Vintage York Master tuba questions

The bulk of the musical talk
questforfish
lurker
lurker

Vintage York Master tuba questions

Post by questforfish »

Hi All,
I am new here as Ive just discovered this web forum. I have been a musician all my life, playing alto sax, flute, keyboards, and guitar. But just recently, I acquired a vintage York Master tuba and I don't know anything about it, such as its history as to where it was made, its age, or its value. I'm including pictures so you can see the instrument. Also, it has a number on it: 582384. I hope someone can help me get to know this tuba and thus ultimately decide if I will keep it or sell it, thanks! :tuba:
Bev

Ok, got a few pics attached now thanks to fellow poster :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by questforfish on Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:43 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Vintage York Master tuba questions

Post by Dan Schultz »

You can use your 'paint' program to reduce the size of the images to less than 264K (I think that's the magic number) and they should post OK. An alternative is to use a picture hosting site an post a link.

Judging by the serial number you may have one of the German (B & S) York 'Master' tubas. If that's the case it's probably around fifty years old.

Send an image to danschultz@wowway.com" target="_blank
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
questforfish
lurker
lurker

Post by questforfish »

Oh thanks Dan. That is my problem for posting the pics so I will try that right now. Thanks for your information!
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Looks like a baritone.
questforfish
lurker
lurker

Post by questforfish »

Well, that just goes to show you I don't know what I've got....lol. Sorry, I did my best on the pics as it's my first time resizing a pic using paint.
That has been a confusing question to me; whether its classified as a member of the tuba family or if its just called a Baritone. Thanks for all the info so far; its helping! :?
Minkrott
bugler
bugler

Post by Minkrott »

From the pics, I would say it is trombonium. http://www.rugs-n-relics.com/Brass/trom ... onium.html" target="_blank
King 2341 New Style
King 2341 Recording Bell
GRBIC 1907 Eb
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Minkrott wrote:From the pics, I would say it is trombonium. http://www.rugs-n-relics.com/Brass/trom ... onium.html" target="_blank" target="_blank
Ding ding ding. The narrow throat is the giveaway. Congratulations, you've won Name That Tuba!
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Yup. It's a trombonium. I have one that's badged 'York Master' and I also had one that was identical badged simply 'King'. I don't think they were made in the US. ... Probably German.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
questforfish
lurker
lurker

Post by questforfish »

Minkrott and Dan,
This is so good to find out as it has been such a mystery to many that I have asked of my friends and acquaintances! I'm guessing it's just not a common instrument to see or find anymore. Still, I don't know it's value or age, but I've got something to work with now. I think of all the years I spent in band and played in a band or two during my college years, and I'd never heard of a trombonian!
So anyone have a ball park/long shot of an idea of what it's worth or its age or how I can find out. Google hasn't helped.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

A silverplated Conn version sold for $649 on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Conn-90G-Trombo ... 7675.l2557" target="_blank

Wild guess based on the above: depending on condition, yours might fetch upwards of $500.
questforfish
lurker
lurker

Post by questforfish »

Thanks for the estimated value. I'll have to inspect this instrument more to see if the tuning slides work, if there's more than one. One slide works fine and has a "set screw" to loosen and tighten it. Just not sure if there's more than one that moves.
Thanks again for more info on this piece!