Eb Helicon

The bulk of the musical talk
vespa50sp
bugler
bugler

Eb Helicon

Post by vespa50sp »

I pulled out the Chicago Silver Piston Eb Helicon for the last concert of the summer. I'm guessing it was the first time it was played outdoors in maybe 50 years (I did take it to tuba Christmas last year).
It was a fine horn for outside, maybe a bit like a bass trombone. Was pretty much in tune when I pulled all the slides. Some of the small size was made up by the bell pointing in the right direction. Fun
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Eb Helicon

Post by imperialbari »

My brass gallery has a very few entries for Champion Silver Piston Chicago instruments apparently made as stencils for Lyon & Healy. The brand of your helicon is so close that the source likely would be the same.

The valve wrap of this helicon almost definitely tells it as been made in Europe. An interesting feature is that the tubing resting on the left shoulder is NOT fake like with most American circlophoniums aside from the full circle ones by King or by Buescher.

The British and the Czechs also used true acoustical tubing for their shoulder supports, but there the tubing approches and leaves the turning point in close parallel positions, whereas your helicon looks like having a more open angle at the turning point (thereby giving a better support).

I cannot tell in which country your helicon was made, but my immediate guess would be France.

And yes, I very much would like high resolution photos of your helicon for my gallery. Front and rear shots emulating the original blue prints, detailed photos of the valve section and of the shoulder support area, readable shots of all engravings. The latter may be difficult to get because of glare, but shots from different angles are helpful in adding up the full text.

Klaus
vespa50sp
bugler
bugler

Post by vespa50sp »

I'll see what I can do. I have seen identical horns sold by Ditson and JW Pepper. I have never identified the brand (there are no other markings) but it does look a bit like a Coueson.

The receiver is actually the same size as a euro euphonium shank (the medium one). I have a bass trombone mouthpiece with shank shaved down, that seem to work best.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Couesnon 1937:
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

It seems as if the cheapo Indian sousaphones have taken cues for their valveset design from the Couesnon.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

I believe i got a cheap Eb Helicon (i guess it is Eb based on the length of the second valve loop) missing the second valve.

The bell labels it professional, and it is missing the piston and top cap (and spring) for the second valve, as well as a portion of its neck.

It is sufficiently interesting that i should post pictures (hence this post is a place holder to remind me i mean to do so) and ask if there is any hope of replacing that second valve. Will try to get pictures up by Tuesday at latest (assuming deadlines help get stuff done) and explain what i think is so intriguing (if it isn't obvious from the pictures)
Thanks for playing!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

As promised, a picture of an Eb hecicon whose wrap was new to me.Image

Coincidentally, since my earlier post, 2 similar helicons have shown up on ebay... Only, they have their 2nd piston. Strange world...

Will probably point them out in the ebay forum shortly...
Thanks for playing!