Are BBb tubas just better ?

The bulk of the musical talk
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: Are BBb tubas just better ?

Post by Rick Denney »

bloke wrote:Again, :arrow: I strongly suspect that Phillips/Jacobs story is folklore. I simply cannot imagine them NOT being able to play each others' tubas.
And I suspect their definition of "unplayable" is vastly different than my own. To wit: I'll bet nobody present for the experiment sensed that these two gentlemen could not play the other gentleman's instrument.

Rick "who has heard beautiful music emanating from instruments subsequently declared by the music-maker as unplayable" Denney
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Michael Bush wrote:There have been some good deals on nice BBb tubas lately. Someone got an open-box Fafner from Music123 recently for $3256.
Damn, someone got a steal of a deal on that tuba :!: Not that I had the money for it anyway.....

I'm working (repair work - side "gig") on a couple school BBb tubas right now -- a M-W 25 BBb and a CBB 681 BBb. After hammering/ironing out the bells and getting the valves and slides moving again, both tubas are playing very well with good sound, intonation and response. The M-W 25 is overall a better-built tuba and has a bigger/richer sound, but the CBB 681 has a nice clear sound and resonant low register and maybe even better intonation. I've played those models years ago and liked them. But having them right here just reaffirms that and makes me want to save up the $$$$ to get one (either one). :tuba:
It is times like this when I pick up beat-up school BBb tubas, give them a little TLC, then play 'em and am amazed at how well those "school" BBb tubas can play :!:
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

I think a lot of if you perceive CC or BBb best depends on with what you are familiar. All tubas have intonation quirks, that is a matter of science, but you possibly even sub consciously adapt to those quirks. Then if you play tuba in another key, you will not adjust, or even adjust wrong so that tuba you then perceive does not play as well. You may not even be aware why you perceive such. A lot more happens sub-conscience than we appreciate.

Now a shameless plug for the new Wessex Wyvern. If you are looking for CC at reasonable price do check out when first batch arrive in about one month. That is not a cut down BBb, but was designed afresh as CC from the start. Many people, including professionals have been blown away by how good it plays. I myself did back to back comparison with Nirschl 6/4 and it plays/sounds/feels very much like its baby brother. We all have our own sound concept, but for me this tuba is perfect balance of breath and projection.

Regarding Rick Denney's mention of F tuba in British orchestras, I think that came into being through the influence of German conductors in UK. A similar influence by American conductors is causing the spread of CC tubas in orchestras around the world. Even in Germany the CC tuba is starting to appear.
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

"That is somewhat akin to the story of when Harvey Phillips and Arnold Jacobs played each others horns. Both found the instruments almost unplayable."

Pure B.......T !!!!!
Free to tuba: good home
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tmz1m »

I'd love to see a recording of a really good BBb tuba performance. Anything immediately come to the collective mind?
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
Getzen 3047AFR Tenor Trombone
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Yes.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

tmz1m wrote:I'd love to see a recording of a really good BBb tuba performance. Anything immediately come to the collective mind?
Search around YouTube for orchestra videos for just about any German orchestra, or the Vienna Philharmonic (just make sure its "big stuff" where they wouldn't use an F tuba). Personally, I like the Berlin Philharmonic. I've seen them live a few times (once in Berlin and twice in NYC), and Alexander von Puttkamer sounds just incredible.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Wyvern wrote:Regarding Rick Denney's mention of F tuba in British orchestras, I think that came into being through the influence of German conductors in UK. A similar influence by American conductors is causing the spread of CC tubas in orchestras around the world. Even in Germany the CC tuba is starting to appear.
Certainly German conductors were influential in Britain in the 19th Century. The instrument in common use for parts marked "tuba" prior to the 5-valved Barlow F tuba was probably a euphonium (according to Bevan), and it is reasonable that the music of the day would exceed the capabilities of a euphonium. As to whether the instrument is in F or Eb, I'm not sure conductors ever particularly cared, of if they did have an opinion, it was based on received wisdom on the choice of a favored performer. It seems to me that the French influence was strong in Britain, carried there by Besson (and to America by such as Distin), and the Barlow F was an enlargement of the French C tuba. Clearly, though, Britain followed the Sax tradition with top-action Perinet valves, and I rather doubt that was the stated preference of German conductors, who by that time were more than familiar with F and C rotary tubas.

August Helleberg favored a rotary C Sandner, which surely has its roots in the Cerveny contrabass of prior decades. But I doubt conductors cared much that it was pitched in C rather than Bb, as long as it was played in tune. When Stokowski demanded that Donatelli obtain a larger tuba, it was pitched in C, but I suspect that was Donatelli's preference, though I still harbor this notion that the flat-first configuration of the 5th valve was originally intended to be a switch valve to turn the instrument into a Bb tuba at need.

I wonder if the spread of CC tuba use in Europe is the result of American conductors, or American performers. Mel Culbertson probably had as much to do with the demise of the French C tuba in French orchestras as any conductor, and John Fletcher probably had as much to do with the acceptance of large American-style contrabass tubas (for at least some literature) in Britain as did any visiting conductor. He also can take credit for substantially increasing the size and breadth of the bass tuba used in Britain, from the small F tuba with a 13" bell to the Sovereign-style Besson Eb tuba with a 17" and then a 19" bell.

American tuba players in orchestras are more often reaching for Bb rotary kaiser tubas for certain literature, so I don't think we are done seeing Bb contrabass tubas used by orchestra professionals.

Rick "who would have loved to hear Dave Kirk play the Rudy 6/4 Bb he borrowed from Mike Lynch" Denney
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

Chester Schmitz had a Bb Alexander that he used when he thought it appropriate. And nobody really knew because it looked so similar to his C.
The Singing Whale
Jess Haney
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jess Haney »

Any recording of a British brass band has great BBb tuba recordings.
Brass Band Tacoma
Puget Brass
Willson BBb 3100 FA5
Willson Eb 3400 FA5

..and a miriad of other JUNK not worth mentioning.
S.G.F.
bugler
bugler

Post by S.G.F. »

Surely we can just admit that there are good and bad examples of each and move on. Mouthpiece goes here etc? Pick the instrument that suits the music? ie, no F tuba for Prokofiev 5, or no 6/4 Kaiser tuba for Ravel Daphnis & Chloe? Likewise an F tuba isn't easy in a Brass Band?

I'm fortunate to have a great 6/4 C, and a great 5/4 B Flat, and a brilliant F. I have different mouthpieces for each, and I don't let other people play them lest they discover that they are worth trying to borrow, or I discover that they are really not worth keeping. I guess the upside of this policy would be that when it doesn't work, it's me, and when someone offers a compliment, the buck stops in the same place. The down side would be that my bank manager isn't owed any money. Wait..........

As for great playing on a Bflat tuba?? Try Maris Jansons Bayrishces Rundfunks Orchestra Shostakovich 12. (Putkammer pre Berlin I think? On a Meinl 197??) Or Frankfurt Radio anything from Inbal through to Paarvo Jarvi (the mighty and amazing David Glidden on a Bayreuth Special [the Berlioz Requiem is a special treat]) Might also be worth Leipzig Gewandhaus Blomstedt Bruckner Cycle (David Cribb on a rudi), or anything with NDR Sinfonie under Gunter Wand (Walter Hilgers on another 197? ). If you're up for a laugh, try the Mnozil Brass guy standing in for Bransdottir, Albert Weider on what looks like another rudi. Or the Russian Philharmonic with Yablonsky recording of Shostakovich 7 on the Naxos label. There's more, But I'm not going to type half of my cd collection up, that would take more time than I have.

Play the one you have. It might just be more rewarding.
Nirschl York
JBL Classic
Rudi Meinl 5/4 Bflat
Besson Sovreign 994

YouTube; SGFTuba
Freelance, Teacher & Paid Gig operator.
Sydney, Australia
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

S.G.F. wrote:Surely we can just admit that there are good and bad examples of each and move on.
Well, given that the post you responded to was from last August, I rather think we had.

Rick "who sometimes misses dates when looking through the archives" Denney
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

Is this even an issue?

ps sometimes giving a tuba what it needs is giving it up for sale
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

Better than what? Better than CC's? I'd say no. Better than they USED to be? I'd say a resounding YES! When I was a student, the only horns really available were the Mirafones and Alexanders. There were the Conns, and and the like for American tubas, but orchestrally, the vogue was rotary tubas and there just wasn't much of professional quality BBb's available. Nowadays, there are a BUNCH of GREAT BBb tubas: Mirafone, B&S, Meinl Weston, Gronitz and Rudolph Meinl make GREAT pro quality BBb's.
Jim Brewer
bugler
bugler

Post by Jim Brewer »

I've had a MW30 CC for years, but. Is that I'm doing all my playing in a band, I'm seriously thinking about adding a BBB and looking hard at the Wessex Luzern over the Mack Brass 210 due to the Luzern's 5 th valve. I agree that ALl have intonation quirks. I played Bb during summer break and when college started, al my instructor said was " I can tell you've been playing a Bb a lot. Cc tubas were " in vogue" at the college level in the 70's and playing a Bb was kin to sacrilege! I had spoken with several college tuba instructors and none of them recommended a Bb as a primary instrument. Maybe a little prejudice going on. Concerning the Luzern, I was also considering a Wisconsin but had 2 concerns. One, I've never been comfortable with front action piston valves ( probably just my mindset ), and for less $$, I can have the 5th valve with the Luzern. Does anyone else have a suggestion or thoughts?
Jim Brewer
Eastman 832
Meinl Weston model 30 CC #147
Pan American Eb 52J
Selmer Paris K-modified trombone
Shenandoah Conservatory '79