Bubbie 5 - First Impressions

The bulk of the musical talk
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Bubbie 5 - First Impressions

Post by opus37 »

My Bubbie 5 just arrived. Here a few first impressions:
1. I did own a Bubbie 1 and sold it. I like the mini-tuba concept and am an Eb player, so I decided to try the new version. I'm happy I made the change. The new horn is much better made, the valves are quiet and fast.
2. These mini tubas have more back pressure than a full size tuba. The model 5 has much lower back pressure than the model 1. Mini-tubas have a trombone like sound. The model 5 is much more tuba sounding than the model 1. It is not like a full size tuba, but better than the model 1 by a long shot.
3. I used a Wedge SJ solo on the model 1, that is the best option for me with the model 5 too. I did try the Sellmansberger Imperial and Symphony with it. They work well too, and actually mellow the sound a bit more.
4. The switch from F to Eb is a bit complicate on the model 5. You have to unscrew and reattach the 5th valve arm and replace two slides. Not something you do on the fly like the model 1.
5. First impression is tuning in Eb is much better than the model 1. I haven't messed with the F configuration much so I don't have anything to say about that. I don't have specifics on what is off yet, I've only had it 2 days.
6. The mouthpiece receiver is a little large for a standard American shank mouthpiece. An American shank goes in about 3/8" more than it typically does on my regular horns. I adjusted the tuning slide out a little more and everything was fine.
7. The model 5 came with a neck strap that greatly helps holding the horn. (These horns are real small, and although light, they are hard to hold for a long time.) I can easily manipulate the 1st and 5th valve slides when I use the neck strap.

I use a mini tuba like this for practice, travel, in band practice in winter when the winter weather complicates carrying a larger horn, for 2nd french horn parts when the band needs that part, and in a small venue with a small group. For me they are fun.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Bubbie 5 - First Impressions

Post by Three Valves »

Thanks for the review.

I'm a fan of smaller tubas.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
sousaphone68
4 valves
4 valves

Post by sousaphone68 »

thanks for the quick review I too had a Bubbie 1 and sold it as I could not find a use for it in my musical life.
I am tempted to try another based on the improvements you noticed.
Will you up date the thread please after using it in band?
Cant carry a tune but I can carry a tuba.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

When I use it in a band or other performance, I'll add that to this post.

I have had it now for about 10 days. I use it for practice each day to get used to a travel tuba again. What I have additionally learned is the tone has improved over time. I think it has a nice sound. A bit brighter than a conventional tuba. Like the original version, it has taken a little time to get used to. The bell is close to your ear and you have get used to that. You blow a little harder and the tone improves. The original had noticeable back pressure changes as you add tubing (engage the valves). The new one is very even in that area. Tuning has also improved as I play it more. Again, as I get used to it. So far, I have only played it as an Eb tuba. I think Wessex has made some major improvements in this tuba.
Brian
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Wes Hardin
lurker
lurker

Post by Wes Hardin »

Are you using a practice mute with the tuba? If so, which one have you been using?

Thank You
Kalison Daryl Smith 4/4
Yamaha 822 F
Kurath 5/4 C
Nirschl 6/4 York
Mack F PT Clone
Mack 410 C 186 Clone
tubasaz
bugler
bugler

Post by tubasaz »

I have also had the 1.st version of the Bubbie tuba. But sold it. Still, I have an interest to get some practice tuba again on some day. Good to read your review about 2.nd version. Keep updating please! :)
Monzani BBb--Conn 20K--Benge 290--Soprano Sax
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

Wes Hardin wrote:Are you using a practice mute with the tuba? If so, which one have you been using?

Thank You
I used a Faxx French horn practice mute with the bubbie 1. I have not purchased a practice mute for the bubbie 5 yet. The bell looks to be the same internal diameter so I expect that will work.
Brian
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

The Bubbie 5 uses a different bell from the Bubbie 1. The 5 is nearer a baritone bell in size. We are developing new purpose mute to fit - will be out probably early next year.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

Wyvern wrote:The Bubbie 5 uses a different bell from the Bubbie 1. The 5 is nearer a baritone bell in size. We are developing new purpose mute to fit - will be out probably early next year.
I'll take this to mean that the Faxx french horn practice mute and the current mute for sale on the Wessex web site will not work on the Bubbie 5. I not in immediate need, so I'll wait and see what comes out.

I did take the Bubbie 5 to brass practice tonight. For the selections we were working on, I'm mostly playing euphonium (or trying to play euphonium). For the little I needed a tuba, I took the Bubbie because it was easy to carry along. It worked just fine. It sounded good in the church sanctuary. It was an acceptable to the group use of this horn. I don't think I'm ready to perform with it. For small group practice it was fine.
Brian
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

Brian, how would it be on moderate euph parts?
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

Bob Kolada wrote:Brian, how would it be on moderate euph parts?
That's hard for me to answer. I'm a better tuba player than euphonium player so it is easier for me to play the high range of an Eb tuba than a euphonium in general. As to sound, a good euphonium is more mellow than the Bubbie. The Bubbie 5 is more like a baritone sound. When I played in last night with the trombone next to me, we blended very nicely. The high range on the Bubbie is easy to play.
Brian
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

I just had a very prominent professional tuba player test my Bubbie 5. He enjoyed playing it calling it fun. His tone clarity from it was excellent. He sound was very tuba like and not trombonist. He did not get a chance to fully evaluate intonation and similar characteristics of the horn. In general he was impressed with the horn.
Brian
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
bone-a-phone
bugler
bugler

Post by bone-a-phone »

Digging up an old one here, for the sake of trying to keep related info together.

Does anyone have any follow up on long term viability of these instruments? Thinking about valve quality in particular.
Would it play the role of a contra bass trombone or cimbasso-ish instrument in a trombone ensemble?
Ergonomically, is it painful to play in any way?

I've got a shoulder injury, and I fear my doctor is about to lower the boom on my bass trombone playing. I'd like to have an alternative, and thinking of this more as an F bass bone than a tuba might work.