Prokofiev Symphony #5 Excerpt

The bulk of the musical talk
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: Excerpt books n' such

Post by Rick Denney »

Joshua Cutchin wrote:Jeff,
My first reaction was, "Why, Abe Torchinsky's 20th Century Excerpt Book." However, it is my belief that this particular volume in Abe's excerpt series is currently out-of-print (anyone to support this?).
You are correct. But it is also available in one of the regular volumes of the series--the volume that contains all the Prokofiev symphonies.

The Prokofiev volume was published by Jerona, but may be out of print as a result of the copyright deal the U.S. made with the Soviet Union some years ago.

http://www.musicassociatesofamerica.com ... erona.html

I've not seen these on shelves for a long time, so this is likely a dead end. But there may be some hiding in corners.

As far as I know, these two books are the only ones that include this part in its entirety.

It's not old enough to have lapsed into the public domain, so it's not on Gordon Cherry's CD.

Rick "who has both books but no, neither are for sale" Denney
JB
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JB »

I haven't checked online to see if still available, but -- back in the dark ages when I was a student -- I purchased the actual part (along with some others) from Robert King. (They used to be sold in collections of three -- five major works, and are the "real" parts; no copies, extracts or the like.)

Anyone know if this purhcase is still possible from R. King?
brianf
4 valves
4 valves

Post by brianf »

Prok #5 is not on the Cherry CD, there are none of his Symphonies on the CD. Abe Torchinsky had it in one of his books but it was discontinued a few years back since with the breakup of the Soviet Union it became protected under copyright protection again.
Brian Frederiksen
WindSong Press
PO Box 146
Gurnee, Illinois 60031
Phone 847 223-4586
http://www.windsongpress.com" target="_blank
brianf@windsongpress.com" target="_blank