"Perantucci" models that were not made by B&S

The bulk of the musical talk
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

"Perantucci" models that were not made by B&S

Post by arpthark »

This eBay post got me wondering, and I did not want to hijack that thread any further...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-S-Parantucci- ... SwawpXvLbh" target="_blank

To me, this horn doesn't really look like a B&S. It's missing that characteristic decorative curved thumb ring flange, and the braces do not look like B&S style braces. It also has a two-piece leadpipe, as well as a horizontal MTS. The engraving also seems like old Meinl-Weston style, but the linkages seem newer. Anybody want to weigh in, or am I dead wrong here (a likely possibility)?

This leads me to a related question: what other brands were Perantucci-stamped? I know Kurath had Perantucci models, and Meinl-Weston apparently bought out the B&S factory in the early 1990s, so were there PT Meinl-Weston models?
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Re: "Perantucci" models that were not made by B&S

Post by tmz1m »

Sub'd; I find that horn to be really interesting, I'd love to know more about it. I sent the seller a few messages but he doesn't appear to know much about it, other than the fact that he bought it at the Tuba Exchange 20 years ago.
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
Getzen 3047AFR Tenor Trombone
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

^That is a fantastic idea.
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tmz1m »

Is he still at bobtucci@aol.com" target="_blank" target="_blank (found it in the archives)? I'm glad to send him an email.

Nevermind -- I tried that address and it was returned.
Last edited by tmz1m on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

There are some Nirschl tubas (4/4 sized) that are engraved "Perantucci" on them. I believe they actually say something along the lines of "Perantucci Model." I am not sure (can't remember) who actually made those instruments, but they do exist.

I'm not aware of any Meinl Weston branded tuba being engraved as a Perantucci also (or instead of MW), but I guess it's possible.

The Kurath-Perantucci connection that you mentioned was Willson related, so models you've seen engraved that way were made there.

The one on ebay certainly is unusual. It might have been an old offering from Custom Music from years (decades, really) back. Or it could be something else entirely. I dunno...
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Could it be a Rudy Meinl?
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

bloke wrote:I've never seen a two-piece RM mouthpipe tube, as is seen here...

My thoughts as well, upon a closer look. Is the two piece mouth pipe a Meinl Weston hallmark or is it more widespread than that?

Edit: if anyone has Bob Tucci's contact info I will gladly shoot him a message.
gregsundt
Undecided
Undecided

Post by gregsundt »

arpthark wrote:Could it be a Rudy Meinl?
Rudy Meinl used only one brand: his own. Fred re-branded Boehm & Meinl tubas, and I'm guessing this was an early prototype before they came to terms with B&S. The copper plates on the valveset remind me of some slant-rotor Marzans built by B&M.
"The only problem with that tuba is, it does everything you tell it to!" - Robert LeBlanc
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tmz1m »

I emailed Vince Simonetti (used to own the Tuba Exchange) and he said he could not recall that specific horn.
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Could try contacting info@hornboerse.de" target="_blank to reach Bob's team, maybe they can help?

Or, send a PM to "TheBerlinerTuba", he knows a lot and knows a lot of people who know a lot.
TheBerlinerTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheBerlinerTuba »

This BBb tuba was made by Böhm & Meinl Symphonic, the company Walter Nirschl took over years ago.
http://www.walternirschl.de/sites/instrumente_neu.html

I believe this particular tuba is a model 286 4/4 BBb with the 45cm diameter bell and 20.50mm Meinl Schmidt valve block. The reddish color on the top of the valve casings is because they are made of bronze. It's very similar to a Meinl Weston model 25 in design.

The Perantucci logo is a brand name, and has been engraved on many different companies' tubas, usually B&S but sometimes B&M or Kurath/Wilson instruments as well.

Regards, TheBerlinerTuba
TheBerlinerTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheBerlinerTuba »

bloke wrote:Not only the overall design, but the engraving is remarkably similar to the "Meinl-Weston" (all caps, and yes- at that same slant) engraving that appeared on some of the earliest exported-to-America "Meinl-Weston" tubas (as with the design of this tuba - before they changed the 3rd valve tubing wrap and before they ditched the bell kranz and went to stark block letters with "DIVISION OF GETZEN" (or something like that) on the bell (as the instruments sold in Europe - yes? - were engraved "Melton").

...Of course, both Melton and B&M Symphonic were both in Geretsried, so I suppose the same engraver certainly could have engraved instruments for both of them.
The engraving style is typical of southern German brass makers from around this time period. I see tubas and other brass from this area, all with the same style of engraving. I have no idea if the engraving was by the same person, but the font was something most of them learned and used. Another typical example would be engravings from Markneukirchen between 1950-1990 which all seem to be from the same person...
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tmz1m »

Thank you so much for clearing that up, very interesting!

TheBerlinerTuba wrote:This BBb tuba was made by Böhm & Meinl Symphonic, the company Walter Nirschl took over years ago.
http://www.walternirschl.de/sites/instrumente_neu.html

I believe this particular tuba is a model 286 4/4 BBb with the 45cm diameter bell and 20.50mm Meinl Schmidt valve block. The reddish color on the top of the valve casings is because they are made of bronze. It's very similar to a Meinl Weston model 25 in design.

The Perantucci logo is a brand name, and has been engraved on many different companies' tubas, usually B&S but sometimes B&M or Kurath/Wilson instruments as well.

Regards, TheBerlinerTuba
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tmz1m »

Definitely a cool tuba. I almost bid on it; I think the buyer got a good deal.
Rath R9 Bass Trombone