Opinions on the Big Mouth Brass and Eastman BBb tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
mwlorrison893
bugler
bugler

Opinions on the Big Mouth Brass and Eastman BBb tubas

Post by mwlorrison893 »

What's everyone's thoughts and impressions with the big mouth brass and Eastman BBb tubas? I'm possibly looking in the market for a good all around BBb. One I can play in small groups to a larger brass band.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Opinions on the Big Mouth Brass and Eastman BBb tubas

Post by Art Hovey »

I have not tried the Eastman, but I highly recommend the BMB 4/4 BBb tuba. It is well-built, has great intonation, and easy-blowing.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

I haven't played or touched an eastman, but I play a BMB 764 everyday. I've seen many Chinese tubas, in terms of construction quality they are top notch, best I've seen. I also love playing it, great sound and intonation. I had a BMB f and it was also constructed very well so I'm confident that that holds true across the lineup. I'd buy a 4/4 or even the 3/4 bmb BBb in a heartbeat of I needed such an instrument.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

The 3/4 BBb BMB is good except for G and Gb below the staff. I have one and I use it when I want a nice-looking small tuba, but those notes require extra effort and might not work at all for a less-experienced player. The 4/4 model does not have those problems.
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

I owned the 4/4 BMB CC. It was a solid tuba, nice centered sound, well built with excellent pitch. I only sold it because I came across a 1292 that I liked better, that was also a good deal. I still own a BMB F and I've recently begun playing it again in a brass quintet. It is also a solid horn. I did bring it in to a respected repair tech when I bought it just to see what he thought. One valve was just slightly out of alignment, which he fixed. One tuning slide was also out of alignment , which he also fixed. I had him chem clean it too and he said it was pretty clean, as a new tuba should be. He had never seen a tuba coming from China that he thought, in his opinion, was so well built and designed. I highly recommend these tubas. I haven't played any of the BBb's or Eb. I also liked the 6/4 CC, but I wouldn't need it and my back wouldn't like it. I still would love to ply the 3/4 CC. I haven't come across that tuba anywhere yet.
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

I think you'd like the 3/4 C Bill, it's a very punchy, lively horn. I didn't much care for the 6/4 C.
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Hi Bob. But, I never see the 3/4 at any conference I attend. I would hope that it gives me a slightly bigger sound than my 621 CC.
mwlorrison893
bugler
bugler

Post by mwlorrison893 »

Thanks guys, I was really hoping to find info out on BBb tubas but I'm sure its about the same across the board... or not. lol
thejester10276
bugler
bugler

Post by thejester10276 »

When I went to Dillons I really enjoyed playing the eastman 534; it has a very present and lively sound with very good intonation, along with very consistent playing and tonality across the registers. It's an instrument that needs not to be pushed to produce a warm, full round sound. It seems like a pretty versatile horn to me.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

mwlorrison893 wrote:Thanks guys, I was really hoping to find info out on BBb tubas but I'm sure its about the same across the board... or not. lol

You got 3 opinions on BBb tubas, what more do you want?
LCTuba89
bugler
bugler

Post by LCTuba89 »

I've never played the Eastman BBb but I own the BMB 6/4 BBb. The richest, darkest sound I've ever heard out of a piston tuba but it can burn if you want it to. I can support an entire band by myself without wearing myself out, highly efficient. Intonation is very solid on the 6/4 so I imagine the smaller horns are amazing as well. It's braced real well and it's pretty durable. I've not played the 3/4 or 4/4 horns, but I imagine they are of the same quality. Do try before you buy one especially the 6/4. It's size might put you off in the ergonomics department if you're not used to playing larger tubas.
Melton 2155R 5/4 CC Tuba
Conn International Rotary 4/4 BBb Tuba
LCTuba89
bugler
bugler

Post by LCTuba89 »

58mark wrote:The Eastman EBB534 is a good horn. Of course similar to a king 2341, but maybe better? I like the valves better for sure
I would like to try that horn eventually, it seems like people love it. If it's better than a King 2341 that says a lot considering Kings are already excellent horns.
Melton 2155R 5/4 CC Tuba
Conn International Rotary 4/4 BBb Tuba
Rebel
bugler
bugler

Post by Rebel »

I played two of the Eastman tubas at the Tuba Workshop at Ft. Myer and liked them both. One was a 3/4 size and the other was more of a Yamaha YBB-641 or Miraphone 186 clone. I have a Yamaha YBB-631 in WV if interested. PM me.
1990 Yamaha YBB-631 4/4 BBb Compensating Tuba
1995 Yamaha YEP-201 Euphonium
Conn 605 Trombone
Fretted and Fretless 5 String Electric Bass
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

On the Dillon site, there's a picture of an Eastman horn that looks very much like the big B&S BBb GR51.
Last edited by GC on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

If size, $$ and number of valves didn't matter, I played and liked the EBB623

http://www.eastmanwinds.com/tubas" target="_blank

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Slamson
bugler
bugler

Post by Slamson »

I've played a couple of Eastman B-flats (even though I'm no longer in B-flat mode...) and like them. Not bulbous, hulking piles of brass. Nice feel to the valves. Responsive. Good low register. Upper register's about as steady as a B-flat gets.

All that said, I'm just a little nervous about the condition of the valves over a long period of time (or consistent playing). They just feel... fragile.
sorry, I don't do signatures.