Visit to BBC today

The bulk of the musical talk
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Visit to BBC today

Post by bort »

I'm in Baltimore for a few days visiting my family. I grew up about 3 miles from BBC, so I went over to the shop today. Here are a few opinions on the tubas I got to try:

Miraphone Bruckner -- Loved it! It's a noticeably smaller tuba than my Willson both in terms of physical size and sound, but still a very strong and capable tuba. Having owned a 1291 in the past, it really just seemed like a 1291 with rotary valves; which I thought was a good thing. It also reminded me of a 188, but broader and can handle a lot more pushing without breaking up. Killer low register, and perfect ergonomics for me. Not what I would call a 5/4 tuba, but rather a big 4/4 tuba that you can really get behind and push. I like that, instead of having a big tuba that you need to hold back. What a great tuba, I could easily be happy with one of these.

Meinl Weston Ursus -- Extremely easy to play, and an absolute monster of a low register. Plays and sounds like a huge piston tuba, but in a 4/4 size. Kind of crazy, really. But, it's not my sound profile at all, so while that was fun, it was all the wrong sound for me... so for that, I was not interested. I also found the ergonomics to be awkward in many ways (short leadpipe, weird 5th valve [long throw!], and enormous top bow/branches that are odd to hold). Great playing and sounding tuba, but perhaps it fits Mr. Baer's ergonomic requirements better than mine? :oops:

Rudy Meinl 5/4 -- Huge tuba, but it feels and plays a lot more reasonable when you're holding it. I think it's about 2 clicks larger than the Rudy 4/4, so that's a little weird to me. Massive sound and a lot of fun to play... but it takes a LOT of air. A better player might have an easier time of it, but I thought it took a bit of work.

Willson 3050 piston -- Similar to my rotary 3050, but I prefer the sound of my rotary 3050, which is a bit more focused than the broadness of this tuba. But, this one plays great and there's nothing at all bad about it; might be my favorite large piston CC tuba.

Scherzer CC -- This has been there forever, so I thought I'd finally give it a try. It's a lot like a Miraphone 186 that doesn't break up as easily. It's very much a standard 4/4 sized tuba, but it sounded and played a little larger than I expected. I liked it. Smaller than I want for myself, but I liked it.

Conn rotary BBb -- A very old 6/4 Conn BBb rotary tuba, and one of the worst tubas I've ever played. Maybe it needs repairs, or maybe I'm just a pathetic BBb player... but I couldn't get more than half of a scale out of it to save my life. I kept wondering what the hell I was doing wrong, and never figured it out. That said, the low BBb at FF was probably the biggest, loudest, most satisfying and earth moving note I've ever played. But everything besides that just didn't work at all for me. Yikes. :roll:
Rev Rob
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Visit to BBC today

Post by Rev Rob »

Going to BBC is a brass players delight. So many possibilities, so little time and money.
Beginning again to be a tuba player.
1291 King Double B flat with detachable bell.
"The hills are alive, with the sound of (tuba) music."
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

Did you get a chance to try the Piggy?
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

I think we know why that Conn rotary is not on their website yet. Been meaning to go there and try some of their more recent stock...........
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Awesome, thanks for posting!

For the Conn rotary, did you find it all around really hard to play? That low BBb was one of the the most awesome notes I've ever played, but the rest of the notes made it feel like I have never even played a tuba before. I wanted to like that tuba SO much...

Wish I had been able to try that 345, but it wasn't there when I visited!
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I got to play the JP 379B over the weekend (the smaller BBb) and it is nice enough to get me off pistons.

They also had an MM version of the same horn and although it sounded OK, the valves were clanky and tired. I don't know if $600-$800 would fix that.

Was the JP worth twice as much??

YES!!

Is it worth 3 times as much??

Not sure... but it is obviously a better constructed horn all around.

Also went to Bills Music and the Trax on Wax record store. Should have hung out for lunch...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Four valves? Heresy!
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I'm ashamed of what I've become. :(
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Three Valves wrote:I'm ashamed of what I've become. :(
Stay on this path and you'll soon end up with five valves.

I hear some heathens use six, AND tuning slide triggers.