Post by scottw »

Bearin' up!
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Rosenkavalier →suite← tuba part

Post by thevillagetuba »

Here's the correct link:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Der_Rosenkavalier ... ,_Richard)

No parts here, just the score.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
ppalan
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ppalan »

Hi Bloke,
I got the same thing when I clicked the link. However, if you go to the top of the page and click on "Scores" then "Composers", go through the regular selection process, you will eventually get to the actual complete score for the Suite. I think the result you got has to do with the site's new procedures that involve seeking donations. Here's the link that I copied that got me to the page;http://imslp.org/wiki/Der_Rosenkavalier ... ,_Richard)Hope this helps.
Pete
ppalan
Mirafone186 CC 4v
Yamaha Eb 321
Wessex "Berg" F
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

Ah, the difference between a few legato marks and some breath marks! sorry for the confusion. It as Pete says: Scores, Composer: Strauss
Bearin' up!
MusikFind
bugler
bugler

Post by MusikFind »

The “Standard” 1945 suite is under copyright and on rental from Boosey & Hawkes, NY.

From Daniels' Orchestral Music Online https://daniels-orchestral.com/about/membership-levels/" target="_blank

Strauss, Richard 1864-1949
(b Munich, 11 June 1864; d Garmisch-Partenkirchen, 8 Sept 1949). German
Der Rosenkavalier, TrV 227d, op.59: Suite [1945]
22'
3[1.2.3/pic] 3[1.2.3/Eh] 4[1.2.3/Ebcl.bcl] 3[1.2.3/cbn] — 4 3 3 1 — tmp+5 — 1 or 2hp — cel — str
perc: bd, cym, sd, tri, tambn, glock, ratch
2nd harp is noted as optional in the score, but its absence would eliminate important lines; it is not possible to combine the two harp parts into one. The publisher may supply on request a version of the clarinet parts using only 3 players, and with transpositions more suitable for modern use (i.e., no clarinets in C or D). The provenance of this 1945 suite is not entirely clear. It is said that Strauss marked up a full opera score with cuts and inserts for Eugene Ormandy, and that this copy was used by The Philadelphia Orchestra for performances of the suite for many years. Possibly he did the same for Artur Rodzinski of the New York Philharmonic, who first conducted it on 5 October 1944. The composer then consented to its publication as a suite in 1945. No editor or arranger is credited in the publication.
Boosey
kathott
bugler
bugler

Post by kathott »

There is a short lyrical solo in the Suite (a moment normally taken by the tenor) not actually contained in the tuba part, but often requested by conductors. I cannot find my excerpt containing this, but I recall that it is towards the end, in a slow 3/4, consisting of a descending E major triad (beginning on 4th space G#), The other excerpt shown above is usually conducted "one in a bar", and kind of scary.
Last edited by kathott on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schmenge Kaiser EEb, 3 valve (two rotors, one piston), with a Kosicup mouthpiece (9.2 mm)
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

Not to belabor this, I bring up bloke's inquiry and some responses from a similar discussion from the past because I, too, have a performance of Der Rosenkavalier Suite in a few weeks and would like some consensus (if that's ever possible--or even advised) on which horn to deploy and any other salient points about this piece.
bloke wrote:- Having the music to the complete opera, none of the passages are particularly "hard", and (it seems to me) point towards using an "F tuba".
- Though tuba parts to orchestra music are always easier than violin parts, tuba parts are also typically LOUD, and when one is BOTH "loud" and "wrong", one is soon judged by others as "stupid". Therefore, I would like to show up prepared to play this music (regardless of difficulty level) at the first rehearsal. :wink:

Thanks ! :D
Post by Chris Olka » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:01 pm

Played this many times. Always used CC. Would work fine on either. Fairly straightforward except for one nasty lick at the end. You'll know it when you see it. However, nothing a little practice won't knock out. Beautiful music but be prepared to sit through most of it. Enjoy,
Chris Olka

post by Dean E » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:14 pm

The Reston (Virginia) Community Orchestra has this programed for a November concert. It will be sight reading for me, and I'm going to take my big F (Yamaha YFB 822). I'll make sure to go over the ending, and thanks for the warning.
Dean

Post by Rochester2013 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:49 pm

The ending isn't really that bad, after a bit of practice (as Chris said). I can't remember a lot about the part (I played it on my CC) but I think it was better played on the CC.

Have fun!
BTW, there is one semi-exposed ascending C-Major arpeggio on dotted half notes from C second space up to C above the staff.

Any other comments?
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
The Brute Squad
bugler
bugler

Post by The Brute Squad »

kathott wrote:There is a short lyrical solo in the Suite (a moment normally taken by the tenor) not actually contained in the tuba part, but often requested by conductors. I cannot find my excerpt containing this, but I recall that it is towards the end, in a slow 3/4, consisting of a descending E major triad (beginning on 4th space G#).
Resurrecting this topic for the quoted solo (it's at rehearsal 47). I'm playing it with my orchestra this cycle, and that excerpt is both an addition taped onto the part AND crossed out. I suppose it's up to the conductor in the end, but has anyone had experience with a conductor either specifically asking for it or specifically telling you not to play it?
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Orchestra Grand Cup, Symphony American shank)
rodmathews
bugler
bugler

Post by rodmathews »

The lick you posted is the only really tricky spot and it goes by fast. Just played it a few weeks ago. Some really great listening in that piece. :-)

Rod