Best Tuba Mobile?

The bulk of the musical talk
LowBrassNYC
bugler
bugler

Re: Best Tuba Mobile?

Post by LowBrassNYC »

Does anyone know if a a BAT (in a gigbag) can fit in the trunk of a Chrysler 300?
Ryan Fisk
———
Meinl Weston 2250TL, 6460, 6450/2
southtubist
bugler
bugler

Post by southtubist »

Not really a dedicated tuba mobile as it's my only vehicle, but. . .

I drive a 2005 GMC Sierra crew cab- basically a Chevy 1500. It's got a 5.3L Vortec with an Allison transmission. It wasn't selected really for tuba hauling, but I can fit two in the back seat and one in the passenger seat. I'm at about 155,000 miles and I've had no trouble other than replacing a wheel bearing and a starter.

I get 14mpg on the highway, which is pretty terrible. I just completed a 2000 mile road trip. I was very comfortable (good seats, nice radio), but my wallet hated me. We had a boat that weighed in excess of 5000 pounds that we had to get up an ~ 20% grade gravel driveway. It worked in 4 high (and with standard tires), but it was scary at times. I've pulled larger vehicles out of mud, one being a forklift that was probably 4-5 tons.

If I had a lot of cash to play with, I'd find a junky old 80's-90's Suburban and gut it. I'd paint it nondescript .gov black (or white) and tint the windows. I'd stuff a Chevy 572 (700+ hp) under the hood, with a 4L85E, and some type of transfer case that can handle the power. I'd like to have an extra large fuel tank installed, with an auxiliary tank for race gas. Put upgraded oil/transmission coolers and a bigger radiator in. Definitely install brush guard and winch, possibly upgraded rear bumper. I don't think I'd add a lift kit, but if I did it would be minimal- don't want to sacrifice high speed performance too much. Probably run-flat tires and maybe armor, but that gets expensive/heavy. The idea is to have a generic looking SUV that can go very fast if necessary and still have usable off road performance. I could also stuff some tubas in the back. . .
MW 45k
Alexander 163CC 5v
Conn 72h, 1G
King 2280
Used to own: MW20 BBb(super old model) 1915 Conn Grand Orchestral BBb, small valve MW 2145
Used to borrow: Miraphone 190 CC, from IAA
alfredr
3 valves
3 valves

Post by alfredr »

For when you are running late for your gig in the middle of absolutely nowhere?

I like it.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

A Prius V (wagon) is probably the most economical vehicles on the road in the world that can fit our large instruments and plenty of them inside. They get 45 mpg minimum in the city and as high as 50 mpg on the highway and are super low maintenance. No drive belt system, no transmission that can wear out, just planetary gears that work off the electric motors to power the wheels. There are custom shops nowadays that replace hybrid traction batteries for 1/4 of the cost of dealerships (like $800 for a Prius battery, not $4,000 the dealer may charge you) and they are good for at least a couple hundred thousand miles. CARB states like California for instance have a mandatory dealer warranty of 10 years/150,000 miles on them as well. You don't even have to be a tree hugger, just want to see savings, but I recommend buying one a couple years old at least (let the original owner take the biggest depreciation hit on blue book value).

Other than the Prius, the new Honda HR-V is another good choice with it's 35+ MPG highway and plenty of cargo storage if you don't want the larger CR-V.
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tylerferris1213 »

My Ford Fiesta hatchback will comfortably hold 4 tubas in gig bags plus a passenger, and it averages 39 mpg. I have no complaints!
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Contrabass FF
peterbas
bugler
bugler

Post by peterbas »

deleted