Size of Old 2341 Bells

The bulk of the musical talk
Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Size of Old 2341 Bells

Post by Z-Tuba Dude »

I have seen the old King 2341/1241 horns with upright bells in varying sizes, from 19" to 22".

My question is this: Is the only difference between those horns, the bell? If so, what difference is there in playing (pitch,...etc.) with the different bells?
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: Size of Old 2341 Bells

Post by Rick Denney »

Z-Tuba Dude wrote:I have seen the old King 2341/1241 horns with upright bells in varying sizes, from 19" to 22".

My question is this: Is the only difference between those horns, the bell? If so, what difference is there in playing (pitch,...etc.) with the different bells?
All the bells flared to such a flat angle that adding more rim wouldn't change their intonation characteristics. I think it was Fred Young who said that intonation was unaffacted by more bell flare after a 45-degree angle, or some such.

There are other differences between the 1241 and the 2341. The 1241 has a double loop on the top of the third valve branch. And the upper crook on the first-valve branch is fixed rather than being a moveable slide. It has also been said that the 1241's were made better with careful matching between the bells and bodies. The examples I've played, at the very least, don't dispute that notion.

Rick "who prefers the older 1241's" Denney
Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Z-Tuba Dude »

Thanks for your response, Rick.

I guess what I am really asking, is if anyone has tried the same body (either 2341, or the 1241) with two (or more) different bell sizes. If so, what has been the result?
Will
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Will »

Z-Tuba Dude wrote:I guess what I am really asking, is if anyone has tried the same body (either 2341, or the 1241) with two (or more) different bell sizes. If so, what has been the result?
I once put the bell of a new King sousaphone on the body of a 1241. It was a funny gag for the beginning of rehearsal. It ended up being really front-heavy.

Will
Music Teacher