Postby bisontuba » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:58 am

Purty :D ....
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: releasing stressed braces and the advantageous outcomes

Postby bloke » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:21 pm

bisontuba wrote:Purty :D ....

thnx...' having fun with it, and beginning to (well...sort-of) "understand" the "larger bore F tuba" thing.
Certainly, there are obvious trade-offs, which include sacrificing just a little bit of ease of motion (both mechanical - simply due to the larger build-scale of the not-GDR rotors...combined with the larger bore making the rotors larger anyway, and musical) in exchange for gained loudness and low-range resonance.
Again, remaining in the same design "family" (one that requires no slide-yanking), the learning curve is very gently-sloped.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Mark Finley » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:54 pm

very interesting thread...

Thinking of having my Eb "Sprung" , I have reasons to believe this horn has been taken apart a few times in its life, and I'm wondering if it was slapped back together using a bunch of clamps. I bet it if I took a torch to it, it would spring like a jack in the box
Formerly 58Mark
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby MaryAnn » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:31 am

I was waiting for Rick to chime in because he has the mind to address this. My first reaction to the post was, Oh here we go with the "this is new information so it can't possibly have any merit" responses, which seem to happen any time you challenge someone's belief system. And depending on the patience of the OP, the discussion can go in the potty or not.
For me, it makes prefect sense that a brace that is either pushing or pulling on the tubing, whether you can SEE it or not, is going to affect the shape of and/or the stress on that tubing. So much for voodoo. As to the expertise required to get those braces in their best possible position, kudos to those who can do it. One of those things that you don't know until you do it, whether it will have any effect on that particular tuba.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Postby bloke » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:40 pm

This encourages me to offer an "unspringing" service...albeit accompanied by a ton of paperwork that those desiring "unspringing" would be required to sign (with a Notary witness).
bloke

Previous

Return to TubeNet