Bordogni Legato Studies

The bulk of the musical talk
smurphius
3 valves
3 valves

Bordogni Legato Studies

Post by smurphius »

Greetings again. I'm a college tubist, using many of the standard books I imagine as do many of you out there. I just went looking through a list of tuba books on Hickeys.com this morning and found that the Bordogni Bel Canto studies is not the only Bordogni book for tuba. So, I was wondering, do any of you know anything about the Legato Studies? I just wondered. I was thinking it might be the equivelent to the Rochut for trombone, just in tuba range? Thanks for the info.
dwaskew
pro musician
pro musician

Post by dwaskew »

probably--who's the arranger listed?
Allen
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Allen »

There's a good edition for tuba available at TubaStudio. Another terrific book is "Legato Etudes for Tuba" (edited by Shoemaker), available from the same site.

Allen Walker
smurphius
3 valves
3 valves

Post by smurphius »

Wesley Jacobs is the arranger. There are 3 volumes with led me to believe that it might just be all of them like the Rochut or something. I can't seem to find anyone who knows anything about them though either.
billeuph
bugler
bugler

bordogni = rochut

Post by billeuph »

Actually, these began as vocalizes by Bordogni several centuries ago. Johannes Rochut transcribed for trombone a centry back. Wes Jacobs has done a nice job, I think, of putting this in the right range for tuba. If you are already familiar with the Rochut, then you don't need the Jacobs versions. If not, go for it.