Greyhound Packing Question

The bulk of the musical talk
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Greyhound Packing Question

Post by doublebuzzing »

For those of you who have shipped a tuba in a large box with Greyhound: Have you ever been asked to open the box to show what's in it? On the website it says to leave the package open for inspection but I would much rather have everything securely wrapped up at home. I wonder how common it is for them to ask you to open up a taped up package?
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Greyhound Packing Question

Post by arpthark »

I have never had to open the package. Shipped 3 or 4 horns this way. I'm sure others have more experience than me though.
vespa50sp
bugler
bugler

Post by vespa50sp »

I've done it twice and didn't open their box either time.
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

Also, what do you all make of this statement on the Greyhound page: "Declared Values

Shipments with declared or released value of more than $1,000 will not be transported. In all cases, the carrier's liability is limited to the actual value of the items lost or damaged regardless if a higher value was declared. For multiple piece shipments declared value will be evenly divided for each piece (i.e. $200 declared value on a four piece shipment would equate to $50 per piece). If a higher amount is required for a single piece, it should be tendered as a separate shipment with its own declared value."

Should I not tell them it is worth over $1000?
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

I've shipped maybe a dozen or so instruments with Greyhound. The counter clerk has other things to do, really doesn't give a flip what I'm shipping unless it reminds her of a cool story, which it sometimes does [EDIT: like the time another tubenetter received a horn, opened the box and sat down and played it for 20 minutes right there in the station... she brings that up every time I appear, and I wasn't the one who did it!].

It has never crossed any of their minds, as far as I can tell, to question whether there was really a tuba in that big box.
Last edited by Michael Bush on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

If possible, as bloke said, try to ship your package out of the larger Greyhound terminals (especially ones that are familiar with the whole GPX experience), even if it means driving a few hours; also it would also be a good idea to convince the receiving party to do likewise - this will reduce significantly your odds of loss or damage.

Also, I was under the impression that declared value could not exceed $300.....

As to the attitude taken by Greyhound employees, I've never had a counter agent ask what was inside the carton; but then again, I'm assuming that's because all the folks here up north are too indifferent to care to ask..... :lol:
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
TheHatTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TheHatTuba »

doublebuzzing wrote:Should I not tell them it is worth over $1000?
I wouldn't worry about it. Never seen them give anyone a hard time about it. They always ask what is inside, but that's usually the extent of it.

Fwiw, I have not used their insurance on the last dozen or so times I've shipped with them. They have a minimum ($100 I think).
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

bloke wrote:I believe if it travels far enough, there may not be any declared value available.
IIRC, I seem to recall that the magic number here might be 800 miles......
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

On their website it states that inspection is at the discretion of the station. Pack it and seal it up and worry about it later as they probably won't ask to inspect it.

Insurance starts at $100.00 and can go up to $1000.00 depending on how far it's traveling. Next to shipping a tuba on a pallet, GH is the safest way to go.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707