pippen »

Now that you've had a demonstration about how touchy drum & bugle corps members are about the terminology used in their world hopefully you can get some advice about the audition.
Don't be intimidated by the unfamiliarity---even the most experienced and knowledgable corps members were in your shoes at one time. Here's a link if you want to look further:
http://www.dci.org/

Most importantly, you will want to go into your audition prepared. Know the audition music well and if possible get feedback ahead of time from an adult such as your band director or private instructor. It would also help if you talked with some of the kids who are already in the corps to find out specifically what the audition will be like. Sometimes that info will be on the websites but it's always good to talk to someone who's been through it.

Good luck on the audition!
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Pippen wrote:Don't be intimidated by the unfamiliarity---even the most experienced and knowledgable corps members were in your shoes at one time.
That's definitely true, and what I tried to say before but with fewer words.

I remember watching the Miami U. marching band in an Orange Bowl parade broadcast, and I could spot a corps marcher in an instant. Clear posture, glass-smooth motion, etc.

The thing is, even a decent corps moves differently from almost any other marching ensemble, and not just in drill design. There's a certain clarity and level of body control when they get it right.

Every current member understands this, and they also understand that very few people catch on overnight. They'll demonstrate and give pointers, and they'll also stay out of the way of the instructional staff.

There's definitely a focus on marching, but it's necessary. You won't be able to play as well as possible unless your marching is up to par.

Realize that they don't want to push people away -- they want to welcome new players and get them performing up to standard as quickly as possible.
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

Leland wrote:Step 1: Don't call them a marching band.
And what's a "buglehorn" :?: :?: :?:

Don't do that again either.

If they aren't playing Bb horns (any DCI corps still use G bugles?)
Don't call 'em tubas or trumpets either:)

Was disappointed to here them use tuba and trumpet on the 04 DCI finals broadcast.
josh wagner
bugler
bugler

Need Advice for Drum and Buglehorn Marching Band

Post by josh wagner »

i belive the Troopers still do and maybe pioneer and proubly alot of the division two and three corps. other than that Southwind marched g bugles last year don't know the status of that this year. but the major corps i do belive have switched to b flats
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

ThomasDodd wrote: (any DCI corps still use G bugles?)
I've heard a rumor that Phantom Regiment was thinking of going back to G in a couple years. And this after learning that they are working with King on revisions to the Bb tubas & euphs (larger, darker, etc).
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

Leland wrote:
ThomasDodd wrote: (any DCI corps still use G bugles?)
I've heard a rumor that Phantom Regiment was thinking of going back to G in a couple years. And this after learning that they are working with King on revisions to the Bb tubas & euphs (larger, darker, etc).
That'd be cool. Learn the error of their ways. Now, if they'd loose all those damned valves.

G, F#, or F for the whole show, none of this changing pitch mid show.

The good (?) old days...

I got some coll papers for the old days. I'll try to get them scanned/posted. They are blcak and white pages,so should be small files. I'm too lazy to retype the text.