vented valves Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: vented valves

Postby bloke » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:59 pm

bort wrote:Question: how much would it cost to get valves vented? Say, 5 rotary valves...?

factors:

- who's doing it
- rotor tolerances (crappy/worn-out rotors will probably work without even removing the burr :lol: )
- how wonky and difficult to remove/reinstall are the rotors and (if necessary to remove in particular cases) linkage
- how much of a nice guy is the customer
- how financially able-to-pay AND nice is the customer (i.e. perhaps "deserves a break")

If brave, you can try it yourself. I generally use these, because bit extensions are usually only about 4" long and tend to be cumbersome, whereas these are actually flexible.
https://drillsandcutters.com/1-16-x-12-hss-aircraft-extension-drill-bit-qualtech

bloke " 'Repair services' aren't hanging on a rack in Walmart...and this can occasionally be (ref: factors above) to the customer's advantage."
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Conn 2J CC » Sun May 14, 2017 4:34 pm

Pardon me for bringing this thread back up, but I've found myself wondering - was the idea of vented valves created by a particular person, or company (and whom was that)? And when were vented valves first used?

Thanks -
Dave
Low Brass musician and Bass Guitarist
Conn 2J CC
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Sun May 14, 2017 7:38 pm

I was doing it for trumpet players (#1 and #3, as they're constantly moving those slides) before I was doing it for tuba players.
bloke

Postby Art Hovey » Sun May 14, 2017 11:31 pm

I first vented a piston in 1961 just to prove that it would work, but did not learn that there was a name for the process until about 10 years later. Maybe other people had the same idea earlier.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Conn 2J CC » Mon May 15, 2017 12:51 pm

Art Hovey wrote:I first vented a piston in 1961 just to prove that it would work, but did not learn that there was a name for the process until about 10 years later. Maybe other people had the same idea earlier.

Okay Art, so this idea is at least as old as me (I was born in 1961). Finding out if this goes back even farther would be interesting.

Thanks -
Dave
Low Brass musician and Bass Guitarist
Conn 2J CC
bugler
bugler

Postby Lectron » Tue May 16, 2017 1:32 am

Love that pft! Sound from a vented rotor........ :tuba:
Melton 200 -=- Melton 2141 -=- Cerveny 883 Opera -=- MPCs: 3pcs steel (Sellmansberger/Parker)
Lectron
4 valves
4 valves

Postby tbonesullivan » Thu May 18, 2017 10:36 am

Are there any widely used designs for "internally vented" valves on tuba? A bunch of trombone valves have that type of setup.

I guess this is a dumb question, but why don't more makers vent their valves from the factory, considering how much slide pulling goes on? or would that mean admitting that there are intonation problems with their horns, which is a bad even though it's inherent to all non compensating horns.
tbonesullivan
bugler
bugler

Postby ken k » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:01 pm

so I just joined the Miraphone club with the purchase of a Norwegian Star Eb. I have been working with it for the past 3 weeks, and am experiencing what I believe bloke had described above. The compression in the valves is so strong that you have to blow against the little "pops." so it sounds like venting is the answer. I will have to get that done asap.

The compression is so tight that if you push in the valve tuning slide without pressing the valve, it will pop back out! Talk about your tight tolerances!

Love the horn, btw. I am playing it for the summer concert series with the Lancaster BBB. I love the sound, just a little more pointed and clearer artix than on my boosey which has a much fuller tone with the19" bell. Plus my neck and shoulder do not get sore and numb like with the Boosey. (I have two compressed discs in my neck, which I think are aggravated by the reach of my left arm to use the 4th valve, which is why I wanted to try a valves-in-front style tuba like the NS.) I think if the venting accomplishes what is described in this thread, I may end up selling my old Boosey and Hawkes after 32 years of wedded bliss.

also want to try the new Eastman Eb when it finally comes out.

kk
Miraphone Norwegian Stsar Eb tuba
B&H Imperial Eb tuba
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
1990 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
2001 Mazda Miata
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Postby ghmerrill » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:39 pm

bloke wrote: I generally use these, because bit extensions are usually only about 4" long and tend to be cumbersome, whereas these are actually flexible.
https://drillsandcutters.com/1-16-x-12-hss-aircraft-extension-drill-bit-qualtech

What a GREAT web site! Thanks.
Gary Merrill

Wessex EEb tuba (Wick 3XL)
Amati oval euph (DE LN106J6Es)
Mack Brass comp euph (DE LN106J9)
Buescher 1924 Eb, TU-17
Schiller bass trombone (DE LB/J/J9/Lexan 110, Brass Ark MV50R)
Olds '47 Standard trombone (Olds 3, and modified Kelly 12c)
ghmerrill
4 valves
4 valves

Previous

Return to TubeNet