Will Wessex make a Besson 983 copy?

The bulk of the musical talk
LCTuba89
bugler
bugler

Will Wessex make a Besson 983 copy?

Post by LCTuba89 »

I know they make the Gnagey Eb, but I was hoping one day they would make a compensating front action horn like the 983. I really loved the Champion but I couldn't get a hang of the 4th valve being on the left hand. Is there a front action version of the Champion coming to us eventually Jonathan?
Melton 2155R 5/4 CC Tuba
Conn International Rotary 4/4 BBb Tuba
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Will Wessex make a Besson 983 copy?

Post by barry grrr-ero »

If Wessex decides they want to make a 983 copy, here's a suggestion from a former 983 owner. Try to lay the wrap in a way that would be a tad easier to get the left hand through the tuba for those times you want to play the fourth valve with your left hand. Sounds crazy, but it would be good for those times when you're using the 983 in a contra-bass role with lots of fast, low register notes. Obviously, this would be in sit-down situations, and with the bell pointed upwards (not 3-point stance). Just a thought.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

I'd be interested in one with a larger bell.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

I cannot say if Wessex will or will not make a front action compensated Eb. It is something I have been considering, but have not yet made decision and as we have a lot else in progress, it is not something that will likely happen before 2018 earliest.

If Wessex do, then I would be more inclined to base on an old British Hawkes cavalry tuba I have in my collection, rather than the Besson 983. I have recently done play comparison of Gnagey Eb, cavalry tuba and 983 and honestly the latter was my least favourite. The high register on both the others was better in tune (for me the 983 played flat above the staff).

I like the idea of 4th valve that can be operated with little finger on right hand, or by left hand as preferred. That was the idea with our Festivo euphonium, so if Wessex do go the front action compensated Eb route I will try to achieve that again.
Iainmac
lurker
lurker

Post by Iainmac »

Interesting comment regarding the left hand 4th valve. I got rid of the Yamaha with the right hand 4 th valve for a compensating Wessex with a left hand 4th. Similar in playing style to my Boosey euphonium. Guess it is what you get used to!
Michael Grant
bugler
bugler

Post by Michael Grant »

There is an Eastman front action compensating Eb for sale on this forum right now. Very good price. As an Wessex owner and having played the Eastman the quality is 10 times that of the Wessex (IMHO). Worth a look at least.
Michael Grant
Wessex HB24 BBb Helicon
King 2341
MKTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by MKTuba »

To the OP, wessex does make a front action Eb now, called the “Cavalry”. I have not played one, however it is likely on par with the rest of the wessex line up, and would be a decent tuba for a lower price than the other options on the market.
B&S 3198 (PT6P)
Wilson 3200s

BM Tuba Performance @ Michigan State
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

FYI, this is a 6 year old thread.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

That's OK - I have a seven year old brain.
Cthuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Cthuba »

Do they even sell the Calvary anymore? I don’t see it on the website.
Gnagey 4/4

That which is dead can eternal lie and with many strange aeons even tubas will fly
-A Misquote from HP Lovecraft.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

It's been discontinued in favor of the Tubby, the TE665.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone