Review of the Danube Eb 5v rotary tuba silver plated

The bulk of the musical talk
WagnerRing
bugler
bugler

Re: Review of the Danube Eb 5v rotary tuba silver plated

Post by WagnerRing »

I'd be interested to hear more details of your long-term experience with the Wessex Danube, now that you've had the horn for an extended period of time. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Last edited by WagnerRing on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Post by marccromme »

Hi Scott (WagnerRing)

In general my comments and observations from my first posting stand as spoken, this is how the instrument behaves.

I had a silver plated Danube from the first batch, build quality was in general good, but not perfect. Except for a larger area on the lower main bow, where the sheet metal was too soft and took dents too easily. Also two of the valves where too noisy for my taste.

I did complain about that, and got under Wessex excellent warranty service my horn swapped for a brand new one from the second build batch. This I call good customer service!!!!

The second batch did improve in silver finish, general build quality, and valve action, and there are no soft spots or noisy valves to be found any more. Length of valve slides seems to be adjusted a bit, I don't need to pull as much as before to suit the instruments intonation to my needs.

The new instrument has still slightly flat 5th partials, so I prefer to play g (upper staff) with 1+2, gb with 2+3 and f with 1+3 or 4 in slow, lyrical passages. The valve slides have better honing than before, but 4th and 3rd slide would need additional honing to be able to serve as friction-less trigger (they are easy accessible for the left hand from the backside of the instrument). This is an improvement I would like to have done soon.

I can't compare to the Miraphone Eb tubas, there are just not found on the shelf near Copenhagen, and as far as I know, there is nobody playing one here. But I can compare to the Meinl-Weston 2141 4 FA+1 rotary, I own a used one from 2009. The MW2141 is broader in sound, and has an easier low register than the Danube (but the Danube has a fine low register by its own, better than the 50 years old 4+1 compensated Besson I played before).

In addition, the MW2141 has the 5th partials almost in tune, which is not often found. On the other hand, it's easier to play fast and exact with the Danube's rotary valves than FA pistons. The MW2141 allows me to play larger mouthpieces like the Meinl-Weston 24AW or the DW ultra 3U, the Danube best likes the Yamaha Roger Bobo solo or the DW ultra 5U.

The MW2141 (44cm bell) is slightly better suited to Eb bass parts in traditional Brass Band literature (which can go pretty low), as would be a standard 4+1 Yamaha or Besson Sovereign 48 cm bell tuba, whereas the Danube (42cm) with a slightly brighter sound is perfect for community band, Big Band, smaller brass ensembles and quintets. And it is more compact to lug around in parades.

On the other hand, I did use the Danube for 6 month in Brass Band, the upper Eb bass part, and it worked fine, and was definitely an improvement over the old Besson I had borrowed before. So, if you are looking for one all-round Eb tuba for mixed playing, the Danube does fit the bill.

Now having a MW2141 (which I got by a sheer lucky strike used from a musician in the Danish Royal Guard two month ago) and a Danube, I think the tonal difference is not far enough apart to warrant keeping them both in the long term.

I might consider selling my Danube to buy a used and smaller Eb tuba, like a 38cm bell 18mm Starlight, if I can find one, or an Amati or something the like. Or an Eb helicon for parades, but have not decided yet.

Best, yours Marc Cromme
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs
WagnerRing
bugler
bugler

Post by WagnerRing »

Thank you Marc for your detailed reply. I appreciate it.
Last edited by WagnerRing on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

...and if you decide you do want to sell your horn...

...and you're in the US...

Hit me up 8)
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
Ulli
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ulli »

...if you want to sell your Danube and you are some day near Aachen or Köln, let me know your price idea.

Ulli