Burned out on tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
eeflattuba
bugler
bugler

Re: Burned out on tuba

Post by eeflattuba »

I am in the same boat. Not sure what I am going to do.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

I really enjoy the sound I make alone and in ensemblele. I enjoy the role of the tuba and the chance to play some of the great masterworks. I also enjoy my time away from the tuba. My next paid service is end of September. I'm ok with that.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

I think it's like anything else in life, you tire of things after awhile. I don't enjoy playing as much as I used to but it's still fun. I know by the end of the busy winter season the last thing I want to do is play but after a summer off I'm usually ready to go again. Don't get rid of your horns. You'll regret it later.
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
jmerring
3 valves
3 valves

Post by jmerring »

My opinion - MY opinion, is that you can get burnt out of any instrument. You have done nothing wrong; it just happens.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

KiltieTuba wrote:Is it possible to get tired of playing tuba?

I was just practicing for the last hour and really don't enjoy playing as much as I used to. Perhaps this is the music that I'm playing or the environment, but it seems that I simply don't enjoy the aspect of playing a tuba anymore.

Sure, talking about them and thinking about them are still pleasant, but the physical act of playing a tuba doesn't bring me as much joy as it used to.

In fact, I don't really any desire to play at an upcoming audition and lately have been considering selling all of my instruments and loaning the EEb to a museum.

Maybe my priorities have changed? :|
If you haven't taken some time off from it yet to pursue other hobbies, do that first. I've had burn-out times in the past, and found that when I set it aside and come back to it, it helps a lot. Take the summer off if you're thinking of selling everything. Then come back in the fall and see what you think. Yeah, your chops will suck when you start back up, but when I've done this, it just feels good to get back in the saddle, and really get a kick out of it, even with weak chops.

I think it's only human that if you do something all the time without a break, that you will grow bored of it. We are creatures of habit, and routines are very healthy... but they can weigh on you after a while. Change up your life for a while, then see if you really missed it. And if you didn't really miss it, then there's no shame in that either. Priorities and interests DO change.

For me, I still enjoy playing as much as I used to, but in part that's because I'm crazy busy and I get to play less often than I used to (maybe only 2 x 20 minutes of practice per week during the school year). Before I got married (and grad school, and having a kid...) I'd have rehearsals 3 or 4 nights per week, plus I'd practice a LOT. Some kind of middle ground would probably be more healthy for me, but for now, I"ll take what I can get! It helps that my 1-year-old son just LOVES it when I play, and always wants to put his mouth on the mouthpiece. :tuba:
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

If you are feeling bored then it may well be you are playing in group below your standard and are not stretched. I would suggest you look for a higher standard group to join. There is nothing like the thrill of playing at your maximum in a real tight ensemble!
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

I'm still way too new at being back to playing to be close to being bored with the tuba. I love it and play every chance I get. But I've got a woodworking shop a professional could make a living in fifty feet from where I'm sitting, and I never spend more than two or three minutes out there, to grab a tool for something or other. I keep thinking I'll get back into it....
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Find better, more interesting music to play.
Take energy from the other musicians in your interplay.

When it's at its best, doesn't that give you the drive to continue?
If not, there are lots of other things in the world that can. Find one, and let that feed your soul (at least for a while).
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

You've been through some changes in your life--moving from Seattle to northern Michigan to Arizona. Perhaps it's just more challenging to find time for the tuba and to grant it the same priority as it once had In your life.

If you can, hold on to your horns until other factors in your life are relatively secure. Then gradually get back into playing and monitor how it feels.

Hope all is well with you, Ian.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Everybody needs a break now and then. Some negative situations blow over, some you simply have to get out of. Something new can rejuvenate your interest.

The biggest drag to me is excessive rehearsals before a simple gig.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
proam
bugler
bugler

Post by proam »

Take up trumpet. It will help you appreciate the tuba more.

The trumpet is a harsh mistress, chock full of unpleasantness.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Many apologies for the following (autobiographical) statements.

I have read and heard many, many, many stories of seller's regret (I've got a few, myself). Never sell a horn unless you are truly unhappy with the way it plays. Even if you are short on cash, try to find another place to economize; otherwise, you will regret your decision someday. If you need to take a break from playing, do it, but don't sell your horns unless you agree with what I said above.

If, after a respectable amount of time, you still feel the way you do, give it some more time.... :wink:

I think (?) you are several years younger than I; people go through many changes, twists and turns in life, and you've got many ahead of you, too. If someone had told me 30 years ago where I would be today, I would have laughed in their face.

Some days, I feel like I'd rather dig a ditch, than play the tuba. Some days, it's the only thing I want to do; that's human nature, I suppose.

Practice, when done correctly, is hard work, and I hate hard work, more so as I get older. You'd be surprised to hear how many people would say (if they were honest with you) they don't like to practice. I don't it's unusual at all.

Most people are multi-faceted. There's no reason why a person can't have more than one avocation. The more interests you have, the happier you'll be.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness. Best wishes to you, Ian.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Have you considered cutting your Holton to CC? :twisted:
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

KiltieTuba wrote:In fact, I don't really any desire to play at an upcoming audition and lately have been considering selling all of my instruments and loaning the EEb to a museum.
Forget about that stuff. Play tuba (or not) in the moment.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

There's band-band, there's quintet, there's sousaphoning (which can be different things), there's tuba soloing (pretty fringe tho), and there's "plus tuba" stuff, the stuff you just make up. Like random church musicians or playing with guitarists. Spending some time doing "plus tuba" stuff and you might really appreciate the more structured stuff.
jon112780
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jon112780 »

Burn-out can be a result of unmet expectations or goals(realistic or otherwise), which can lead to a change in attitude or mindset.

Given enough time, attitude will lead to action.

Ever hear of a ditch digger getting burn-out? It's not physical, it's mental. Take a step back and reexamine your priorities.

Have the things around you changed, or have you changed?
Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery.
Ulli
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Burned out on women

Post by Ulli »

Why not?
it is not a crime to change interests.
My obsolete interests:
Railways and steam engines
Oldtime cars
Saxophone...
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

Burnout certainly does happen; I ended up abandoning the pursuit of a BME due to the fact the music had mysteriously transitioned from being the most important and joyous part of my life into a dull, unsatisfying chore. Bah!

I did stick around with various ensembles after leaving university in 1996, but playing continued to become less and less rewarding. Finally, in 2002, I packed up and left in the middle of a rehearsal, absolutely disgusted with the dysfunctional relationship I then had with music. I just couldn't go through the motions anymore. Music--once the love of my life--sucked. Being a musician sucked. I walked away.

For the next four years or so, I was a "former musician". The horns stayed in the closet, never seeing the light of day. I did consider selling the whole works, as it seemed at the time that I'd never play 'em again. I couldn't have cared less about music.

But the burnout eventually abated, and the love of music began to bloom again. Noodling around on electric bass with a guitarist friend led to the formation of a bluegrass group. I reacquainted myself with classical organ. And I began giving private lessons to beginning students on brasswinds. It was fun, fresh, rewarding, and all of it was making a positive difference in the lives of people that I care about.

Had I sold off my gear in my four-year break from music, I would've been left scrambling to get a setup back together once the love of the game came back. And it would've cost me some substantial cash.

Please...hang onto your stuff for now. You'll likely pay a lot more in the future to replace what you'd sell off today. Take a break from music if you need to. Know that you're not the only person in this situation.
Tom Gregory
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tom Gregory »

Terry Applebaum has a good thing on YouTube about too much passion. Don't know if it will help you but it might shed some light.
Polkahero
bugler
bugler

Post by Polkahero »

I rarely practice tuba because it's frankly a boring instrument to play on its own. When you've been playing keyboards most of your life, instruments that are capable of only sounding one note at a time don't appeal very much at least in a solo context. I have a blast though playing with various groups!
1967 Mirafone 186 BBb