Doug Yeo article - "team player"

The bulk of the musical talk
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Doug Yeo article - "team player"

Post by Ken Crawford »

Great article. But he didn't mention tuba players as part of the problem. Bring on the 7/4 tubas!
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

The world is going to hell now.

That was written in 1997!! :shock:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
largobone
bugler
bugler

Post by largobone »

:tuba: Everyone surrender your 6/4's and any mouthpiece larger than a 24AW
MM DePaul University
bass trombone, Evanston Symphony
trombone, Ohio Light Opera
tubapix
bugler
bugler

Post by tubapix »

Great article, thank you for posting it. Personally I think this applies quite well to community bands. In my band in particular we have 12-14 trombones in an 84 piece band. They can easily over power the entire band but they listen well and the blend, at times, is very nice.
1989 Yamaha YBB 641 (4R)
1938 King 1236 Symphony Eb (4P) w/Monster Bell
1927 Buescher Eb Tuba
1940 Pan American 58C Eb Alto Horn
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

This was a great article, I noticed at the end though he didn't tell us not to use large equipment, it was more an admonition not to abuse it. Just because you can peel the paint off the wall in the back of the auditorium doesn't mean you should. The Doug Yeo Signature Bass Bone mouthpiece is not a small mouthpiece, I think what he is advocating isn't necessarily downsizing your equipment (although he did advocate rethinking a desire to upsize from what you have now) but listening and blending and playing at appropriate volume levels for the piece you're playing in the context of the orchestra you're playing with. He seems to be saying the desire for larger equipment is a symptom of the problem, It's less an equipment issue and more about brass players needing to abandon the music as a competition attitude and begin playing as part of a cohesive team, with the conductor at the helm.
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

bloke wrote:
Radar wrote:This was a great article, I noticed at the end though he didn't tell us not to use large equipment, it was more an admonition not to abuse it.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that his tuba-playing section-mate at that time was told by the music director at that time that he was to play a York-copy tuba. (A percussionist being told to play this-or-that make/model of bass drum/cymbals/timpani is one thing, but a wind instrumentalist being told which make/model of instrument to play...!?!?) This is information that I have received second/third hand. I'm willing to stand corrected.

Is a fine Alexander tuba - across the board - capable of making a "better" sound than a Swiss copy of an American 6/4-size tuba...??
Across the board, yes...yes, it is.
Are the Swiss-copy 6/4 tuning issues - that must be addressed - any less severe than those of a vintage (5/4-ish) Alexander...??
No...no, they are not. :|
I heard the same story about said player and said conductor. However, Mr. Yeo does make this argument in the article:

"Large equipment in itself is not the problem. There are many great instruments out there and there is certainly one that will fit each player "just right." Play what you want. Play what works for you. BUT. . . ."

I get the feeling since mentioned tuba player was indeed a "team player" that characteristic of sound changed more than volume for him. It was still him, but not that Alex sound that so many of us love (and prefer :: clears throat :: )from his earlier recordings.
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

Mr Pokorny wrote:

"When I was in high school in the early 1970's, I was taught a very important concept of balance from Benton Minor in California. The pyramid concept basically says that the highest voices in any ensemble should be supported slightly stronger and at least as reliably (in tune, rhythmically accurate, etc) by the immediate voices below. Those voices should be supported slightly stronger and more reliably yet by the voicesbelow them, etc, until you reach the bottom voices which are the strongest and most reliable. This does not mean that the tuba players should be playing loud all the time. What it does mean is that tuba players should be most responsible for dynamic contrasts and reliable intonation. This particular concept is not unknown in the band world (W. Francis McBeth) or in the orchestral world (George Szell). Part of the problem with balance is when the voices at the very top of this "food chain" are playing way too loud. Although it is easy to play in a unified way since everybody can hear the "Tyrannosaurus Treble Tyrants" on the top, the pyramid concept of balance is in shambles."

It is interesting in this connection that the most revered, celebrated, and well known orchestral trumpet player, Bud Herseth, was also an extremely loud player and known as the player who essentially took ultra-loud trumpet playing mainstream (although he could do much more than that obviously).
southtubist
bugler
bugler

Post by southtubist »

Should be required reading for all musicians.
MW 45k
Alexander 163CC 5v
Conn 72h, 1G
King 2280
Used to own: MW20 BBb(super old model) 1915 Conn Grand Orchestral BBb, small valve MW 2145
Used to borrow: Miraphone 190 CC, from IAA
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

In 1984 I was a volunteer student chauffeur for Philip Jones when his brass ensemble stayed a day or two at BGSU. He spoke about the London Symphony going overboard with volume, said it was an long time problem. He blamed the recording process. The playback systems in studios were, according to him, blaring at the conductors between takes, and then there would be a subsequent take where the conductor would try to coax a sound equal to the amplifiers in the control booth.
MORE AIR