Best Tuba Mobile?

The bulk of the musical talk
Polkahero
bugler
bugler

Best Tuba Mobile?

Post by Polkahero »

I'm in the market for a new vehicle. Just wondering what you guys drive to haul your instruments in. I've always owned large four door sedans but I'm considering going to a compact SUV if it's easier to load/unload for transport. Trying to keep the gas mileage respectable (at least or over 20 mpg combined). Thanks for suggestions!
1967 Mirafone 186 BBb
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Best Tuba Mobile?

Post by Ken Crawford »

Price range?
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

I'd suggest you take a look at the Honda CRV. They're pretty roomy but also get good mileage.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
Ulli
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ulli »

For tuba and upright string bass I use

Citroen C5 III Tourer (X7) with soft pending hydropneumatic spring systeme.

Uli
NCSUSousa
3 valves
3 valves

Post by NCSUSousa »

Polkahero - Your question is missing a few important points:
1 - Budget (range)?
2 - Can you fold the rear seat flat (or just put the tuba in the rear seat), or do you need that space for someone/something else?
3 - New - is that 'new to you' or 2016/2017 model year new from the dealer?
4 - What do you consider a 'SUV', or why a 'small' SUV?

Most of the small SUVs I've tried (when riding with friends) require folding a back seat down to accommodate my (hard) tuba case. They're not wide enough to put the case horizontally in the trunk area and not deep enough to put it in longitudinally. If you find different when you try things out, please post back here to let us know what you try that works in that department.

Understanding that you're asking about small SUVs for ease of use, I'll mention this one -
My dad is driving a new (2015 I think) Chevy full size truck with the V6 engine. It has 4 doors (seats 4 adults), room for more than 2 tubas in the back.
It gets over 30mpg on regular gas on mostly highway driving. It's not 'small', but it otherwise does what you asked in your original question and is pretty comparable to an SUV with the lid on the bed to make that a weatherproof space. He has a cut piece of lumber that fits in a slot in the bed of the truck - it helps keep everything in the rear, near the tailgate for easy access. His lid is lockable too.

You mention that you currently drive a large car. I do the same now.
For now, I'm driving a (new to me) 2003 Ford Crown Vic getting about 20mpg combined on regular gas. It gets closer to 22mpg on the highway. The trunk on that car is HUGE. Last Friday, I had the tuba (in hard case), folding tuba stand, folding chair and a regular music stand (not travel type) along with my wife's trumpet case and my laptop bag. All of that without removing the spare tire or my roadside kit. The rear seat doesn't fold on this car. I think the trunk on this car is pretty easy to deal with. As with the full size truck above - it's not a small SUV, but it otherwise does what you ask (easy access, good mpg) without compromising the back seat and it should come in well under budget (if you can find one in your area that isn't rusted through).
BBb Tuba with 4 Rotors -
TE-2110 (2009) + TE Rose
Mack 210 (2011) + Bruno Tilz NEA 310 M0
G. Schneider (Made in GDR, 1981?) + Conn Helleberg 120S
I earn my living as an Electrical Engineer - Designing Power systems for buildings
Dubby
bugler
bugler

Post by Dubby »

I have a Kia Soul that gets between 25 and 30MPG. I can fit two tubas in hard cases, two bass bones, a euphonium, and some backpacks in it with folding down the rear seats. Quite roomy in the front as well.
Polkahero
bugler
bugler

Post by Polkahero »

NCSUSousa wrote:Polkahero - Your question is missing a few important points:
1 - Budget (range)?
2 - Can you fold the rear seat flat (or just put the tuba in the rear seat), or do you need that space for someone/something else?
3 - New - is that 'new to you' or 2016/2017 model year new from the dealer?
4 - What do you consider a 'SUV', or why a 'small' SUV?

Most of the small SUVs I've tried (when riding with friends) require folding a back seat down to accommodate my (hard) tuba case. They're not wide enough to put the case horizontally in the trunk area and not deep enough to put it in longitudinally. If you find different when you try things out, please post back here to let us know what you try that works in that department.

Understanding that you're asking about small SUVs for ease of use, I'll mention this one -
My dad is driving a new (2015 I think) Chevy full size truck with the V6 engine. It has 4 doors (seats 4 adults), room for more than 2 tubas in the back.
It gets over 30mpg on regular gas on mostly highway driving. It's not 'small', but it otherwise does what you asked in your original question and is pretty comparable to an SUV with the lid on the bed to make that a weatherproof space. He has a cut piece of lumber that fits in a slot in the bed of the truck - it helps keep everything in the rear, near the tailgate for easy access. His lid is lockable too.

You mention that you currently drive a large car. I do the same now.
For now, I'm driving a (new to me) 2003 Ford Crown Vic getting about 20mpg combined on regular gas. It gets closer to 22mpg on the highway. The trunk on that car is HUGE. Last Friday, I had the tuba (in hard case), folding tuba stand, folding chair and a regular music stand (not travel type) along with my wife's trumpet case and my laptop bag. All of that without removing the spare tire or my roadside kit. The rear seat doesn't fold on this car. I think the trunk on this car is pretty easy to deal with. As with the full size truck above - it's not a small SUV, but it otherwise does what you ask (easy access, good mpg) without compromising the back seat and it should come in well under budget (if you can find one in your area that isn't rusted through).
Thanks for the detailed response! Here's some answers:

1) My upper limit is around $15k
2) Probably could fold the rear seat flat as long as I can fit my tuba in hard case, tuba stand, and sometimes bass amp in the storage area
3) I'm looking at used vehicles, not taking the depreciation hit on a brand new one nor do I plan to finance
4) I would consider the Chevy Traverse a regular SUV and the Chevy Equinox a small SUV

Not really interested in a truck mainly because of the high lift height. Wow, you could fit all of those items just in the trunk? I've never used the trunk for my tuba case, always easier to place it in on the rear seat. That's why I'm leaning towards another large 4-door sedan particularly a Buick Lucerne. Unfortunately they only made them until 2011 when it became the LaCrosse and the space wasn't there anymore.
1967 Mirafone 186 BBb
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

Dodge Dakota quad cab with topper. Usually haul everything in the cab but can put in the bed if I have passengers.
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ckalaher1 »

I bought a new GTI last spring, which is my second one in my driving life. Go now while VW is still sticking with their "apology tour" pricing. Mine ended up @$5500 under invoice. Diesel-gate is killing them in North America. They are desperate.

Holds my CC, F, groceries, and me and my wife at the same time, which is enough for me. Fun, really fast (although the governor limits the top speed to 129 MPH in North America, or so I'm told), with enough cubic footage (the cab actually has more room than my Forester did) to have plenty of utility. Gets around 35/25, but it does require premium. Just be sure to have it serviced by somebody who knows what they are doing at scheduled intervals. It's my 2nd GTI and 3rd VW.
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Post by oedipoes »

My Honda Jazz takes the Rudi 4/4 inside the gig bag in the trunk, without folding rear seats.
Same thing for a Conn 36K sousaphone, goes into the trunk, no need for folding rear seats.
With folded rear seats (magic seats fold into the floor to make a completely flat bottom) it can take at least 3 large tubas in the hard case or 4 in gig bag, with spare room for other stuff.

Love these little Hondas...
DSC_0004.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vespa50sp
bugler
bugler

Post by vespa50sp »

Any hatchback where you can fold down the rear seats.
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Dubby wrote:I have a Kia Soul that gets between 25 and 30MPG. I can fit two tubas in hard cases, two bass bones, a euphonium, and some backpacks in it with folding down the rear seats. Quite roomy in the front as well.
What Dubby said.
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
michael_glenn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by michael_glenn »

I drive a 2003 Honda Element. It can comfortably haul two tubas, bass trombone, and euph with still having three seats including driver. I get around 20-25 mpg depending on how much city driving I'm doing. Also, I'm currently at 231,000 miles and it is still running like a tank.

Also, when I had my hirsbrunner, I could squeeze my two tubas in the back and maintain all 4 seats rather than cutting it to three. Since my PT-6 is larger, I can't quite squeeze both it and my firebird in the back without putting up a seat.

My parents have a 2014 Camry. I could fit my HB-2 and firebird in the trunk. Nothing else, but two tubas in the trunk, which is impressive. That car usually gets around 28-35 mpg depending on city/highway. However, now that I have my PT-6, if I borrow their car I have to put the CC in the trunk and my F in the back seat.
Michael Ebie
PhD Music Theory (in progress) — University of Cincinnati CCM
MM Music Theory — Michigan State University
MM Tuba Performance — Michigan State University
BM Brass Performance — University of Akron
Polkahero
bugler
bugler

Post by Polkahero »

Does anyone drive American vehicles anymore? BTW, I purchased a 2011 Buick Lucerne with only 25,000 miles on it. Trunk space is about the same as my old LeSabre. Plenty of room in the back seat for my Mirafone 191 with hard case.
1967 Mirafone 186 BBb
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigtubby »

The least glamourous wheeled vehicle in the known universe works well for me - Dodge Grand Caravan/Chrysler Town and Country.

My 2006 T&C gets around 20mpg daily driving and 23 on the open road. My brother bought a newer (2015 IIRC) T&C so that he could haul his penny farthing bicycles inside the vehicle. He claims 27mpg - 30mpg with his.

The group I play with is a three piece, sometimes four and everyone is multi-instrumental. With the three piece I can haul horn(s), three guitars, mandolin, fiddles, clarinet, etc. plus a P.A. system relatively comfortably. When a four piece we usually use two vehicles.

This is my fourth Dodge/Chrysler van and I have been very pleased: they are comfortable for long trips, pretty maintenance free and when they do break are generally cheap to fix (especially compared to the Volvos that a couple of my bandmates drive).

Oh yeah, and on the newer ones (post 2005 I think) the seats fold down into the floor, making them quite flexible seating/hauling-wise.
American sailboats, airplanes, banjos, guitars and flutes ...
Italian motorcycles and cars ...
German cameras and tubas ...
Life is Good.
ArnoldGottlieb
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ArnoldGottlieb »

I'm pretty happy with my 2004 Volvo V70. I get 22 mpg, but I live in an area where I don't drive very far, and gas is cheap. It fits a tuba, an upright and an electric, and has a very low rear end for lifting things. I also play music in an area filled with young people who are drinking and partying, and it's a car I paid cash for that owes me nothing, so when it's gets keyed or scratched or backed into I really don't care. I hope to never get into an accident, but lately the drivers on the road seem to be worse and for that reason I don't own a small toyota anymore. Recently, I was rear ended coming off of a highway, and the small car that hit me folded and I don't think I had any damage at all. Tonight for new years eve, I'll be taking an electric bass in our F150 for all of the same reasons above, plus the fact that my town occasionally floods, and rain is predicted for tonight and sometimes the volvo is a little low for the water.
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Post by David Richoux »

oedipoes wrote:My Honda Jazz takes the Rudi 4/4 inside the gig bag in the trunk, without folding rear seats.
Same thing for a Conn 36K sousaphone, goes into the trunk, no need for folding rear seats.
With folded rear seats (magic seats fold into the floor to make a completely flat bottom) it can take at least 3 large tubas in the hard case or 4 in gig bag, with spare room for other stuff.

Love these little Hondas...
DSC_0004.jpeg
They are called "Fit" in the USA (but I bought a "Jazz" logo for mine!) Lots of room for a subcompact and a true fold flat floor is really useful. I had mine for about 5 years but always was not really happy with the driving position on long trips (I'm 6' 4") - traded up to a Subaru Outback for a better position, not as good parking or milage. Honda switched to a CVT a few years ago, some owners are not happy about that.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

2002 VW Passat Wagon v6 142k miles. Drove it to work today. :(

I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

bigtubby wrote:The least glamourous wheeled vehicle in the known universe works well for me - Dodge Grand Caravan/Chrysler Town and Country.

My 2006 T&C gets around 20mpg daily driving and 23 on the open road. My brother bought a newer (2015 IIRC) T&C so that he could haul his penny farthing bicycles inside the vehicle. He claims 27mpg - 30mpg with his.

The group I play with is a three piece, sometimes four and everyone is multi-instrumental. With the three piece I can haul horn(s), three guitars, mandolin, fiddles, clarinet, etc. plus a P.A. system relatively comfortably. When a four piece we usually use two vehicles.

This is my fourth Dodge/Chrysler van and I have been very pleased: they are comfortable for long trips, pretty maintenance free and when they do break are generally cheap to fix (especially compared to the Volvos that a couple of my bandmates drive).

Oh yeah, and on the newer ones (post 2005 I think) the seats fold down into the floor, making them quite flexible seating/hauling-wise.
+1! My idea of the perfect ride does not run to minivans, but I have to admit that the Caravan is perfect for what I do. I can haul lots of stuff and passengers, too.
I have also had a lot of experience with Yukon XL's. They are higher, but a terrific ride with a lot of capacity. The gas mileage though is not nearly as good as the minivan.
Bearin' up!
LowBrassNYC
bugler
bugler

Post by LowBrassNYC »

Does anyone know if a a BAT (in a gigbag) can fit in the trunk of a Chrysler 300?
Ryan Fisk
———
Meinl Weston 2250TL, 6460, 6450/2