Willson 3400...

The bulk of the musical talk
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Willson 3400...

Post by bort »

Yeah! I'm a Willson believer, for sure. :)

What's this venting system?
Jay Bertolet
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Jay Bertolet »

Enjoy your new horn! You'll also get to appreciate the extremely high quality of build on these horns. They last! Mine is really a tank, very durable. I hope yours serves you as well as mine has served me.
My opinion for what it's worth...

Principal Tuba - Miami Symphony, Kravis Pops
Tuba/Euphonium Instructor - Florida International University,
Broward College, Miami Summer Music Festival
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

I always thought the 3400 Eb (piston) was a better tuba than the 3200 F (piston). I owned a 3200 for a couple years. The 3400 always seemed more solid overall.
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lee Stofer »

I do not know which model Joe Skillen had when I heard him play a recital on a Willson piston F some years back, but the sound was very impressive, just a great-sounding F-tuba.
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
Jess Haney
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jess Haney »

I love both of mine. My 3400 is awesome.
Brass Band Tacoma
Puget Brass
Willson BBb 3100 FA5
Willson Eb 3400 FA5

..and a miriad of other JUNK not worth mentioning.
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

I once owned a CC 3050 RZ-5. Honestly, it was one of the BST playing CC's I have ever played. Why did you sell it, you ask? That MoFo was HEAVY. At the time, I was in serious need of hip replacement surgery and I just could NOT get it onto the stage or (Dog Forbid) down into the pit. It came with a main slide tuning jigger that was awesome. It played incredibly well in tune, the Rotax valves were fast and smooth (albeit a bit heavy) and the sound was glorious. I think the reason you don't see a LOT of them is that they are simply too hard to find, see, play and acquire. I have played several of the F's as well and liked them all.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

tclements wrote:I think the reason you don't see a LOT of them is that they are simply too hard to find, see, play and acquire.
Plus, they are extremely expensive -- easily in the $20k club.

I've played and owned a lot of tubas, and the Willson is my favorite. The quality of the construction impresses me every time I pick it up. Thankfully I'm still young-ish and have a good back, so I'll put in my "good years" with this tuba. Maybe by the time it's too heavy for me, Willi will make a 4/4 rotary CC tuba. Yes, they have the model 4400 which is kind of like a CC version of the 3400, but I want a rotary version! :tuba: