Giant front valve Martin at BBC

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Giant front valve Martin at BBC

Post by Bob Kolada »

k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Giant front valve Martin at BBC

Post by k001k47 »

Cut it to CC :twisted:
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Add a forth and fifth valve too, while you are at it....

:roll:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

k001k47 wrote:Cut it to CC :twisted:
I know this is just a joke, but I have never understood this idea of cutting BBb tubas to CC. They never play as well and it is a lot quicker to learn to play in a different key, as well as cheaper than cutting tuba.

Also a 3-valve BBb is still quite a useful tuba, while a 3-valve CC is of limited use :wink:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Because this is America, yo.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Wyvern wrote:
k001k47 wrote:Cut it to CC :twisted:
I know this is just a joke, but I have never understood this idea of cutting BBb tubas to CC. They never play as well and it is a lot quicker to learn to play in a different key, as well as cheaper than cutting tuba.

Also a 3-valve BBb is still quite a useful tuba, while a 3-valve CC is of limited use :wink:
I agree with you, but I think there are rare exceptions such as the case of Sam Gnagey, who does fantastic work and whose process is more involved than a chop-and-swap. His personal CC is one of the best tubas I've played. Bloke's Buescher projects also come to mind.

I think market for and interest in BBb --> CC conversions has waned a bit because of the availability of high quality (or in some cases, just plain cheap) new 6/4 York-style CC tubas.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

What we should be doing is un-cutting Eb to BBb!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

If the exceptional character of the sound can be maintained after the conversion, I think this is what would sell me on that particular tuba if I needed such an instrument in CC. (Which I would say I do) For some reason, be it the aging of the metal, or some historic metalurgical secret long lost, vintage instruments, say over 85 years or so, seem to respond and sound a bit unique. New horns, with softer metals, and likely a different alloy, not to mention the hammering out of dents, soldering joints, buffing and yes the wearing of the valve tolerances can be construed to contribute to this uniqueness. Perhaps more than we would care to think is that the worn valves contribute to a certain mellowness (for the lack of a better word) I was told once by a noted tech that rebuildling the valves could easily destroy the "mystique and charm" of the old cannon that I was fanticizing over. Plus considering the exspense of just having it rebuilt into BBb was more than I cared to lay out, so for a few years I used heavy oiled and went back to playing in Bb.

I did sell it recently, and a well respected fellow here or TubeNet is enjoying it now, having totally rebuilt it like a Cadillac, and it is still in Bb.

Each tuba does seem to have an individual personality to its sound and response. (perhaps more with response) Newer horns that are not hand made probably lose some of this individuality, depending on how much robotics and jigs are used in assembling.

Sometimes I kick myself for having let go of a number of fine vintage tubas, actually in all 4 keys, for brand spanking new instruments. While there were a number of unique elements associated with these horns, I eventually got rather tiresome having to work around so many other issues of pitch, ergonomics, funky/quirky notes etc. that I ridded myself of them and popped bucks for newer equipment, that quite frankly I enjoy very much and that do what I need.

As has been said many times, no tuba is perfect. So can it deliver what you have do need to do with a certain pleasure and comfort in using it. To me that is the bottom line.

So original CC or Conversion, Eh! Take each on its own merits.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Three Valves wrote:What we should be doing is un-cutting Eb to BBb!!
Not really related to the subject but....

I was looking at the Wessex tournister tuba in both BBb and CC and was thinking how great it would be to have either as a Eb. It could be even smaller. Might sound like ***, too.

A couple of years ago, I did see a King Eb that had been 'extended' to CC. Reports were that it sounded OK but not that OK. Kind of one of those, "Yeah, that proves it can be done but isn't good enough to do it again..." things. (It was for sale at Baltimore Brass also)

I've been playing in community band for awhile now and I haven't had anything that couldn't be played on a 3v BBb. This one is a beauty. Keep it that way.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

The Big Ben wrote: I was looking at the Wessex tournister tuba in both BBb and CC and was thinking how great it would be to have either as a Eb. It could be even smaller. Might sound like ***, too.
I thought cutting the CC tornister to Eb might work, as the taper is gradual, but when we tried the intonation was terrible - almost a step out in high register! So to make a Eb or F tornister it will have to be a completely new body. I have ever since been searching for vintage F/Eb tornister for reference, but have not come across any except in pictures.
Last edited by Wyvern on Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle Markie
bugler
bugler
Location: Highlands NJ - gateway to the Jersey Shore (Sandy Hook)

Post by Uncle Markie »

That horn is now mine and it's going to remain as it was built in 1926-27 in BBb. It plays great as it is and is delivers a big sound with surprisingly little effort.

Dave and his staff at BBS are terrific too.

Mark Heter
Mark Heter
1926 Martin Handcraft 3v upright bell front action ; 1933 Martin Handcraft 3v bellfront; King 2341 (old style); King top-action 3v; Bach (King) fiberglass sousaphone.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Uncle Markie wrote:That horn is now mine and it's going to remain as it was built in 1926-27 in BBb. It plays great as it is and is delivers a big sound with surprisingly little effort.

Mark Heter
Congrats!
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

Congrats and thank you.

I almost had the "so there's this tuba for sale" talk with the wife... again.

I'm trying to honor my promise of only having a sousaphone "problem".

3 is not too many, right?
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Uncle Markie wrote:That horn is now mine and it's going to remain as it was built in 1926-27 in BBb. It plays great as it is and is delivers a big sound with surprisingly little effort.

Mark Heter
Congratulations! I played that tuba several weeks ago and agree it's a great horn as is.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop