Nirschl Bb Kaiser

The bulk of the musical talk
apkujala
bugler
bugler

Nirschl Bb Kaiser

Post by apkujala »

Howdy!

I'm trying to find someone who has or has tried the Nirschl Kaiser Bb tuba. _The_ Nirschl Kaiser if you know what I mean. I can accept all sorts of info about the instrument even if neighbours cats cousin has heard someone talk about it is good.

I know about the history of it and am interested about the quality compared to 197 for example.

A-P
apkujala
bugler
bugler

Re: Nirschl Bb Kaiser

Post by apkujala »

Guess I have to go try it myself then, next week!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

apkujala wrote:Guess I have to go try it myself then, next week!
My guess is that if you already know where to go to try one, you're pretty far ahead of most people already!

The only thing I know about it is that there's a picture floating around here somewhere, that shows this is a VERY tall tuba. All around it's large, but I remember being surprised by how very tall it is.
apkujala
bugler
bugler

Post by apkujala »

I was actually trying to figure out if its even worth to go try it. Talked with the current owner who of course praised the tuba to heavens.
Tuba is basically Nirschl version of 197 and thats what I am comparing it to. Price range is also similar so in worst case scenario I have to settle with 197 which is cheaper and damn good tuba too.

Have a lot of excess time in my Munich trip so most likely I will be writing quite fresh feelings about the instrument.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I know absolutely nothing about these horns but an very interested in this post. I am a BIG fan of the OLD Nirschl tubas that were made in the Bohm & Meinl factory. Is this one comparable to those horns? .... or is it a modern version of Nirschl tubas that have been made in other parts of The World?
Last edited by Dan Schultz on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
apkujala
bugler
bugler

Post by apkujala »

This is the tuba that was made to mr. Hilgers by Nirschl. It's the only Kaiser he ever made (at the moment).
He had his touch on Puttkamers Bohland&Fuchs when it was re-made but it was done at Melton.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

I did discuss with Herr Nirschl several years ago about buying one of these Kaiser (before I had even started Wessex Tubas) and was offered one at reasonable price - but as I was happy with my Neptune never proceeded.

What I do remember is the bell is larger diameter than the MW 197 version. It is based on another one of the B&M Kaiser found I believe in Vienna.

I do love the sound of the 197 when I have heard played in German orchestras.
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

Here is the front view of Nirschl BBb Kaiser tuba next to a Nirschl-York CC:
Nirschl BBb and CC1.jpg
Here's a rear view of the same horns:
Nirschl B&F with N-Y rear.jpg
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
apkujala
bugler
bugler

Post by apkujala »

Can't wait!
apkujala
bugler
bugler

Post by apkujala »

Ok!

Today I had some time with this amazing piece of instrument. Strange time it was.
First when I saw the monster I was suprised about the size. I have played 197/2 also so it shouldn't be anything different and it really isn't apart from the bell. Bell size propably was the one that made it look more scary than I expected. Of course the bell is normal (around 50cm/19.68inch) big bell and nothing like Rudy 6/4.

First impression was that it might be bit too big for me which luckily changed after some time I spent with it. Also realised I had only played F tuba for couple weeks before this trip, which might be one reason for slightly difficult start. Sound was big as expected. Had some problems with tuning but that also got better with time. Quite fun to play this one.

I will meet it tomorrow and try to put some make-up to be able to take pics with it. Also hopefully I can get some disturbing video/audio with it. Should have 197 comparation tomorrow too.

Could actually do some tests you ppl want to suggest, or just ask mr. Nirschl some questions which I propably forgot/forget to ask...

AP
Mike-Johnson-Custom
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike-Johnson-Custom »

Looks amazing!
Walter's instruments are true works of art!
Only thing that looks a bit odd is how short the 4th valve slide is. Looks too short for getting a B natural bang on. especially at 440.
Mike Johnson Custom
http://m-j-c.co.uk
phone:
+44 161 298 5838
apkujala
bugler
bugler

Post by apkujala »

Tuba now has 5th valve so at least now its not a problem and if I have understood right, the B natural is often played as fake note with 4 valve Bb's.. Dunno..
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

Since the 5th valve has been added on after the tuba was originally built (which may or may not make a difference), did you sense any stuffiness (especially when using the 5th valve with various combinations of fingering)?

You mentioned that the bell of the Nirschl is wider than the 197. What is the height of each horn?

Thanks.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
apkujala
bugler
bugler

Post by apkujala »

I think I have seen somewhere that Nirschl would be 113cm and 197/2 is 114cm. Think its quite accurate.

The 5th did add a bit of resistance to the notes but only to the notes that has more valves pressed. As it of course replaces the 2nd on some tones then the 2nd isnt pressed... so often it is anyway max 4 valves used...
apkujala
bugler
bugler

Post by apkujala »

Hey all!

Testing done but I have been quite busy with other stuff. Videos about the trials are too horrible to watch but as much I want to see things like this I know there are others who do too.

This is somewhat ok example of the tuba
https://youtu.be/GRTTCjEEGks" target="_blank" target="_blank

oh yea, extremely high sound quality is due to phone recording which is very clever choice
apkujala
bugler
bugler

Post by apkujala »

HA! I have an update on the topic.

My own new Nirschl Kaiser is supposed to be at my hands in about 9-13hrs!!

For sure I will be posting pictures and first impressions. Had some small tuning (and silvering) done to it since my last testing and I'm so excited to get my hands on it.
apkujala
bugler
bugler

Post by apkujala »

Kind of necromancy it seems, can't remember if I made some reasonable post about this topic BUT: Finally have something not totally sucky action with the instrument! Yay!
Just hope it isn't the last Bruckner this instrument plays!

Anyway, Helsinki Phil Bruckner 9 with maestro Noseda.
https://youtu.be/bvwi5McdNPA?t=5790" target="_blank