Know anything about this vintage Holton mouthpiece?

The bulk of the musical talk
Dave Detwiler
bugler
bugler

Know anything about this vintage Holton mouthpiece?

Post by Dave Detwiler »

In my ongoing research on Herman Conrad (1867-1920), I learned that at some point Frank Holton made a "Conrad Model" tuba mouthpiece. Don Harry let me know about this, as he has one of these in his collection. Here it is, on the right, next to a Holton Collegiate mouthpiece (thanks for the photo, Don!):
Conrad Model by Holton.jpeg
The rim, as you noticed, is concave, which I'm guessing is something that Conrad preferred (although Holton made a whole line of concave rim mouthpieces, starting at around 1911). Don thinks that "the concave shape went horizontally for a very narrow jaw formation."

On the other side of the mouthpiece, it says "Frank Holton, Chicago," which means it was produced prior to the Spring of 1918, as that is when Holton moved his business from Chicago to Elkhorn. From 1903 until he passed in 1920, Conrad was part of the elite group of musicians who were the "house band" at the Victor Talking Machine Orchestra, and this mouthpiece likely came out toward the end of his time at Victor (based on my research so far).

But I have very few facts about this unique nod to Conrad's reknown as a tubist in the early 20th century. Conn had his "Hellegerg Model" mouthpiece, and, at least for a time, Holton appears to have had his "Conrad Model." Two giants of that era!

Please weigh in if you know anything about this mouthpiece. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Played an F. E. Olds 4-valve BBb in high school (late '70s)
Led the USC Trojan Marching Band tuba section (early '80s)
Now playing an F. Schmidt (=VMI) 3301 and goofing around
on a 1927 Pan American 64K Sousaphone Grand