Gig Bag Talk

The bulk of the musical talk
mbass
bugler
bugler

Gig Bag Talk

Post by mbass »

I just recently acquired a new (to me) tuba in a trade. I currently have a Pro-Tec gig bag that's gotten the job done, but is started to show it's age. What gig bag brands are people out there using for a 4 front action piston valve horn? I've looked into Glenn Cronkhite bags, but I'm under the impression that he just recently retired from the business. I've also looked into Altieri, but I am also open for other suggetions.
Matthew Simpson
mbass
bugler
bugler

Re: Gig Bag Talk

Post by mbass »

It's a Jupiter 584L.
Matthew Simpson
Ferguson
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ferguson »

I believe Horn Guys still has a Cronkhite in stock for the 584.

-F
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

On a tangent, do gig bags exist for tubas with recording bells?

I admit i expect they do (or at least can) exist, i just have not seen them, although i expect that is mostly due to not yet looking for them...
Thanks for playing!
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

You should definitely consider whether you want side loading or top loading. I prefer top loading, although I know many who don't. Hold the bag with one hand and drop the tuba in with the other. You can even hold the bag near a 45 degree angle to the floor and still drop a heavy tuba into it without having to lift it up around chest height. No need to place the bag on a dirty floor someplace and then have that dirt get on your back. I don't know that this has ever happened, but I've thought about it. What if the zipper breaks on a side loading bag? Not good.

I own and have owned several Altieri bags. They keep getting better over the years. Yeah, they look like a bags (a kid could sleep in one), but it does the job and the straps are mounted lower on the bag than most. This keeps the bag from slapping you in the butt as you walk. They have ample storage too. They are also made to whatever specs you ask for, if you order directly from Donna Altieri. If the fit isn't right when you get it, they'll make you another one. I've always been very happy with their bags and service.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I think that Cronkhite makes the best side-loaders, and Gotz makes the best top loaders. The Miraphone top loaders are also great, but are made for Miraphonea, so fitting other brands isn't always easy or possible.

Personally, I don't like Alteiri bags at all. I have had and used a few before, and just didn't like a single thing about them. Other people seem to like them and have no problem.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I find myself laughing when people talk about holding the top loader with one hand and lowering the tuba into it with the other. Sure, if you can a) lift the tuba with one hand to start with, and b) you don't have to raise it higher than your arm can reach to get it above the top of the bag. I found an auto upholstery place locally that I'm taking my otherwise fine Altieri to tomorrow, to see what they say about putting a zipper down the side, and maybe incorporating the bonnet somehow to make it a one-piece side zipping bag that I can actually handle without dire danger to the tuba due to extreme awkwardness in the handling. I'm sure it will take two trips, first to have them look at the material and understand what I am wanting, and second, if they are game, to make sure it doesn't end up too small to work. And third, of course, is that it isn't more expensive than something like a new Protec that would just work out of the box.
mbass
bugler
bugler

Post by mbass »

I've never had a preference between top and side loading cases. I've owned both and found merit to each of them. Looks like I may be giving Horn Guys a call tomorrow to see if they have a case in stock that will fit. Also, I think Altieri does make a gig bag to fit a recording bell, at least, that's how I interpreted their website.
Matthew Simpson
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

humBell wrote:On a tangent, do gig bags exist for tubas with recording bells?

I admit i expect they do (or at least can) exist, i just have not seen them, although i expect that is mostly due to not yet looking for them...
Yeah Altieri has an XL bag that can be spec'd for recording bells
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

"And third, of course, is that it isn't more expensive than something like a new Protec that would just work out of the box."

If it comes down to a ProTec bag, as an owner of both 2 ProTec and 2 Wessex bags, I would recommend the
Wessex over the ProTec. It is better-built and, usually, cheaper. Get in touch with Andy in Michigan so he can recommend the bag with the best fit. My last one was @$135. plus shipping. Nicely made modified side opening: it doesn't zip around the bell, but the whole side lays open about 4" past the bell and it's pretty easy to get the tuba into it. This has the advantage of keeping the bell better protected in it's "cage". Their service is first-rate, too.
Bearin' up!
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Post by BopEuph »

I recall reading on TubeNet some years ago that there was a custom guitar gig bag maker who was taking orders for tuba cases and making them quite affordable?
Nick
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Post by BopEuph »

58mark wrote:that was my thread , and the last time I approached that guy about doing another gigbag, he did not seem too interested
Oh, well, that's disappointing.
Nick
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

I recently saw 2 GARD bags for euphonium, that looked like they were modeled after the Cronkhite. They may be making a tuba bag as well. With the retirement of Glen Cronkhite, I believe there is a vacuum that SHOULD be filled by someone. I never liked the top-loaders. FOR ME, it is just too awkward to lift the tuba up to high enough to slip into the bag, ESPECIALLY if it is a big, tall tuba, like a Willson 3050, Mirafone 191, or a Tuono. With a side loader, you put the case down, and open it up, drop the tuba in and zip all around. ARE there side loaders out there?