Repairmen job market

The bulk of the musical talk
Matt Brown
lurker
lurker

Repairmen job market

Post by Matt Brown »

As I'm getting closer to finishing my music education degree, I've started thinking more about having another plan for if educating just doesn't work out. In trying to do my own research I found that most of the articles online are pretty dated so I don't know how accurate they still are. I don't personally know any repair guys in my area, but I know that some of the regulars of this forum have quite a bit of experience in the instrument repair field. My questions are, what are the appropriate steps to take to get a foot in the door to start being able to learn about repair work? And, is there still a viable job market for repair work that would make the extra time investment worthwhile?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Repairmen job market

Post by Three Valves »

I took Musical Instrument Repair in College as an elective. (U of Delaware)

I should have paid attention...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Post by BopEuph »

A friend of mine actually learned repair simply so he doesn't have to pay someone else to fix his trumpet. He's gotten so good at it, it's probably his largest source of income. What I like about it is that just by being a musician he gets repair work:

On a gig, he'll fix horns right there while they wait.

He is a clinician at the public schools, and goes in to run sectionals and leaves with a car stuffed with money...err...instruments.

He just told me last night that he goes to unpaid band rehearsals simply because by doing so, he ends up fixing a handful of horns.

You might make better money on it than teaching...or it would be a good addition to teaching!

I'd say go on Craigslist, pick up a dirt cheap trumpet, and see if you can fix it up. If you can fix it, turn around and sell it. My friend actually learned by flipping horns.
Nick
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Two years at one of the repair school will give you only enough general knowledge to start making lots of mistakes if you go out on your own. After you leave school is when you REALLY begin to learn practical things. A couple of additional years working along side of pros is where most repairmen get a good start. If you want to get really deep into doing things other than just cleaning, adjusting, and replacing parts.... a background in practical machine work or some sort of mechanical engineerig will be a BIG help.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Do brass instrument techs ever "double" in HVAC/plumbing??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

If you want to do more than chem-cleanng horns and taking out stuck mouthpieces, you'll need some training in specifics. I have only seen how woodwind instruments work but to regulate all of those linkages and make them work like the player expected, it will take some instruction and practice. As Dan says, if you want to be able to make parts where none are easily available, you will need machining and fabrication skills. There are a number of repair schools you could attend and then work alongside a pro for awhile to learn what you really need. I've seen the best at work and there is so much more to the job than I ever imagined. And, on top of the raw skill, you have to do it fast and frequently to make any money at it.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

So basically, you let them mow the lawn and feed the chickens so you can work!!
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Three Valves wrote:I took Musical Instrument Repair in College as an elective. (U of Delaware)

I should have paid attention...
This is really cool - I wish my Alma Mater would have had this option..... :cry:
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".