Case or gig bag options for Conn 25J

The bulk of the musical talk
tubalux
bugler
bugler

Case or gig bag options for Conn 25J

Post by tubalux »

Hi Tubenet

I found myself a fabulous Conn 25J (like a 24J but with an upright bell). It's great and makes me sound better than I actually am. Winner. I believe I have the original wooden cases for it (separate cases for the detachable bell and the body). The cases are old, shabby, and I live in fear of them coming open as I carry it and spill my magical tuba all over the ground (probably on concrete).

It's also a bit heavy..although a fair bit of that weight is on the tuba itself.

Does anyone have tips for case alternatives, particularly for the body? A case alternative that involved some wheels wouldn't be the worst thing.

I'd happily consider gig bag options as well, but I'm not sure there are any big enough (humblebrag). Maybe one of the custom made Cronkhite ones would work.

I use a heap of pelican cases at work, so I'm currently thinking of trying to size one of them up to fit. Anyone ever tried something like that before? Something like this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... thout.html" target="_blank

would probably do the job for the body, then I could fix up the latches on the existing case for the bell. It probably wouldn't be much/any lighter than what I've currently got, but it would be more secure and wheeled...

I also like the fact the pelican cases comes with an "Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee of Excellence".

Any alternatives, ideas or suggestions welcomed. Thanks!