Greetings from MN

The bulk of the musical talk
MN_TimTuba

Greetings from MN

Post by MN_TimTuba »

All,
I've been following TubeNet for a while, mostly reading your invaluable advice and enjoying the For Sale items; thought it was time to finally become a member.
Like most of you, I have a varied musical background. Most of the time when I perform it's on either Tuba, Bass Guitar, Guitar, or Trombone, or as a vocalist. Teaching Band, Jazz Band, Choir, and General Music in the MN public school systems kept me busy for a long time, then I went on to a career in retail sales. Sadly, I only have one tuba, but it's one that I like - a Holton 345 BBb. It's in need of some repairs and upkeep, but it still sounds mighty nice and fat in the local community bands and for the occasional church solo. Other instruments clogging up my den include a nice Olds Special Trumpet, an Olds Trombone, a Fender acoustic 6-string dreadnaught, a little Yamaha acoustic 6-string, a lovely Cherry Epiphone Rivoli bass, a flute, and a Conn C-Melody Sax. Oh, and some old metal Bb clarinet, along with the normal jews harps and nose flutes and such. My only near brush with immortality is that I was able to have some limited private study with Mr. Arnold Jacobs while I was in college in Chicago in the '70s, and that was pretty remarkable. Other noteworthy private teachers included Andrew Lumbrazo (trombone) and Charles Boston (bass trombone), both of the Chicago Lyric Opera Orchestra, both good guys. Currently, I'm a husband, a dad, and a (very young) grandfather of three future musicians. Away from music, here in MN you can find me in a canoe, or taking care of the very large yard, or cutting wood, or doing the hunting/fishing/camping thing. Or doing things in our church, like hosting an annual Sporting Clays event at my place north of town. Other than that, life is good, tubas are sweet. You'll see me around. Tim
Zypher
bugler
bugler

Re: Greetings from MN

Post by Zypher »

Nice see another MN member! Welcome.
1948 Holton 122 (brass lacquer with 26” bell)
1929 Conn 38K (satin silver with 26” gold wash bell)
1936 Conn 40K (silver with 24” bell)
Next?
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

Greetings from sunny Florida. Glad you are here. :D
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Welcome, Tim! What part of MN? I'm in Minneapolis. Went to the fair today. :)
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

Hi Tim.
Great to have you join us, and your BAT 345 as well.
Hoping we can cross paths sooner than later.
Best wishes
Paul (south of the river)
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

Welcome aboard. I'm from Woodbury. We hope you can meet up at Tuba Christmas or the Oystein Baadsvik Concert.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Rev Rob
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Rev Rob »

From Minnesota as well, that is where I got my start playing tuba 52 years ago. Grew up in Plainview, went to the University of Minnesota, Morris. Left Minnesota in 1977 for good, but have always had a driver's license from a state starting with "M".
Beginning again to be a tuba player.
1291 King Double B flat with detachable bell.
"The hills are alive, with the sound of (tuba) music."
vespa50sp
bugler
bugler

Post by vespa50sp »

From MN as well, currently a community band player in roseville. Haas runs a pretty reasonable old-school repair shop in ew Brighton, though I bet you know that. They are manufacturing a bearIng for my Eb rat tuba right now.
hduong
bugler
bugler

Post by hduong »

Welcome to the board! Holton 345's are great horns, I've only tried a few, but have always had a great time playing on them.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Hey Vespa50sp,
Thanks for the tip on Haas repair shop. Turns out they are about a mile from my son's home, I'll give 'em a buzz and see about bringing the old Holton up to snuff.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Fellow Tubists,
Many thanks for the greetings.
For those of you who've asked, I'm located about 3 hrs N of the Twin Cities, in Wadena county, between Brainerd and Fargo. Currently both my wife (clarinet - we met in college band) and I perform in the Lakes Area Community Band in Detroit Lakes, MN. At age 58 I'm the youngest of the three tuba men - one is 74, the other is 82, and both still sounding very good. Looks like I should have another 30 yrs or so behind the tuba, and I'm looking forward to that - although a smaller 4/4 horn may be in the picture by then. I've played in a number of the local community bands (five others), pit orchestras, etc., and also with the Heartland Symphony from Brainerd/Little Falls. There are a number of playing possibilities here in the boonies if one looks about a bit, which is a surprising and very good thing.
Tim
Zypher
bugler
bugler

Post by Zypher »

MN_TimTuba wrote:...my wife (clarinet - we met in college band)...
I also live in MN with my wife (clarinet - we met in college band - U of M Marching Band). :D
1948 Holton 122 (brass lacquer with 26” bell)
1929 Conn 38K (satin silver with 26” gold wash bell)
1936 Conn 40K (silver with 24” bell)
Next?
Rev Rob
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Rev Rob »

After a hard day playing tuba, you can relax with your fellow Finns in a sauna.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Rev Rob wrote:After a hard day playing tuba, you can relax with your fellow Finns in a sauna.
Rev Rob - After 30+ years here I've been somewhat accepted as an honorary Finn. Not bad for a Norske/Swede/German boy, I guess. Funny that you should know of Finnish things, I guess you've been around, eh?
Tim
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Zypher wrote:
MN_TimTuba wrote:...my wife (clarinet - we met in college band)...
I also live in MN with my wife (clarinet - we met in college band - U of M Marching Band). :D
Zypher,
Yes, it appears that the clarinet embouchure and the tuba embouchure are highly complementary. We are living proof.
During what time span were you in the U band? I always enjoyed Dr. Ben.
Tim
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I go to the U now for grad school. No time for band, though. :(
Rev Rob
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Rev Rob »

At UMM I had a Finnish girl friend from New York Mills, and a really good friend who lived in Wadena. Also the LCMS pastor moved from my home town of Plainview to Wadena in the late 60's. I like saunas.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Rev Rob,
I work in Wadena, and both sides of my family are from Wadena for 3 or 4 generations back. I probably wouldn't know your Finnish girlfriend (which is good for both of us) but I may know your Wadena pal, if you want to send the name. You probably were forced to learn to say "SOW-na" correctly, weren't you?
Tim
Rebel
bugler
bugler

Post by Rebel »

Welcome!!! I am not from MN, but am a die hard Vikings fan!! Go figure...... I guess because the Vikings have "horns", like the rest of us here. :tuba:
1990 Yamaha YBB-631 4/4 BBb Compensating Tuba
1995 Yamaha YEP-201 Euphonium
Conn 605 Trombone
Fretted and Fretless 5 String Electric Bass