vented valves Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

vented valves

Postby bloke » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:58 pm

I just picked up an F tuba like mine (4+2 configuration), but it's a new instrument with thicker metal / larger bell throat /larger bore sizes.

I've been t̶w̶e̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ←(hate that word :x ) picking over this new tuba and raising it up to "bloke standards". ' quite a few hours to address absolutely everything to make a tuba "not annoying to bloke". :| (I've really been enjoying the nicely-machined rotors and linkage. It's a pleasure to "t̶w̶e̶a̶k̶" things that are so easily "t̶w̶e̶a̶k̶e̶d̶".)

I have also been enjoying the 186-like sound quality of this instrument...not quite as clear and pretty a sound as the "Symphonie Modell", but rounder/bigger and (again) could-easily-pass-for-a-4/4-contrabass-tuba sound.

The very last thing (possibly)...
I had been noticing that "slurring" wasn't particularly easy (compared to my old B&S "Symphonie Modell"). I credited that to "larger bell" and "larger bore sizes"...even (possibly) considered passing this tuba on to someone else.

OK...(duh). I finally realized that none of the rotors were vented. I just vented all of them. slurring now: great

Vent your valves...NOW...or don't. 8)
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: vented valves

Postby Billy M. » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:40 pm

Tweak > twerk.

I digress. If I should go back to an all rotor instrument (I'm finding that I'm more inclined day by day but haven't found the right horn to trade for yet) I will definitely get all the valves vented.
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Miraphone 1291 CC
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bisontuba » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Last edited by bisontuba on Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Postby k001k47 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:51 pm

I find that venting - porting - affects feel more on piston valves; rotors not as much, but there is a "bump" sometimes after turning a rotor that's been at rest for some time. On rotary CC horns, at the very least, I like 1 vented, because I cant stand the pressurized "pop" when pulling a slide (I usually manage to move the slide before or after the slide circuit is active). I asked for 1st and 4th vented on a rotary horn I sent to bloke once, and got it back with all valves vented. I didn't complain because the vent holes were executed very well and it played better; whether that was due to venting or not, well, I'll let the tnfj decide :) . I enjoyed that horn immensely after bloke did stuff to it. I still miss it, but life happens.

Anyone here own that Meinl Weston 37 with all valves vented?
Last edited by k001k47 on Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bort » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:59 pm

My old Miraphone 188 had vented valves -- that tuba was REALLY easy to play and slur. Not sure how much the vented valves contributed to that, but I'm sure it didn't hurt. Out of all the stuff I've owned and sold, I probably miss that horn the most, but it was just the wrong tool, and I have an unfortunately small toolbox. :(
Willson 3050-RZ
Thein RCC
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby k001k47 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:01 pm

bort wrote:My old Miraphone 188 had vented valves -- that tuba was REALLY easy to play and slur. Not sure how much the vented valves contributed to that, but I'm sure it didn't hurt. Out of all the stuff I've owned and sold, I probably miss that horn the most, but it was just the wrong tool, and I have an unfortunately small toolbox. :(

I remember really wanting that horn when you sold it, and as with many horns I want, I couldn't get the money together in time.
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bort » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:07 pm

Well, it's in your state (yeah, I know, it's huge...). Maybe you will run across it sometime? :tuba:
Willson 3050-RZ
Thein RCC
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:19 pm

Perhaps (??) I'm a "weak" player (??), but the little "pop-pop-pop-pop" air changes slightly (...well...) "screw" with me when I'm trying to move smoothly from one pitch to the next. All of my other instruments are vented...
bloke

Postby bort » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:25 pm

Rotax, Joe. You need Rotax. :P

(Not serious, just being an asss!)
Willson 3050-RZ
Thein RCC
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:31 pm

bort wrote:Rotax, Joe. You need Rotax. :P

(Not serious, just being an asss!)

might be right !

...or I could superglue some fishin' weights into the each of the two ports of my existing rotors...
bloke

Postby bort » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:34 pm

bloke wrote:...or I could superglue some fishin' weights into the each of the two ports of my existing rotors...

might be right! :P
Willson 3050-RZ
Thein RCC
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby k001k47 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:14 pm

bloke wrote:Perhaps (??) I'm a "weak" player (??), but the little "pop-pop-pop-pop" air changes slightly (...well...) "screw" with me when I'm trying to move smoothly from one pitch to the next. All of my other instruments are vented...

Same with me, but it's more noticeable with low tolerance pistons, not to say it doesn't happen on rotors. Bob Rusk mentioned I had to replate before thinking about venting his prototype F tuba when I talked to him about it at ITEC Indiana, but I had it done anyway, because playing it in tune in an ensemble required a fair bit of trombone playing. Even with the rather high tolerance, the effects of venting were positive. I enjoyed and miss that horn a lot too. Shame Getzen never had a production run of them.
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Postby the elephant » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:04 am

I completely agree regarding vented valves and slurring. I much prefer my valves to be vented. Some horns seem to *need* this while some are not so bad. (Leaky anyway?) I have certainly never noted any sort of ill effects from venting.

Now head on over to Amazon and get your reward for a job well done...
In the multiverse there is a TubeNet where we talk about how we greased our cat with toothpaste and hot sauce so it would fly better in the rain. Even then someone would ask whether the cat was lacquered or silver plated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bloke » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:54 am

the elephant wrote:I completely agree regarding vented valves and slurring. I much prefer my valves to be vented. Some horns seem to *need* this while some are not so bad. (Leaky anyway?) I have certainly never noted any sort of ill effects from venting.

this.

the elephant wrote:Now head on over to Amazon and get your reward for a job well done...

perhaps later. :|

This thread is burned up...' nothing else to say, really, and since it's OK to go off topic,
I have a question for the administrators/monitors, etc...
Oktober is upon us...
Can we initiate a topic in "General Chatter" called "beer girls 2016", or does that need to go in the hidden/invite-only forum?
bloke

Postby Mark » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:40 pm

bloke wrote:Perhaps (??) I'm a "weak" player (??), but the little "pop-pop-pop-pop" air changes slightly (...well...) "screw" with me when I'm trying to move smoothly from one pitch to the next. All of my other instruments are vented...

Me too. Vent your valves!
Mark Wiseman
Mark
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Conn 2J CC » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:53 pm

Got 'em. Love 'em. Don't know how I ever lived without 'em. No, really, articulating and slurring on vented valves is so much easier for me - I highly recommend it.
Dave
Low Brass musician and Bass Guitarist
Conn 2J CC
bugler
bugler

Postby nworbekim » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:04 pm

the guy at miles ahead vented the valves on my 2341 and while i had read that it would make a difference, i was really surprised at how much it changed my horn. maybe it was psychological, maybe not... i think i play better now.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
nworbekim
4 valves
4 valves

Location: I bought a farm in southern Kentucky near Lake Cumberland

Postby ghmerrill » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:19 am

Question: Is there any difference in venting (piston) valves for a compensating horn? I'm thinking there isn't, but want to check in case there's something I'm not seeing about it.
Gary Merrill

Wessex EEb tuba (Wick 3XL)
Amati oval euph (DE LN106J6Es)
Mack Brass comp euph (DE LN106J9)
Buescher 1924 Eb, TU-17
Schiller bass trombone (DE LB/J/J9/Lexan 110, Brass Ark MV50R)
Olds '47 Standard trombone (Olds 3, and modified Kelly 12c)
ghmerrill
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bort » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:58 am

Question: how much would it cost to get valves vented? Say, 5 rotary valves...?
Willson 3050-RZ
Thein RCC
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Big Francis » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:57 pm

Dillon's website says $50/rotor or $150 for 4.
I'm pretty sure Eric Peterson would give you a quick quote and you won't have to leave Minneapolis.
Big Francis
bugler
bugler

Next

Return to TubeNet