Wood Mouthpiece Jeu Natural

The bulk of the musical talk
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Wood Mouthpiece Jeu Natural

Post by Biggs »

I received a jeunatural wood mouthpiece for my birthday (ref: http://www.jeunaturel.com/shop/18984727/tuba" target="_blank" target="_blank). Is anyone else familiar with these? What do you use yours for? It's very beautiful, very comfortable, and makes a nice sound, but touchy (at least initially, having never blown one before) in terms of pressure on the rim.

I know I've seen them discussed here before and yes, I tried the search function. No, I couldn't locate anything searching by brand name. 'Wood' produces 90 pages of results. Searching by 'mouthpiece' is impossible.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Wood Mouthpiece Jeu Natural

Post by Donn »

Built in search function is kind of waste of time. The page should present brief instructions for using an online search engine instead, which is pretty easy. With google:
"jeu site:chisham.com" will turn up the old thread, first hit.
jeu-naturel mouthpieces
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

Donn wrote:Built in search function is kind of waste of time. The page should present brief instructions for using an online search engine instead, which is pretty easy. With google:
"jeu site:chisham.com" will turn up the old thread, first hit.
jeu-naturel mouthpieces
Welp, I am dumb: I followed these steps and saw my earlier attempt at this same feat when, apparently, I had typed in "jeu naturel site:chisam.com" and then assumed I had lost my mind when nothing came up. Always proofread, kids.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Interesting that the shank would also be wood. There's some other make from Europe where the cup is wood, but the shank is brass (or some metal). I think they offered nylon rims as well, but I could be trippin'.

Anyway, please get back to us and let us know what you think, after you've played this piece for a while.

Barry Grrr-ero
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Kanstul offers custom wooden cups with metal shanks and rims. I don't know if they do anything other than trumpet mouthpieces with wood.

http://kanstul.com/MPcustomWoody.php
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Wouldn't it be cool if Kanstul offered their Geib with a 'woody' cup.